• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gaming and Social Life

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I've heard two people tell me this week the fact that they don't have any inclination to play video games negatively affects their social lives.

One is a 30 year old woman. Another is a 37 year old man. They work in different environments, but both say talk often goes to games, and the fact that they don't play excludes them from much of the conversation. They both claim it kind of places them on the 'outside', and they feel people are less likely to talk to them.

Have you experienced anything like this? Is it simply the age group? Or something else?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I've heard two people tell me this week the fact that they don't have any inclination to play video games negatively affects their social lives.

One is a 30 year old woman. Another is a 37 year old man. They work in different environments, but both say talk often goes to games, and the fact that they don't play excludes them from much of the conversation. They both claim it kind of places them on the 'outside', and they feel people are less likely to talk to them.

Have you experienced anything like this? Is it simply the age group? Or something else?

Sometimes people play board games as a social activity. It was common for people to get together for their Saturday bridge game or poker or bowling. Games can bring people together, at least when it's done in person. Online gaming seems to be a different kettle of fish.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Sometimes people play board games as a social activity. It was common for people to get together for their Saturday bridge game or poker or bowling. Games can bring people together, at least when it's done in person. Online gaming seems to be a different kettle of fish.
Yes, that's what I was mostly thinking here. Online and other more modern video games... They seem much different than Monopoly.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
No, but it is routine for folks to talk about stuff you don't do. Doesn't really matter what it is, it happens and will happen.

For some added context about video games specifically, however - be aware that some modern games are literally designed to be addictive and psychologically coercive. The vast majority are not, but the ones with the explosive marketing budgets that "everybody talks about" tend to be. That adds a... more sinister dimension to this that I wish wasn't there, but it is. It has, in cases, become akin to a bunch of alcoholics getting together to chat about their mutual alcoholism.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
For some added context about video games specifically, however - be aware that some modern games are literally designed to be addictive and psychologically coercive. The vast majority are not, but the ones with the explosive marketing budgets that "everybody talks about" tend to be. That adds a... more sinister dimension to this that I wish wasn't there, but it is. It has, in cases, become akin to a bunch of alcoholics getting together to chat about their mutual alcoholism.
That's interesting, and I hadn't thought of that angle.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
That's interesting, and I hadn't thought of that angle.
The social angle is considered in the development of some of these "games." It's why the cosmetics angle is so powerful. It has resulted in real world bullying.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
I've never encountered this with video games. It's much more of a problem with Marvel crap among my fellow Millennials in my experience. Men around 40 obsessed with it and trying to force you to talk about it. Cringe.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I've never encountered this with video games. It's much more of a problem with Marvel crap among my fellow Millennials in my experience. Men around 40 obsessed with it and trying to force you to talk about it. Cringe.
What does Marvel crap consist of?

(Please understand, I live under a rock, and have for a long time.)

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I have two sons in that age range. One is in the military in Korea and one is living in Austin. They are very, very different but one way they are similar is that they talk to buddies who are playing these games online. Like every day.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I have two sons in that age range. One is in the military in Korea and one is living in Austin. They are very, very different but one way they are similar is that they talk to buddies who are playing these games online. Like every day.
When I lived with my ex, I played one MMO. It was more of a way to socialize, though. I spent more time goofing off than actually playing the game, and had little to talk about with actual 'gamers'. :D

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Video games unite people! I guess it might be different for people who grew up alongside the development of video games. I’m 26, and the gaming industry has matured at the same rate I have. It was a little baby decades ago.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Video games unite people! I guess it might be different for people who grew up alongside the development of video games. I’m 26, and the gaming industry has matured at the same rate I have. It was a little baby decades ago.
I don't have a problem with video games, but I was perplexed by how much these two people said not playing affected their social life.

One simply dislikes video games, the other is not able to play due to epilepsy.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
When I lived with my ex, I played one MMO. It was more of a way to socialize, though. I spent more time goofing off than actually playing the game, and had little to talk about with actual 'gamers'. :D
I think that's the case with my boys. They both have really unusual hours for one thing. One of them is 13 hours ahead of the east coast, for starters. I can sort of get where he's coming from. The other is a bar tender in Austin so I can also sort of get where he's coming from. He's 34 and the other is 36,

PureX

Veteran Member

To be honest, I think they should try and raise the level of conversation around the water cooler. ;)

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The social angle is considered in the development of some of these "games." It's why the cosmetics angle is so powerful. It has resulted in real world bullying.

So, is Fortnite the "Pinball Wizard" of today's youth?

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I don't have a problem with video games, but I was perplexed by how much these two people said not playing affected their social life.

One simply dislikes video games, the other is not able to play due to epilepsy.
I suppose I can relate with sports. I used to not care for football, but that’s all the men would talk about come football season. I felt like I was left out socially so I got into football. I like the sport now, I find the athleticism entertaining, but I watch it now still in part for the social aspect.

I imagine the scenario you are sharing to be similar to that?

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I suppose I can relate with sports. I used to not care for football, but that’s all the men would talk about come football season. I felt like I was left out socially so I got into football. I like the sport now, I find the athleticism entertaining, but I watch it now still in part for the social aspect.

Might be!

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member

I go through the same here in Ohio. I can't stand the stupid sports obsession. It makes me not want to wear my SF Giants hat because people won't leave me alone about it, and I don't mean the compliments. I wear it because I'm from there, not because I really care about baseball. I'm sick of having to repeat that over and over.