• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Forgiveness of sins

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
This is a subject I find very difficult to understand; I personally find it very hard to forgive myself when I have wronged others. I have come to the conclusion (over the years) that I need to be able to forgive myself for sins I have commited; if it is a recent sin, I may be able to do something constructive, in atonement.

But what about the sins commited in the past ? - there is no way to make reparation; how do you all deal with the idea of forgiveness ? Do you feel the need to be able to forgive yourselves - and, if you do, how do you achive that?:)

Ardent Listener

michel said:
This is a subject I find very difficult to understand; I personally find it very hard to forgive myself when I have wronged others. I have come to the conclusion (over the years) that I need to be able to forgive myself for sins I have commited; if it is a recent sin, I may be able to do something constructive, in atonement.

But what about the sins commited in the past ? - there is no way to make reparation; how do you all deal with the idea of forgiveness ? Do you feel the need to be able to forgive yourselves - and, if you do, how do you achive that?:)
Michel,

Would you forgive another for the same sin? If I judge you correctly, the answer would be yes. Then forgive yourself and try not to repeat the sin.

As humans, our conduct will always be inperfect until we are united with God. But everything in the future will improve if we are making a sincer spiritual effort now.

You can make reparation by forgiving others for their trespasses.

God bless you dear one.

Ardent Listener.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I can forgive others, usually, but it takes awhile for me to forgive myself. I screw up and it sticks with me for a few weeks.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Luke Wolf said:
I can forgive others, usually, but it takes awhile for me to forgive myself. I screw up and it sticks with me for a few weeks.
I can always forgive others - that is easy. As you say, forgiving oneself if much much harder. Glad I am not the only one!:help:

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
One can never know for sure what drives others , so I think it natural to be a little harder on one's self . Remorse and a lot lot of other things come into play . Time is the only thing that I can think of that eases that remorse .

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
michel said:

Well, I don't know if this will help or not, but I think that when we refuse to forgive ourselves, it's almost as if we are telling Jesus that we aren't sure His sacrifice really paid for that sin. If we really have faith that He has forgiven us, that should be enough for us to forgive ourselves, too. I know that's sometimes easier said than done, though. There are a few things I've done in the past that I still have a hard time forgiving myself of, so I know where you're coming from.

Aqualung

Tasty
Katzpur said:
Well, I don't know if this will help or not, but I think that when we refuse to forgive ourselves, it's almost as if we are telling Jesus that we aren't sure His sacrifice really paid for that sin. If we really have faith that He has forgiven us, that should be enough for us to forgive ourselves, too. I know that's sometimes easier said than done, though. There are a few things I've done in the past that I still have a hard time forgiving myself of, so I know where you're coming from.
That is a really good way to look at it. The funny thing is, the first time I went to the LDS church, I got that same message, and it came at such a good time. Since then, I had kind of forgotten it, but it comes at a good time again. I think God is watching out for me, If I just take the time to look at what he's doing.

Linus

I deal with forgiveness by reminding that God will freely forgive me if I am truly willing to repent, truly repent, by making a change in my life.

I have a sermon on tape by an Irish preacher named Jim MacQuiggan (I think that is his name. If so, I think that is how it is spelled) about this very subject. It is a great sermon I wish I could share with the rest of you. He stresses the point that If you truly want forgiveness and want to make a change, God will forgive you, and do it gladly.

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
I can forgive others.
I know Jesus forgives me.
But still for some things I cannot forgive myself.

Does it matter? What counts is God's forgiveness, right?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Snowbear said:
I can forgive others.
I know Jesus forgives me.
But still for some things I cannot forgive myself.

Does it matter? What counts is God's forgiveness, right?
I think it matters - because if you are going around with a heavy weight of sins for which you cannot forgive yourself, you do not 'Love' yourself; until you can learn to love yourself, I don't believe you can understand fully the meaning of the word.:)

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
You're probably right. I don't love myself. I guess to be honest I probably don't really love anyone else either.

glasgowchick

Gives Glory to God !!!
michel said:
I can always forgive others - that is easy. As you say, forgiving oneself if much much harder. Glad I am not the only one!:help:

Hi Michel, I mess up a lot of times and sometimes I feel so miserable about it for days on end, Sometimes It is hard to let go of our mistakes but our comfort being if we repent and take it to God we can be sure of Gods forgiveness..
Eph 1:7 In Him we have redemption through His Blood, The forgiveness of our trespasses according to the riches of His Grace..

Take Heart Michel, we all mess up in one way or another... :(

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
michel said:
I think it matters - because if you are going around with a heavy weight of sins for which you cannot forgive yourself, you do not 'Love' yourself; until you can learn to love yourself, I don't believe you can understand fully the meaning of the word.:)
Michel
You need to try to look at the problem from another viewpoint.
1) God always forgives........So you are forgiven
2) God never said he would remove the memory of sin.
3) it is momory of sin that is the problem
4) memory of sin has a positive benefit, It helps us not to sin again.

You should learn to love the NEW YOU, you don't need to love the OLD YOU.

The new you is the one that is living in Gods Grace.

Terry

jorylore

michel said:

Your post reminds me of this scripture: "My own errors have passed over my head; like a heavy load they are too heavy for me. I have grown numb and become crushed to an extreme degree; I have roared due to the groaning of my heart." (Ps 38:4,8)

I have certainly felt that way about errors I've committed in the past. What helped me find relief from the brden of guilt was understanding more fully how completely God forgives us. Acts 3:19 says: "Repent, therefore, and turn around so as to get your sins blotted out." In other words, when God forgives our sins, due to our being truly repentant, it is as though he takes a sponge and wipes them away. We need not fear that he will hold such sins agains us in the future, for the Bible reveals that when he forgives, he forgets! (Jer 31:34) This doesn't mean that he can't recall past sins but just that he does not bring our sins up again and again in order to accuse or punish us over and over.

As imitators of God, then, we must forgive ourselves, not accusing ourselves over and over again for things we did in the past. This is so important. If we become "swallowed up" by guilt, Satan may try to get us to give up, to feel that we are not worthy of serving God. (2 Co 2:5-7, 11) Part of the gift God gives is a clean conscience. (1 Pe 3:21) Take your gift and enjoy it, Michael. I'm sure you deserve it. ;)

Hazel

I think the "heavy weight of sins for which you cannot forgive yourself" is also one way that satan works to make us stumble. He wants us to feel guilty about what God has forgiven us for. He wants to drag us down with guilt. If you've repented genuinely, you are forgiven.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
MyWebsite said:
The Law of Grace -Forgiveness
We avoid Forgiveness because we have the mistaken idea that forgiveness means we condone or agree with the actions of others! Forgiveness does not mean letting others abuse you. Forgiveness does not require that you extend trust. This kind of forgiveness is not dependent on the other person changing.

Forgiving someone involves two parties - the injured and the perpetrator.
1) Circumstances may be such that the injury was an accident and the perpetrator is horrified and asking what they can do to make amends. In this case the path to forgiveness is already paved with possibilities, and the injured has but to specify what is required to make amends and the two parties will begin to heal each other.
2) Circumstances may be such that the injury was an accident but the perpetrator in denial. “Nothing happened, and even if it did -it wasn't their fault.” In this case forgiving the injury must take place on separate paths.
3) Circumstances may also be such that the injury was deliberate, but was a result of a disagreement, a fight, and fault lies all around. One was pushed beyond his limits and lashed out. In these cases forgiveness usually progresses rapidly, as both parties are clearly cognizant of the underlying currents and the shared responsibility for what has happened.
4) Forgiveness is most difficult where the injury is deliberate and no fault lies with the injured - a true victim, an innocent. The perpetrator has savaged the injured for sport, for a power trip, or to simply gratify themselves. In these cases forgiveness seems inappropriate. Forgiving someone even though they don’t ask for it or accept responsibility is very important. Otherwise we hold resentment towards that person or circumstance.
Forgiveness is:
---It is letting go of any expectation thaat the other person will change.
---It is letting go of any expectation of apology, or of recognition and acknowledgement of wrong-doing.
---It is acknowledging to yourself that the other person acted in the only way that this person could act.
Forgiveness of self is often hardest to do. Just remember that forgiveness is sometimes simply accepting the fact that the past cannot be changed, and that everything, including your mistakes, happen for a reason. The bible is full of stories about how one person's wrong doing, put someone in the right place for God to work through them.

flacsmada

I agree with minus. God forgave us when we accept Him by accepting Jesus Christ into our hearts. Paul refers to forgiveness as past tense we are already forgiven because the Blood of Jesus paid for our sins "once and for all" hebrews. The psalmist david says of GOd's children that He throws there sins as far as the east is from the west(forever) and washes us as white as snow. All that to say as a child of my King i am forgiven and it is me that has to realize that and accept God's grace.
Also guilt is a form of control. We try to control the situation by holding onto it. Paul says" it is for freedom CHrist has set us free." Gal 5:1 So therefore, live in the freedom and abundant life God promises by accepting His gift of grace, because we all know guilt is one of the heaviest burdens we carry, heavier by far than the actual wrong we committed. It is not wrong to forgive ourselves we dont have to hold onto it to make it right, as Jesus says "you are forgiven dear child, now go and sin no more." ANd He says that every time we sin. I hoped this helps.

Adam

Scott1

michel said:
This is a subject I find very difficult to understand; I personally find it very hard to forgive myself when I have wronged others.I have come to the conclusion (over the years) that I need to be able to forgive myself for sins I have commited; if it is a recent sin, I may be able to do something constructive, in atonement.
What is so important about forgiving yourself?
But what about the sins commited in the past ? - there is no way to make reparation;
Yes there is.:D
how do you all deal with the idea of forgiveness ?
I think you already know... but maybe this link may help: Divine Mercy.
Do you feel the need to be able to forgive yourselves - and, if you do, how do you achive that?:)
I don't worry about forgiving myself... our society moves more and more every day towards a culture that has lost their sense of sin... a culture that views guilt and conscience and things to "overcome" ... I personally worry about not sinning again in the future, and after confessing my sins no longer have a need to forgive myself.

Peace Michel,
Scott

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Scott1 said:
What is so important about forgiving yourself?
Yes there is.:D
I think you already know... but maybe this link may help: Divine Mercy.
I don't worry about forgiving myself... our society moves more and more every day towards a culture that has lost their sense of sin... a culture that views guilt and conscience and things to "overcome" ... I personally worry about not sinning again in the future, and after confessing my sins no longer have a need to forgive myself.

Peace Michel,
Scott
Thank you for the link Scott;

maybe it is just me; somehow i feel that I cannot expect God to forgive me if I can't forgive myself - I think there is something wrong with my way of thinking, but I can't sort it out. I ave asked God for guidance, and the message I get is always one of 'you are forgiven' - for some reason, I find that so hard to accept.:eek:

Scott1

michel said:
maybe it is just me; somehow i feel that I cannot expect God to forgive me if I can't forgive myself
Again, what leads you to believe you have the right or need to forgive yourself?
for some reason, I find that so hard to accept.:eek:
Yep... it's a tough one... praying for ya!