• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gay 'victory' in England

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/england/kent/4419522.stm

news_logo.gif

Gay 'victory' after wedding vote
Gay rights campaigners have claimed victory as one of the last councils in the UK has voted to allow same-sex marriage ceremonies.

Ian Farmer, who led a protest outside Medway Council's offices in Strood, had threatened legal action if the council did not vote to allow gay "weddings".

"It is the right thing. At last lesbian and gay people in Medway can live free from discrimination," he said.

Cllr Tom Mason said: "I don't accept there has been a lack of action."

Loving relationship

Same-sex civil partnerships will become law in December but councils can stop them taking place in their register offices.

Gay rights campaign group Stonewall claimed Medway was one of the last councils to allow ceremonies.

"We are well ahead of the legislation," said Cllr Mason.

"This authority and myself would not want to discriminate against anybody."

Mr Farmer and his partner Anthony Smallman, live in St Mary's Island, Chatham.

"My partner and I have been together for five years," said Mr Farmer.

"We are in a wonderful, loving, happy relationship with a house, dogs, jobs, cars and all that kind of stuff.

"We have every right to this in a modern society and an equal world."

Story from BBC NEWS:

Published: 2005/11/08 21:26:23 GMT

© BBC MMV

ChrisP

Veteran Member
michel said:

news_logo.gif

Gay 'victory' after wedding vote
Gay rights campaigners have claimed victory as one of the last councils in the UK has voted to allow same-sex marriage ceremonies.

Ian Farmer, who led a protest outside Medway Council's offices in Strood, had threatened legal action if the council did not vote to allow gay "weddings".

"It is the right thing. At last lesbian and gay people in Medway can live free from discrimination," he said.

Cllr Tom Mason said: "I don't accept there has been a lack of action."

Loving relationship

Same-sex civil partnerships will become law in December but councils can stop them taking place in their register offices.

Gay rights campaign group Stonewall claimed Medway was one of the last councils to allow ceremonies.

"We are well ahead of the legislation," said Cllr Mason.

"This authority and myself would not want to discriminate against anybody."

Mr Farmer and his partner Anthony Smallman, live in St Mary's Island, Chatham.

"My partner and I have been together for five years," said Mr Farmer.

"We are in a wonderful, loving, happy relationship with a house, dogs, jobs, cars and all that kind of stuff.

"We have every right to this in a modern society and an equal world."

Story from BBC NEWS:

Published: 2005/11/08 21:26:23 GMT

© BBC MMV
Well it's about time! :clap

The Domino's have begun to tumble and soon all nations will allow people the freedom to love who they choose.:bounce

drekmed

SnaleSpace said:
The Domino's have begun to tumble and soon all nations will allow people the freedom to love who they choose.
one can only hope.......
too many stubborn people in the US, may take a while.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
drekmed said:
one can only hope.......
too many stubborn people in the US, may take a while.
Seems like they would be welcome over here.
People with real skills are always welcome.

Terry____________________
Blessed are the gentle, they shall inherit the land

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Jensa said:
Now if only the US could catch a clue... or be beaten with a clue-by-four. ;)
I think you might need a tire iron.;)

BTW I like your new avatar way better!

Fluffy

A fool
This is very good but still not good enough. Gay partnerships is a major step but gay couples still won't have the same rights as straight couples when December comes around. Still, with gay marriage legal in four countries now, it can't be long till we follow suit... So long as it doesn't take us 20 years to catch up like with this.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Fluffy said:
This is very good but still not good enough. Gay partnerships is a major step but gay couples still won't have the same rights as straight couples when December comes around. Still, with gay marriage legal in four countries now, it can't be long till we follow suit... So long as it doesn't take us 20 years to catch up like with this.
but gay couples still won't have the same rights as straight couples
Sorry Fluffy, in what way? As I understand it, the rules relating to property being passed from one partner to another will be conferred, as well as legal custody of any Children in the relationship.........

Fluffy

A fool
Sorry Fluffy, in what way? As I understand it, the rules relating to property being passed from one partner to another will be conferred, as well as legal custody of any Children in the relationship.........
Well for example, if a "divorce" happens and the couple had adopted children together, the one who does not have custody of them will not have to pay child support. Additionally, they cannot adopt as a couple, only cross adopt each others children from previous marriages. There are one or two other things as well but they are all fairly minor... I just feel that it would be perfect if they made it totally equal to give out the right message.

Furthermore, I feel that they should not restrict civil partnerships to same sex couples, as they have done at the moment, but leave it as an option for heterosexual couples as well who do not wish to get married. This has been done in some countries that have brought in civil partnerships but not all.