• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

general religion question

+Xausted

i am lazy and can not be bothered to find the info i need on essay so asking you lot instead.
have there / are there any religions that have no problem with killing? need name, place, date and context.just need one or two examples before i go stating anything that is inaccurate
many thanks all
(please no jokey replies, otherwise lecturer will know i am really as stupid and guillable as i look)

+Xausted

please someone....someone must know the answer to this question. dont make me research anymore than ness

+Xausted

any country, any religion, any time, any place. just any group that would be classed as a religion (not a cult) that either allowed death or promoted it within their belief systems

A Lurking Shadow

I'm a slave to your will
Well, the Holy Bible, Koran and Torah all contain loopholes in which a person can kill, and in some cases people are urged to do so. Of course this is swept under the rug but don't forget that the Ten Commandments applied only to people of that society: not the barbarians living across the street.

Regardless, I can't name a mainstream religion that condones killing. Perhaps some old world tribes. But then its your essay, and i'm not going to do your work for you.

+Xausted

[
Regardless, I can't name a mainstream religion that condones killing. Perhaps some old world tribes. But then its your essay, and i'm not going to do your work for you.[/quote]
: (....its just a point i was trying to make....not the whole essay. boo hoo......: (

docwholladay

If you are commanded by God to do so then it's justifiable. Problem is, how can you tell when God tells you or the Devil. Read the first book of the Book of Mormon.

AmbiguousGuy

i am lazy and can not be bothered to find the info i need on essay so asking you lot instead.
have there / are there any religions that have no problem with killing? need name, place, date and context.just need one or two examples before i go stating anything that is inaccurate

If you're serious, can you specify what sort of killing? Virtually all religions send their members to war. Many religious legislators vote for death penalty laws and for the legality of self defense.

What sort of killing are you talking about?

Willy-nilly killing for the fun of it? I can't think of any religions which condone that. Maybe some weird Satanic cults?

Even the Taliban think that their killings are justified.

Well Xausted I think there is no religions to my knowlege that permit innocent killing. Yes killing of people that do murder etc in response they can be killed in the act of their deeds.

Well, the Holy Bible, Koran and Torah all contain loopholes in which a person can kill, and in some cases people are urged to do so. Of course this is swept under the rug but don't forget that the Ten Commandments applied only to people of that society: not the barbarians living across the street.

Regardless, I can't name a mainstream religion that condones killing. Perhaps some old world tribes. But then its your essay, and i'm not going to do your work for you.

There is no lopeholes in Quran,Torah, Zaboor etc , it might be loopeholes in people mind to understand something wrong.

BruceDLimber

If you are commanded by God to do so then it's justifiable. Problem is, how can you tell when God tells you or the Devil?

Simple!

God, being One, All-loving, and All-beneficent, has no rival or equal!

There is thus no "devil" out there trying to "get us."

And "satan" merely refers to our own lower (animal) nature when we give it control instead of our higher (spiritual) nature.

Peace, :)

Bruce

Marble

Rolling Marble
The religions of Mesoamerica actually required killing of humans as offerings to the gods.

Wombat

many thanks all
(please no jokey replies, otherwise lecturer will know i am really as stupid and guillable as i look)

I believe you would have to go back to pre Christian times to find a religion that advocated that killing/war was generally a good thing-

"
Odin (pronounced /ˈoʊdɨn/ from Old Norse Óðinn) is a major god in Norse mythology and the ruler of Asgard.[1] Homologous with the Anglo-Saxon "Wōden" and the Old High German "Wotan", the name is descended from Proto-Germanic "*Wodanaz" or "*Wōđanaz". "Odin" is generally accepted as the modern English form of the name, although, in some cases, older forms may be used or preferred. In the compound Wednesday, the first member is cognate to the genitive Odin's. His name is related to ōðr, meaning "fury, excitation," besides "mind," or "poetry." His role, like that of many of the Norse gods, is complex. Odin is a principal member of the Æsir (the major group of the Norse pantheon) and is associated with war, battle, victory and death, but also wisdom, magic, poetry, prophecy, and the hunt. Odin has many sons, the most famous of whom is Thor."

Among the Norse it was necessary to die with a sword in ones hand to enter into Valhallah and there to drink, fornicate fight/kill/die all day...then do it all again the next day- on into eternity.

A kind of 'Boys Own' heaven.:sarcastic

Muffled

Jesus in me

My understanding is that there were extreme splinter groups in Satanism that practiced baby sacrifice. (Upon which the movie "Rosemary's Baby" was based I presume) No offense to regular Satanists who just believe in getting naked and having lots of sex, ha ha.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I have a hard time believing in even that. baby sacrifice is a serious crime, not to mention a difficult one to practice without major consequences.

It would take serious mental imbalance, at a criminal level, for one to practice it. Such people don't really mix very well, nor do they spend a lot of time free.

Wombat

I have a hard time believing in even that. baby sacrifice is a serious crime, not to mention a difficult one to practice without major consequences.

It would take serious mental imbalance, at a criminal level, for one to practice it. Such people don't really mix very well, nor do they spend a lot of time free.

Sadly Luis I was present as a Welfare Worker here in Oz when called upon to assist Child Protection Officers and Police in removing four children under ten from a house occupied by eight adult Satanists. Neglect and ritual abuse was the charge and it was pure luck there was no fatality (deliberate/inadvertent).

A lot can be put down to drug abuse...but drug abuse in combination with the particular cosmology was a very nasty combination. These folks managed to "mix well" enough to maintain thier commune/coven for over two years.

None of them are mixing much at all these days...except with other inmates.