• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freedom of religion in Ukraine?

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
Not for many Russian Orthodox under a new law.

Kirill is not the point. Thank you Pope Francis for standing up against the Ukrainian government on this issue. Another reason to stop flushing money away in Ukraine, IMHO.

anna.

colors your eyes with what's not there
Not for many Russian Orthodox under a new law.

Kirill is not the point. Thank you Pope Francis for standing up against the Ukrainian government on this issue. Another reason to stop flushing money away in Ukraine, IMHO.

What are your thoughts about Patriarch Bartholomew?

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
Francis is Wrong in this, it an Orthodox matter. And the Russian orthodox church in Ukraine is acting as and encouraging traitors to Ukraine.

So you support restricting the rights of the (non OCU) Russian Orthodox in Ukraine? I think Francis got this exactly right, but since this is posted in the news section I am not sure if debating it is allowed? This news has received very little attention in the west, so I wanted to mention it.

anna.

colors your eyes with what's not there
Generally, I really like him but do not agree with what he did in regard to the OCU - he enabled a schism.

Do the Orthodox in Ukraine align with him? That is, can they observe their religion freely under him rather than Kirill?

I'm reading here that the "majority of Orthodox belong to the independent OCU, while a minority remain the Moscow-controlled UOC."

So maybe you can help explain, since I'm not Orthodox.

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
The problem is that as an organized institution, the Orthodox church has sided with Putin and has taken upon itself to spy and meddle on his behalf. Obviously being an active enemy of the state doesn't fall under religious freedom. It's a disingenuous mischaracterization.

It is precisely a question of religious freedom.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
So you support restricting the rights of the (non OCU) Russian Orthodox in Ukraine? I think Francis got this exactly right, but since this is posted in the news section I am not sure if debating it is allowed? This news has received very little attention in the west, so I wanted to mention it.
Francis can suck on a hot tail pipe over this for saying Ukraine needa to be the one to pursue peace with a violent dictator who invaded them amd basically give up and fall under a regime more corrupt than Zalenski's has ever been.
And, of course, Putin doesn't allow for freedom.

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
Francis can suck on a hot tail pipe over this for saying Ukraine needa to be the one to pursue peace with a violent dictator who invaded them amd basically give up and fall under a regime more corrupt than Zalenski's has ever been.
And, of course, Putin doesn't allow for freedom.

So your answer is no, Russian Orthodox living in Ukraine should not be allowed to worship freely. Got it.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Is Zelenskii a Christian, by chance?

No he is not.

I am really glad he liberated himself, unleashing his real nature.

In Italy we take Christianity very seriously.

And all Catholics will express their sympathy towards the entire Orthodox world.
Which may seem divided, but it is NOT

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Is Zelenskii a Christian, by chance?

No he is not.

I am really glad he liberated himself, unleashing his real nature.
So you're denigrating Zeklenskyy for being Jewish? What's his nature? Defending the lives, land, and liberty of his people?
In Italy we take Christianity very seriously.
Do you? You believe Christ abides unprovoked invasions and war crimes?
And all Catholics will express their sympathy towards the entire Orthodox world.
Which may seem divided, but it is NOT
Why should a church be allowed to committed treason and espionage with impunity?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
From what I can tell, Pope Francis is giving his opinion.
When the pope speaks publicly he is not only giving an opinion he is speaking for the Catholic church.
He does not and cannot speak for the orthodox church that is the right and duty of Bartholomew.