• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Christians only: Do you believe Jews can go to heaven w/o accepting Christ?

ohhcuppycakee

The title pretty much says it all. I found out some people have this view awhile ago and want to know what the Christians on this forum think. So...do you believe the Jews are the only people that can get to heaven without accepting Jesus Christ as their savior?

laffy_taffy

The title pretty much says it all. I found out some people have this view awhile ago and want to know what the Christians on this forum think. So...do you believe the Jews are the only people that can get to heaven without accepting Jesus Christ as their savior?

Their savior from what?

Shermana

Heretic
What does "Go to heaven" mean exactly? The Kingdom of Heaven is something regarding the here and now in this life, and it fully involves actions and the message behind the parables. The afterlife he speaks of is a different concept, where the dead are "judged by their works". Jesus even says that its better to chop off your hand (and foot and eye and other members) than to go to the fire, and he says this to his OWN DISCIPLES. Obviously, believing in Jesus is not clearly enough to "go to heaven" in the afterlife sense. The Kingdom is something one must strive for, and the Lawless are definitely prohibited, in Jesus' own words. The Pharisees and Sadducees in their day had corrupted Jewish Law to suit their own doctrines, and it is that which he spoke out against, the artificial rulings that denied people the true understanding of what it meant to do good works and live rightoeusly which caused them to enter the "Good limbo", or the "Bosom of Abraham". See LUke 16:17-31, emphasis on 31.

"I have not come for the righteous"--what does that mean?

And what does Jesus mean when he says "I have not come for anyone but the Lost sheep of the House of Israel"?

The concept of "heaven" and "afterlife" are very confusing issues for those who don't come from the initial Jewish mindset that Jesus was teaching to and coming from.

Truly, the only way to live in the Kingdom of Heaven is to obey the teachings of Yashua and accept him as the Guilt Offering, in original "Messianic Jewish" theology, of which Christianity in its early form was naught but a Sect of Judaism.

So thus, most religious Jews who obey the Law and do good works are in far better standing with the Kingdom of Heaven than 99% of Christians who think they only have to claim to believe in Jesus and not actually obey the Mosaic Law and do good works. And they have plenty of "Theologies" to get out of doing what Jesus actually commands to do, that won't help. Mere "Belief" in Jesus will not send one to Heaven or cause them to be "Saved". James and Jude are quite clear as well on this.

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

accepting Christ is the prerequisite for entry to heaven for all people, both jews and gentiles.

John 14:6 Jesus said to him: “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I think you know what I mean. It's used a lot. "Jesus Christ, our Lord, and savior..." Savior from sins, I presume.

Jesus is the savior from death

Only we can remove sin from ourselves because sin are the things we do. But we cannot save ourselves from death...we are all bound to die unless Gods saves us from death and Jesus is the one he will use to accomplish that.

2 Timothy 1:10 but now it has been made clearly evident through the manifestation of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has abolished death but has shed light upon life and incorruption through the good news,

Hebrews 2:15 and [that] he might emancipate all those who for fear of death were subject to slavery all through their lives.

Revelation 21:4 And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away

Last edited:

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist

No and yes. I think everyone can go to heaven, and Jesus is not the only way. Jesus is simply one way.

Muffled

Jesus in me
accepting Christ is the prerequisite for entry to heaven for all people, both jews and gentiles.

John 14:6 Jesus said to him: “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me

However believing that Jesus is the "way" and accepting Jesus as Savior are two different things.

Man proposes but God disposes. If God feels he needs more salt and light in this world he just might send a person into another life.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
There are no "Reservations"that can be made for Heaven.
What ever you believe Heaven to be, and I hold the liberal Christian view that heaven is not a place. Then, to return to the presence of God is the inevitable result of dying.
We shall all have the opportunity to be reconciled to God.

Jesus teachings left us a path to follow and those that follow that path are doing God's will.

However we all fail, and it is God's grace alone that eventually lets us in. We are not handed out free passes along the way. We all pass through that narrow gate through which sin can not enter.

Muffled

Jesus in me
There are no "Reservations"that can be made for Heaven.
What ever you believe Heaven to be, and I hold the liberal Christian view that heaven is not a place. Then, to return to the presence of God is the inevitable result of dying.
We shall all have the opportunity to be reconciled to God.

Jesus teachings left us a path to follow and those that follow that path are doing God's will.

However we all fail, and it is God's grace alone that eventually lets us in. We are not handed out free passes along the way. We all pass through that narrow gate through which sin can not enter.

That doesn't mean that the liberal view is the correct view.

This isn't the case as Paul said "I will ever be with the Lord." Dying puts us in a purely spirtual state which is the state that God is in but those who wish to ignore God continue to do so.

No doubt God disposes according to grace, however not everyone is knocking on the door to be let in.

You are contradicting yourself. Either it is by grace or it isn't. I agree that there are no free passes for anyone but neither are there any requirements other than a desire to go there. As Paul put it: Rom 5:6 Being therefore always of good courage, and knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord
7 (for we walk by faith, not by sight);
8 we are of good courage, I say, and are willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be at home with the Lord.
9 Wherefore also we make it our aim, whether at home or absent, to be well-pleasing unto him.

chazz

Jesus’ told many parables relating to Gods Kingdom

Parable of the Weeds
"The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a man who sowed good seed in his field; but while men where sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away. So when the plants came up and bore grain, then the weeds appeared also. And the servants of the householder came and said to him, 'Sir, did you not sow good seed in your field? How then has it weeds?' He said to them, 'An enemy has done this.' The servants said to him, 'Then do you want us to go and gather them?' But he said, 'No; lest in gathering the weeds you root up the wheat along with them. Let both grow together until the harvest; and at harvest time I will tell the reapers, Gather the weeds first and bind them in bundles to be burned, but gather the wheat into my barn.'" (Matthew 3:24-30)
Jesus’ Explanation
"Then he left the crowds and went into the house. And his disciples came to him, saying, "Explain to us the parable of the weeds of the field." He answered, "He who sows the good seed is the Son of man; the field is the world, and the good seed means the sons of the kingdom; the weeds are the sons of the evil one, and the enemy who sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the close of the age, and the reapers are angels. Just as the weeds are gathered and burned with fire, so will it be at the close of the age. The Son of man will send his angels, and they will gather out of his kingdom all causes of sin and all evildoers, and throw them into the furnace of fire; there men will weep and gnash their teeth. Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears, let him hear." (Matthew 13:36-43)

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
That doesn't mean that the liberal view is the correct view.

This isn't the case as Paul said "I will ever be with the Lord." Dying puts us in a purely spirtual state which is the state that God is in but those who wish to ignore God continue to do so.

No doubt God disposes according to grace, however not everyone is knocking on the door to be let in.

You are contradicting yourself. Either it is by grace or it isn't. I agree that there are no free passes for anyone but neither are there any requirements other than a desire to go there. As Paul put it: Rom 5:6 Being therefore always of good courage, and knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord
7 (for we walk by faith, not by sight);
8 we are of good courage, I say, and are willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be at home with the Lord.
9 Wherefore also we make it our aim, whether at home or absent, to be well-pleasing unto him.

I should Have said "A" liberal Christian view as we, like all Christians, come in many flavours.
Most Christians have a very misty Idea of what they believe Heaven to be, or even when they expect to end up there.
On the question of Salvation I am very much of the Arminian view with an even greater universal aspect to eventual salvation. As can be seen from my first post.

Calvin's reworking of the ideas of Augustine of Hippo I find as unbelievable as predestination itself.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
You are contradicting yourself. Either it is by grace or it isn't. I agree that there are no free passes for anyone but neither are there any requirements other than a desire to go there.

There are to aspects to this Idea.
1) what we do in this life should be based on following the teachings of Jesus....
Why? ... not because we can gain any particular merit in doing so, But because Jesus makes clear that it was God's will. Not doing so will also increase our oportunity to sin.

Judgement, sin, forgiveness and the grace of God are closely related in ways never made clear. However I am sure they appy to all of us Christian or not.

2) I would not inclued a desire to enter Heaven, in any qualification to achieve that aim. It is more a question of... Does God wish us to be with him in a sinful state?
There is clearly a mechanism that God uses to to cleanse us. it includes enlightenment, repentance, forgiveness and Grace.

Faith whilst alive is of benefit to the life we lead, and how that effects the world. It effects Gods plan in the way we live and what we do to further that plan.

It should not concern us what happens next....
To labour and not ask for any reward ...comes to mind.

Madtown

No one can go to heaven without accepting Christ, Jew or Gentile.

And, if someone never has the opportunity to hear/learn about Christ, through no fault of their own, because of the region of the world they were born into? What will become of them?

pwfaith

And, if someone never has the opportunity to hear/learn about Christ, through no fault of their own, because of the region of the world they were born into? What will become of them?

Good question :) My personal belief is that God knows how much is revealed to each of us and we will be judged fairly and accordingly. Scripture says God has clearly revealed Himself in nature (Romans 1:20) and in the hearts of people (Ecc. 3:11). “But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul.” In other words everyone who truly seeks after God will find Him. People are responsible to God for what God has revealed to them.

A while ago I researched what happened to the OT believers, since Christ had not come yet. It was rather informative. One of the things I learned was that the requirement for salvation has always been faith. The object of one's faith for salvation has always been God, and the way to God is through Christ. The thing that has changed over time is the content of a person's faith - what must be believed is based on the amount of revelation God has given that individual up to that time.

Before Jesus and before the Scriptures were written, people believed and had faith. I don't see why the same can't be true for those who live in remote parts of the world. IMO about 95% of the world (if not more) have heard, and they will be judged based upon what they have heard, just like those who have not. I firmly believe anyone who seeks to know God, will find Him and the truth of Christ will be revealed to them in some way. They may not have the same name for Christ as we do in English, but God sees their heart and knows.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Good question :) My personal belief is that God knows how much is revealed to each of us and we will be judged fairly and accordingly.
I like this.
I can believer whatever I believe so long as it's what I believe, & then I get to see all my believer friends in Heaven.
Woo hoo!

Otherwise, I feel sorry for all those Jews, Hindus, etc for spending all that time on religion, only to be turned away at the Pearly Gates.
Man, that would be harsh.

Madtown

Good question :) My personal belief is that God knows how much is revealed to each of us and we will be judged fairly and accordingly. Scripture says God has clearly revealed Himself in nature (Romans 1:20) and in the hearts of people (Ecc. 3:11). “But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul.” In other words everyone who truly seeks after God will find Him. People are responsible to God for what God has revealed to them.

A while ago I researched what happened to the OT believers, since Christ had not come yet. It was rather informative. One of the things I learned was that the requirement for salvation has always been faith. The object of one's faith for salvation has always been God, and the way to God is through Christ. The thing that has changed over time is the content of a person's faith - what must be believed is based on the amount of revelation God has given that individual up to that time.

Before Jesus and before the Scriptures were written, people believed and had faith. I don't see why the same can't be true for those who live in remote parts of the world. IMO about 95% of the world (if not more) have heard, and they will be judged based upon what they have heard, just like those who have not. I firmly believe anyone who seeks to know God, will find Him and the truth of Christ will be revealed to them in some way. They may not have the same name for Christ as we do in English, but God sees their heart and knows.

I like the answer, sounds to me like what you're saying is that if a person has a general feeling of a belief in God, that this is what is required for salvation? If so, then as long as one believes in God, they're on the right path. But, for someone who's never heard of Jesus, or the Bible, their version of God will be different than yours. They will worship God as they understand him to be. Even if they have faith, the details of that which they believe are different than what you believe. Isnt' this where we get into trouble, with one group of people asserting that their way of seeing God is superior to that other groups way of seeing God? Isn't this just why different religions exist?

I know I'm writing in general terms, but I tend to see flavors of religion as different routes up the same mountain. So, for me, I just never like to hear stuff like "only through accepting Christ" will someone attain salvation, because there will always be children of God on this earth that have never heard of Jesus or the Bible.