• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Trump, size clearly matters; reality, not so much

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I think if alive Jesus would want it in some form. For example, the Nordic Model used in the Scandinavian countries and the Netherlands creates significant cradle to grave security, so the poor are nowhere near as desperate as they are here for example: Nordic model - Wikipedia Charity alone has never been enough, and Jewish Law [halacha] recognized that.
:) I don’t presume to know the exact political position of Jesus. I think when He comes He will shows us.

Kenny

Premium Member
And your good book gives you no ideas about how to treat others and whether lying is ok? Ok we understand.
The best defense is a strong offense, no matter how wrong it is. But I understand! As we would say, Jesus and I still love you!

Pogo

The best defense is a strong offense, no matter how wrong it is. But I understand! As we would say, Jesus and I still love you!
Just maybe you ought not to be defending it then or is being strongly offensive the objective?

You seem to be claiming no morals except what sounds good to you and a kill em all, we will sort it out in heaven attitude. :(

Kenny

Premium Member
Just maybe you ought not to be defending it then or is being strongly offensive the objective?

You seem to be claiming no morals except what sounds good to you and a kill em all, we will sort it out in heaven attitude. :(

What “seems” may be your perspective. In my faith, I stand that we are all broken and need God to help us. I don’t stand saying “I am righteous and you are not”… I stand on “For all have sinned and come short to the glory of God."

I will be the first to say that I am not perfect. I strive to make the best decision possible, but know that I won’t always achieve the goal. (Just ask my wife). Paul said he was the chief sinner.

All within the context of my signature I would say, “Jesus loves you perfectly while I do the best I can”.

Tomef

what distorted and exaggerated views of “leadership” democrats? Why are “leaders” leaving?
That’s a good example - this notion that there’s some mass exodus of democrat leadership, with some vague sinister overtones added for effect. Making some big thing out of common happenings, as if that’s a way to understand the world. If you switch off your emotional reaction to it, sit down and add up the numbers of people in high office leaving which party and when, you’ll have some basis for thinking about what it might mean, if anything. But autocrats like Trump and their pet media outlets rely on people never thinking anything through in any meaningful sense.

Last edited:

Tomef

Why do Christians wait for Jesus for anything,
now that Trump has risen as their savior / prophet?
Jesus offers a good (unverifiable) excuse for doing what you feel. Different churches have different notions about what that means, in the US anything aggressively protective of conservative America is considered ‘good’ so Jesus gets co-opted into that as a kind of cover-all justification. Believers are somehow able to maintain the illusion that this came not from them but from Jesus.

Kenny

Premium Member
That’s a good example - this notion that there’s some mass exodus of democrat leadership, with some vague sinister overtones added for effect. Making some big thing out of common happenings, as if that’s a way to understand the world. If you switch off your emotional reaction to it, sit down and add up the numbers of people in high office leaving which party and when, you’ll have some basis for thinking about what it might mean, if anything. But autocrats like Trump and their pet media outlets rely on people never thinking anything through in any meaningful sense.

Democrats switching over to GOP in Pennsylvania at double the rate of Republicans​

Tomef

Democrats switching over to GOP in Pennsylvania at double the rate of Republicans​

What is it that you think this means? This frantic posting of things you haven't even read doesn't prove your notions about it are somehow logical.

Here's something for you - a balanced article on why large numbers of Republican elected officials are taking early retirement or choosing not to run for office again: https://edition.cnn.com/2024/02/19/politics/republicans-retiring-house/index.html

As you can easily find out, larger numbers that you quote here left during Trump's tenure (for example - Congressional Republicans Left Office In Droves Under Trump. Just How Conservative Are Their Replacements? )
Naturally, you will interpret that entirely differently - you should ask yourself why.

What does any of it mean? Whatever it does mean, you can be sure that your gut reaction, aka your propaganda conditioned reaction, is entirely wrong. There's a solution, though. You can look into it properly and find more out. That's how you get to understand things.

Kenny

Premium Member
What is it that you think this means? This frantic posting of things you haven't even read doesn't prove your notions about it are somehow logical.

Here's something for you - a balanced article on why large numbers of Republican elected officials are taking early retirement or choosing not to run for office again: https://edition.cnn.com/2024/02/19/politics/republicans-retiring-house/index.html

As you can easily find out, larger numbers that you quote here left during Trump's tenure (for example - Congressional Republicans Left Office In Droves Under Trump. Just How Conservative Are Their Replacements? )
Naturally, you will interpret that entirely differently - you should ask yourself why.

What does any of it mean? Whatever it does mean, you can be sure that your gut reaction, aka your propaganda conditioned reaction, is entirely wrong. There's a solution, though. You can look into it properly and find more out. That's how you get to understand things.
Goal post movement here.

Tomef

We were talking about high-profile Democrats and democrats in general and now you want to talk about Republicans… that is a goal post switch.
No, it isn’t. A goal post switch is where you set some parameter and someone tries to widen it. That’s not the kind of discussion we were having. The discussion we were having was whether or not your expressed ideas about the Democrat party are consistent with reality, or if they are wildly exaggerated and/or distorted beyond reasonable understanding. The purpose of the comparison is that you interpret the same events in different ways, depending on whether the terms ‘Republican’ or ‘Democrat’ are used, which demonstrates quite neatly that you haven’t thought any of the catastrophic things you post about the Democrat party through.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
:) I don’t presume to know the exact political position of Jesus. I think when He comes He will shows us.

So, you think Jesus would allow innocent people to suffer if he had his way? In the Parable of the Widow' Mite, he said she gave beyond her necessity, and "necessity" implies the teachings from halacha that includes mandating taking care of the widows and the poor. To go beyond that is referred to as "tzedakah"-- charitable giving beyond the law.

How many times does Jesus refer to the poor as being in need? Isn't that the main theme of Jesus' Parable of the Sheep & Goats? The latter believe about Jesus but not in his mandate to help those in need. To put it another way, Jesus basically implies that both the Law of taking care of the widows & needy is the responsibility of the religious and governmental authorities and us personally. The other option is just let the poor and widows suffer, and do you honestly believe Jesus would want that?

Kenny

Premium Member
No, it isn’t. A goal post switch is where you set some parameter and someone tries to widen it. That’s not the kind of discussion we were having. The discussion we were having was whether or not your expressed ideas about the Democrat party are consistent with reality, or if they are wildly exaggerated and/or distorted beyond reasonable understanding. The purpose of the comparison is that you interpret the same events in different ways, depending on whether the terms ‘Republican’ or ‘Democrat’ are used, which demonstrates quite neatly that you haven’t thought any of the catastrophic things you post about the Democrat party through.
But you haven’t addressed what I said. Sure a lot of Republicans are retiring as are Democrats. But it doesn’t change the reality that high-profile Dems are leaving as there are more Dems going to Rep than Reps going to Dems...

It translates that something is wrong with the direction of the leadership (not that the rank and file are wrong but the leadership)

Kenny

Premium Member
So, you think Jesus would allow innocent people to suffer if he had his way? In the Parable of the Widow' Mite, he said she gave beyond her necessity, and "necessity" implies the teachings from halacha that includes mandating taking care of the widows and the poor. To go beyond that is referred to as "tzedakah"-- charitable giving beyond the law.

How many times does Jesus refer to the poor as being in need? Isn't that the main theme of Jesus' Parable of the Sheep & Goats? The latter believe about Jesus but not in his mandate to help those in need. To put it another way, Jesus basically implies that both the Law of taking care of the widows & needy is the responsibility of the religious and governmental authorities and us personally. The other option is just let the poor and widows suffer, and do you honestly believe Jesus would want that?

I would say it this way...

We have so left the responsibility to “the government” that the “People” no longer care for the poor and the widows. By and large, when we see poor and/or widow and/or needs, we say “Don’t bother me, go to the government” instead of being the good Samaritan.

Let’s reduce the government and get back to our responsibilities!