• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gay Bashing

as a homosexual, did you suffer from homophobic remarks made by Christians?

• Total voters

nPeace

Veteran Member
I'll explain...

If for example a homosexual person was flirting with you, heaven forbid because a lot of people wouldn't like it in this world, the response of "I believe in my religion that homosexuality is a sin.".... well it's kind of warranted. They need to know your boundaries.

If instead Christians take every turn to remind other people that in their religion they are a sinner... well it's just adding to the noise, they've heard it 10 or 100 times before, and while I doubt they'll file a restraining order against you or anything, the collective result of all this is in the end persecution by Christians.
Here it depends on the context.
I'll explain. ;)

If the congregation holds to the high moral standards of the first century Christian congregation, they will speak on those values regularly, since they instruct from God's word, and don't preach politics in your ears almost every Sunday... like some do. :nomouth:Did I just judge? :smile:

So, say you are in such a congregation, your conscience is what is speaking to you, not the speaker. He is speaking to the congregation.

Sometimes, in speaking to the congregation, a person may feel singled out, because they are guilty of the wrong being spoken of.
To give an example ...
Say someone in the congregation committed a wrong, which is public knowledge, but they repented.
A talk is prepared to help the congregation to take the particular sin seriously.

There was such a case in the first century congregation.
You can read of that in 1 Corinthians 5. It's a short talk.

So yes. One may feel uncomfortable in that setting, but if they have no intention of changing, or they feel that what they are doing is right, then they should leave, and find somewhere where they are free to do whatever they want.

It's like the government system.
I heard a judge once tell a family in the courtroom, "One more outburst like that, and I will ask that you be removed from the courtroom."
The judge acted to maintain order. It was not that he did not care about the family. He likely could relate to their pain and sorrow.

However, we cannot expect to do whatever we want, wherever we want.
Every organization has it's laws.
The Christian congregation is to be both orderly, and clean, and those taking the lead are supposed to maintain those.
It's not that they don't care about people. They do.
Paul cared about the wrongdoer. That's why they put him out in the first place, that he would see the seriousness, and hopefully come to his senses.
When he did, Paul recommended the congregation show that he was loved.

They are not to be like the corrupt leaders in ancient Jerusalem - through 700 BC to 1 CE.
That's why Jerusalem came to ruins.
The Christian congregation will not meet that end. Christendom will, with its counterfeit Christians... all of 'em. :oops: Did I just judge? :nomouth::smile:

Last edited:

nPeace

Veteran Member
I'm not following. The act of rape and the act of murder is different than the damage/the result bashing does. But I'd assume the victim of rape and murder would have strong emotional damage just as one getting bashed for being homosexual. It depends on the person on how he or she is affected by the rape, murder, or bashing.

But I'm not getting what you're saying.
Not the victim Artist.

That's ridiculous.
That's vague.
Where's the meat?
I want to hear why. Why is it ridiculous?

nPeace

Veteran Member
The problem is this doesn't refer to homosexuality just people (straight, gay, bi, etc) who have same-sex sex, rape, and so forth. Sinners behavior. There was no differentiation in who these people were attracted to (or the sex their attraction was oriented towards). In the US, we didn't know about sexual orientation if any at all in the 1960s. A lot has changed.
You never heard of child rapists?
They are called pedophiles. Why?
They like little boys and girls.
Some prefer boy. Some prefer girls. Some don't care, as long as there's a hole.
Isn't that a preference, and a lifestyle?

"You" as in directed towards them as a homosexual (because, they are homosexual) or "you" as in any person who commits these acts homosexual or not?

The first is wrong, the second is an opinion.

It's the direction and application of your beliefs rather than the beliefs themselves. For example, I disagree same-sex sex is wrong and immoral. I also disagree it is an act of lust (that gentiles make one person lusts and another person loves). But that's just christian belief.

But if that same person directed their opinions on me as the source of their disagreement, I find that judgmental.
I don't quite understand you here, and I don't think I got an answer.
Maybe the answer is in there somewhere, but I am not seeing it.

Probably. Would have to look at it again, I don't know.
Move along. Don't look back. :)

nPeace

Veteran Member
A. I depends on his religion and age. But many people who are through the coming out maturity phrase do find it okay to have these feelings and don't (generalizing) put too much emphasis on them as others do.

B. It depends on the person. Like straight people, some don't want to have relationships. Some rather have platonic. Some want to get married. Some want sex. Some what love. People have different forms of attraction. A person's sex should be irrelevant.

C. All gay people I've met during my life (and myself) really don't focus on what other people do and how they identify. Unless they are friends, family, or another appropriate setting, 98% of the time even with our mates, we don't think about it. It's a default setting like straight people. It only comes up when other people realize we are gay, we tell them, or in the case of this thread, people speak against it or being belittled for it. If the world was not sex-oriented, people just wouldn't care.

D. Most people don't really care how people identify and what they do. We all have our biases, et cetera, but not many are promoting homosexuality as homosexuals because we know sexual orientation (straight, gay, bi, etc) is what we are born with. So, it would be illogical to promote to be someone that you're not.

As in lifestyle, gay people (unlike straight people) don't promote same-sex sex since regardless who a person is attracted to, straight and gay people alike practice SSS all the time. The issue is the judging and stereotyping moreso than the opinion of one's sexual activity-gay, straight, or bi.
Um. Artist.
I am creating a scenario... something we can work with.

A male has attraction to other males, rather than females.
A. Does this male think that it is okay to have these feelings? Yes or no.
B. Does this male want to have sexual intercourse with other males? Yes or no.
C. Does this male promote this as a good thing for others to do? Yes or no.
D. All the above. Yes.

I need your help here. In other words, give me a definite character we can start with. Create the character for me. It will be our imaginary homosexual.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You never heard of child rapists?
They are called pedophiles. Why?
They like little boys and girls.
Some prefer boy. Some prefer girls. Some don't care, as long as there's a hole.
Isn't that a preference, and a lifestyle?

I wouldn't say it's a lifestyle. But this is a good example. Pedophiles means someone who is attracted to children. Child molesters and abusers are those who are sexually intimate with children. The two are different. One is an attraction. The other is an action. The latter has nothing to do with attraction.

Preference as in a choice? Most likely. I'm not sure or don't think people make it their lifestyle though. Something they base their life around like a christian does when he or she follows christ. I honestly don't know (not something I think about, you know?)

I don't quite understand you here, and I don't think I got an answer.
Maybe the answer is in there somewhere, but I am not seeing it.

Oh. Sorry.

However, let's suppose I said to the person, who is homosexual, whether by practice or not... "According to the Bible, homosexuality is a sin, and those who submit to homosexual acts are sinning.
If you are practicing homosexuality, you are sinning."

Am I bashing the person?

The problem with many christians is they say this not to "any person-gay, straight, or bi" but specifically to the homosexual they speak with. It's indirect accusation-that's bashing the person.

It depends on the context. If you're talking to someone about homosexuality and you don't know he or she is homosexual, that's fine. If you know he or she is homosexual, then it's more sensitive because some christians may use that same verse to indirectly tell the homosexual if he does X its a sin. The context changes when the christian knows the other is homosexual.

Move along. Don't look back. :)

Ha. Turn into a pillar of salt?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I should have asked, why do you consider teaching someone what the Bible says about a particular thing, bashing, if they have an interest in the Bible, and what it teaches?

I don't. Key words being if they have an interest in the Bible and what it teaches.

Also remember the Bible appears to teach hell. It'll be lovely for the homosexual people to know unless they repent of homosexuality, they are going to eternal torment.

Or they could just develop a different understanding of the Bible, or choose a different faith.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Um. Artist.
I am creating a scenario... something we can work with.

A male has attraction to other males, rather than females.
A. Does this male think that it is okay to have these feelings? Yes or no.
B. Does this male want to have sexual intercourse with other males? Yes or no.
C. Does this male promote this as a good thing for others to do? Yes or no.
D. All the above. Yes.

I need your help here. In other words, give me a definite character we can start with. Create the character for me. It will be our imaginary homosexual.

John the homosexual (lets say gay person)

A. Yes (Most gay people feel it's normal since they are born gay)
B. Depends (It really does depend on the situation)
C. No (Only for himself if that's his focus. Not sure why John would promote same-sex intercourse anymore a straight person opposite-sex intercourse. How are they different?)

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't. Key words being if they have an interest in the Bible and what it teaches.

Also remember the Bible appears to teach hell. It'll be lovely for the homosexual people to know unless they repent of homosexuality, they are going to eternal torment.

Or they could just develop a different understanding of the Bible, or choose a different faith.
One of the very few things nice about JWs is they don't believe in hell as a place of eternal torment. Just an eternal unconscious sleep like state.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Threads like this make me want to quit RF.

To morally compare my monogamous gay relationship between two consenting adults who love each other to child abuse is sickening and insulting (not to mention completely divorced from reality). And anyone making such a comparison in 2020 should be ashamed of themselves.

That'll be all.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I wouldn't say it's a lifestyle. But this is a good example. Pedophiles means someone who is attracted to children. Child molesters and abusers are those who are sexually intimate with children. The two are different. One is an attraction. The other is an action. The latter has nothing to do with attraction.

Preference as in a choice? Most likely. I'm not sure or don't think people make it their lifestyle though. Something they base their life around like a christian does when he or she follows christ. I honestly don't know (not something I think about, you know?)
A few clicks of your mouse can get you there in seconds.
Paedophilia a 'sexual orientation - like being straight or gay'
A paedophile has the 'same ingrained attraction that a heterosexual female may feel towards a male', psychologist says

This man is a pedophile, and proud of it
He keeps a blog. Because he cannot legally have sexual relationships with the people he wants most — children who have not yet reached puberty — he writes to relieve the frustration of unfulfilled desire, and of living in a society that tells him those desires are illegal, harmful, evil, sick.

He believes this conclusion is incorrect. He believes there are children, even those of a very young age, who like and seek sex with adults. He believes that adults who want to satisfy this perceived need should be legally allowed to do so. He believes there are situations where it is all right for adults to have sexual relationships with children.

RF rules don't allow for more than two paragraphs, so you will have to read the remaining from the link.
It may surprise you, but these people are only one of millions, who believes it is wrong to condemn their lifestyle.
You can email Putin, and ask him how many people he has in prison, for wanting the right to sex with their pet animal.
At the same time, you can ask him how many of the feminist group he imprisoned for stripping and urinating on government property.

Oh. Sorry.

However, let's suppose I said to the person, who is homosexual, whether by practice or not... "According to the Bible, homosexuality is a sin, and those who submit to homosexual acts are sinning.
If you are practicing homosexuality, you are sinning."

Am I bashing the person?

The problem with many christians is they say this not to "any person-gay, straight, or bi" but specifically to the homosexual they speak with. It's indirect accusation-that's bashing the person.
In this case, I am talking to a "gay" man.
We share this information with all persons however, but if we need to be specific, we are.
In this case, I am being specific... talking with a man who let's me know he sees no problem with being "gay".

It depends on the context. If you're talking to someone about homosexuality and you don't know he or she is homosexual, that's fine. If you know he or she is homosexual, then it's more sensitive because some christians may use that same verse to indirectly tell the homosexual if he does X its a sin. The context changes when the christian knows the other is homosexual.
Okay. I know. He told me. Am I bashing?

Ha. Turn into a pillar of salt?
Funny.
Good one though.:)

nPeace

Veteran Member

I agree. The key words are "if they have an interest" in the Bible, or what the Bible has to say on God's view of the matter.
We don't go around telling people what they should and should not do, or how to live their life.
That's their choice.

nPeace

Veteran Member
John the homosexual (lets say gay person)

A. Yes (Most gay people feel it's normal since they are born gay)
B. Depends (It really does depend on the situation)
C. No (Only for himself if that's his focus. Not sure why John would promote same-sex intercourse anymore a straight person opposite-sex intercourse. How are they different?)
Okay, so for B, I will say no then. Maybe John is trying to look at things from a different view.
In that case, John may consider that people - Christians especially in this case, may be interesting in helping him, rather than John seeing them as an enemy.

This has actually happened to scores of people.
They once had a homosexual lifestyle, but now are Christian - married to a person of the opposite sex.
It was all due to their attitude.
Jesus said, “Truly I say to you, unless you turn around and become as young children, you will by no means enter into the Kingdom of the heavens." (Matthew 18:3)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
RF rules don't allow for more than two paragraphs, so you will have to read the remaining from the link.
It may surprise you, but these people are only one of millions, who believes it is wrong to condemn their lifestyle.
Let them. I can go on at length with studies suggesting they are wrong. The ethics behind it also make them wrong, as the power discrepancy makes any alleged consent seem upfront dubious.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
They once had a homosexual lifestyle, but now are Christian - married to a person of the opposite sex.
That doesn't really work. Long term they are still gay, or worse off, or they kill themselves. That's why basically every major medical, psychiatric, psychiatric, and counseling organization condemns those "therapies."

nPeace

Veteran Member
Truly RF is not the same as it was, where people used to debate even though they disagreed, and one felt comfortable debating with a view that was contrary to someone else's belief.
That's what I found inviting about RF.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Let them. I can go on at length with studies suggesting they are wrong. The ethics behind it also make them wrong, as the power discrepancy makes any alleged consent seem upfront dubious.
I won't get into the studies or ethnics in relation to the other lifestyles - including the one in this topic.

nPeace

Veteran Member
That doesn't really work. Long term they are still gay, or worse off, or they kill themselves. That's why basically every major medical, psychiatric, psychiatric, and counseling organization condemns those "therapies."
You don't have that data, so no. You are speaking not from fact, but, just opinion.