• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gaming and Social Life

libre

Skylark
Staff member
Premium Member
I've heard two people tell me this week the fact that they don't have any inclination to play video games negatively affects their social lives.

One is a 30 year old woman. Another is a 37 year old man. They work in different environments, but both say talk often goes to games, and the fact that they don't play excludes them from much of the conversation. They both claim it kind of places them on the 'outside', and they feel people are less likely to talk to them.

Have you experienced anything like this? Is it simply the age group? Or something else?
I have a few old friends that I really only communicate with if they are playing games.

Doesn't affect my social life when I'm socializing in person, I just literally do not see those people unless I log in because it's basically how they spend all their spare time.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I've heard two people tell me this week the fact that they don't have any inclination to play video games negatively affects their social lives.

One is a 30 year old woman. Another is a 37 year old man. They work in different environments, but both say talk often goes to games, and the fact that they don't play excludes them from much of the conversation. They both claim it kind of places them on the 'outside', and they feel people are less likely to talk to them.

Have you experienced anything like this? Is it simply the age group? Or something else?

I haven't when it comes to gaming, but I have found that some people mostly or only engage in one or two activities or talk about a couple of subjects and either don't care to try to expand their range of conversational topics or find difficulty in trying to do so, even if just to ask others questions about others' interests. As a result, they exclude others who don't share the exact same interests they have, albeit sometimes inadvertently.

That's their prerogative, of course, and it's generally not something I believe people should be negatively judged over as long as it's not done with malice or other bad intentions. I think it's helpful to try to make sure that both parties' expectations are clear when trying to befriend someone, though.

What I have experienced with friends has largely been the opposite of the situation you described. For instance, my best friend and I used to do a lot of gaming together when we both played much more frequently than we do now, but when she stopped gaming, we picked some movies and watched them together, which we hadn't done before. Basically, both of us have the idea that the company comes before the activity, so even if either of us is no longer into a given activity, we can just figure out another one as long as we still get to do it together.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I haven't when it comes to gaming, but I have found that some people mostly or only engage in one or two activities or talk about a couple of subjects and either don't care to try to expand their range of conversational topics or find difficulty in trying to do so, even if just to ask others questions about others' interests. As a result, they exclude others who don't share the exact same interests they have, albeit sometimes inadvertently.

That's their prerogative, of course, and it's generally not something I believe people should be negatively judged over as long as it's not done with malice or other bad intentions. I think it's helpful to try to make sure that both parties' expectations are clear when trying to befriend someone, though.

What I have experienced with friends has largely been the opposite of the situation you described. For instance, my best friend and I used to do a lot of gaming together when we both played much more frequently than we do now, but when she stopped gaming, we picked some movies and watched them together, which we hadn't done before. Basically, both of us have the idea that the company comes before the activity, so even if either of us is no longer into a given activity, we can just figure out another one as long as we still get to do it together.
I think with both of the afore mentioned people, they're struggling to socialize at work(a place many adults make friends).

Its probably easier if a person's in a situation where everyone's goal is to make friends.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member

It sounds to me like people have finally ran out of things to whine about.