• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gabriel is not an angel according to Quran

Contrary to common belief, according to Quran, Gabriel and Michael are not angels. People refer constantly to Gabriel as “the angel Gabriel” and Michael as “the angel Michael”. A close reading of the Quran shows that this is not true:
2:98 Anyone who opposes GOD, and His angels, and His messengers, and Gabriel and Michael, should know that GOD opposes the disbelievers.
66:4 If the two of you repent to GOD, then your hearts have listened. But if you band together against him, then GOD is his ally, and so is Gabriel and the righteous believers. Also, the angels are his helpers.

More details:
islamrevolution.org - Gabriel: not an angel

Could Christians provide details about Gabriel and Michael in the Bible?
Thanks in advance.

Zindagee Rahmaan

Believing in unity
Salaam alaik my brother in Islam!

First time I'm facing such contradictions form my own Muslim community member, somehow shocked.
The Link:

States a verse form Holy Quran:

We know Gabriel was commanded to deliver the Quran:
16:102 Say, "The Holy Spirit (Gabriel) has brought it down from your Lord, truthfully, to assure those who believe, and to provide a beacon and good news for the submitters."

Here is Hadith from Sahi Bukhari that refers Gebriel as Angle:

Volume 1, Book 1, Number 2:

Narrated 'Aisha: (the mother of the faithful believers) Al-Harith bin Hisham asked Allah's Apostle "O Allah's Apostle! How is the Divine Inspiration revealed to you?" Allah's Apostle replied, "Sometimes it is (revealed) like the ringing of a bell, this form of Inspiration is the hardest of all and then this state passes ' off after I have grasped what is inspired. Sometimes the Angel comes in the form of a man and talks to me and I grasp whatever he says." 'Aisha added: Verily I saw the Prophet being inspired Divinely on a very cold day and noticed the Sweat dropping from his forehead (as the Inspiration was over).​

Source: CRCC: Center For Muslim-Jewish Engagement: Resources: Religious Texts

ayani

the word used in the Quran is "Ruh Quddus", which is sometimes translated "Holy Spirit" in English translations of the Quran.

linguistically, it corresponds with the Hebrew "Ruach ha-Kodesh" which is understood by Jews to refer to the inspiring and sactifying Spirit of God.

some Quran translations into English do identify "Ruh Quddus" with power or inspiration from Allah, as opposed to an angelic being specifically. but many Islamic scholars identify the Ruh Quddus with Jibreel, or Gabirel the angel of Allah.

Zindagee Rahmaan

Believing in unity
some Quran translations into English do identify "Ruh Quddus" with power or inspiration from Allah, as opposed to an angelic being specifically. but many Islamic scholars identify the Ruh Quddus with Jibreel, or Gabirel the angel of Allah.

Exactly, Gebriel is refered as "Ruh Quddus" directly in Quran and also an angle in prophetic hadith. As I know in first chapter from Luke, Gebriel is refered an angle, is that true?

Last edited:

Jeremiah

Contrary to common belief, according to Quran, Gabriel and Michael are not angels. People refer constantly to Gabriel as “the angel Gabriel” and Michael as “the angel Michael”. A close reading of the Quran shows that this is not true:
2:98 Anyone who opposes GOD, and His angels, and His messengers, and Gabriel and Michael, should know that GOD opposes the disbelievers.
66:4 If the two of you repent to GOD, then your hearts have listened. But if you band together against him, then GOD is his ally, and so is Gabriel and the righteous believers. Also, the angels are his helpers.

More details:

Thanks in advance.

Well, I don't exactly see that text as giving account as to the characteristic of these two. It simply says their names and nothing beyond that. It does not say whether they are human, angel or zargalplouth.

.lava

Veteran Member

More details:

Thanks in advance.

hi :)

only God knows how many angels are there. for example each rain drop is carried by an angel. but there is only one Gebrael (PBUH), same with Michael (PBUH). those two are not ordinary angels. it is always Gebrael (PBUH) who comes to Prophets. it is the one who teaches Prophets. for example Mohammad (PBUH) learned how to make ablution from him. only a few angels have free will and Gebrael (PBUH) is one of them. i think this is why they are separately mentioned in verses.

Exactly, Gebriel is refered as "Ruh Quddus" directly in Quran and also an angle in prophetic hadith. As I know in first chapter from Luke, Gebriel is refered an angle, is that true?

Salaam,

I am a muslim who follows Quran alone.
I do not believe in hadiths for the following reasons:
islamrevolution.org - Hadiths: The Shame Of Islam

I find it interesting so far that it doesn't seem that Gabriel and Michael are called specifically angels in the Bible either.
Quran calls Gabriel "the spirit" (al ruh). This is what he is, most likely not an angel.

Fatihah

Salaam,

I am a muslim who follows Quran alone.
I do not believe in hadiths for the following reasons:
islamrevolution.org - Hadiths: The Shame Of Islam

I find it interesting so far that it doesn't seem that Gabriel and Michael are called specifically angels in the Bible either.
Quran calls Gabriel "the spirit" (al ruh). This is what he is, most likely not an angel.

Response: Gabriel is an angel but when referring to him he is called "The Holy Spirit". This does not mean that he is not an angel. This is a particular title given to Gabriel because he is an archangel and so is Michael. They are a degree above the other angels. This is the way of Allah. He gives rank to his messengers as explained in ch. 253 in the qur'an.

If one were to use the example in the opening post that Gabriel is not an angel because he is said to be the Holy Spirit or because he was not mentioned as an angel in ch.2:98, then what would be said about Jesus who is always referred to as the Messiah? Does that mean that the other prophets were not? Of course not. This is just the title given to Jesus. In ch.4:69, prophets are mentioned separate from truthful and righteous. Does this mean that they are not truthful and righteous. Of course not. So in the same manner, the way Jesus is acknowledged as the Messiah despite the fact that all prophets are messiahs, Gabriel is acknowledged by name and not as one of the angels despite the fact that he is still an angel.

Response: Gabriel is an angel but when referring to him he is called "The Holy Spirit". This does not mean that he is not an angel. This is a particular title given to Gabriel because he is an archangel and so is Michael. They are a degree above the other angels. This is the way of Allah. He gives rank to his messengers as explained in ch. 253 in the qur'an.

If one were to use the example in the opening post that Gabriel is not an angel because he is said to be the Holy Spirit or because he was not mentioned as an angel in ch.2:98, then what would be said about Jesus who is always referred to as the Messiah? Does that mean that the other prophets were not? Of course not. This is just the title given to Jesus. In ch.4:69, prophets are mentioned separate from truthful and righteous. Does this mean that they are not truthful and righteous. Of course not. So in the same manner, the way Jesus is acknowledged as the Messiah despite the fact that all prophets are messiahs, Gabriel is acknowledged by name and not as one of the angels despite the fact that he is still an angel.

Salaam,

Look in 2:98 how God made sure the expression "and His messengers" is inserted between "His angels" and "Gabirel and Michael. God never writes anything without deep purpose. Similarly, 66:4 seperates Gabriel from the angels.

Claiming that Gabriel and Michael are archangels is a pure supposition without Quranic basis. In my opinion Gabriel is simply what he is called namely in Quran: "The spirit", "the holy spirit", "the honnest spirit".

He is clearly connected to the angels in the following way:
16:2 He sends down the angels with "the Spirit" (Gabriel) by His command upon whom He wishes of His servants: "That you shall warn that there is no god but I, so be aware of Me."

The spirit is sent down with the angels, but is dinstinct from them. It is the only thing we can say, in my opinion.

Peace.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
um...
not trying to be an arse, but I have quite often heard that in order to understand the Koran, one must read it in the original language.
Now if this true, how would arguing over a "truth" in the Koran in English be productive?

Fatihah

Salaam,

Look in 2:98 how God made sure the expression "and His messengers" is inserted between "His angels" and "Gabirel and Michael. God never writes anything without deep purpose. Similarly, 66:4 seperates Gabriel from the angels.

Claiming that Gabriel and Michael are archangels is a pure supposition without Quranic basis. In my opinion Gabriel is simply what he is called namely in Quran: "The spirit", "the holy spirit", "the honnest spirit".

He is clearly connected to the angels in the following way:
16:2 He sends down the angels with "the Spirit" (Gabriel) by His command upon whom He wishes of His servants: "That you shall warn that there is no god but I, so be aware of Me."

The spirit is sent down with the angels, but is dinstinct from them. It is the only thing we can say, in my opinion.

Peace.

Response: And according to this logic, no other prophets are messiahs because the name is only attached to Jesus in the qur'an, and in ch.4:69, the prophets are not truthful and righteous because it is mentioned separates from the prophets. So if the logic is not applied here, the logic can't be applied anywhere else.

AbuKhalid

What a silly thread. If I said "they opposed the Muslims and the Prophet (SAW) "it would not exclude the Prophet (SAW) from being a Muslim. This is basic common sense.

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Jibraeel "Gabriel" may peace be upon him is an angel. He is mentioned by name seperately so as to emphasize his higher status and position among the angels.

Response: And according to this logic, no other prophets are messiahs because the name is only attached to Jesus in the qur'an, and in ch.4:69, the prophets are not truthful and righteous because it is mentioned separates from the prophets. So if the logic is not applied here, the logic can't be applied anywhere else.
All prophets are prophets. All messengers are messengers. They are called so accordingly. But Gabriel is never called an angel and he is made very distinct from the angels. Why? Doesn't God proclaim Quran is fully detailed?
As for Jesus, if he is the only one to be called "the Messiah", there has to be a reason.

AbuKhalid

مَا كَانَ لِلنَّبِيِّ وَالَّذِينَ آمَنُوا أَنْ يَسْتَغْفِرُوا لِلْمُشْرِكِينَ وَلَوْ كَانُوا أُوْلِي قُرْبَى مِنْ بَعْدِ مَا تَبَيَّنَ لَهُمْ أَنَّهُمْ أَصْحَابُ الْجَحِيمِ

It is not fitting, for the Prophet and those who believe, that they should pray for forgiveness for Pagans, even though they be of kin, after it is clear to them that they are companions of the Fire.
9:113

By the same logic this verse means the Prophet isn't a believer?

Fatihah

All prophets are prophets. All messengers are messengers. They are called so accordingly. But Gabriel is never called an angel and he is made very distinct from the angels. Why? Doesn't God proclaim Quran is fully detailed?
As for Jesus, if he is the only one to be called "the Messiah", there has to be a reason.

Response: That reason is explained in post 9 in which nothing in the qur'an contridicts.