• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting rid of 'anarthas' (bad karmic imprints) devotionally

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
I am chanting some 20 - 25 rounds of Hare Krishna mahamantra each day.

My goal is to get rid of bad karmic imprints such anger, lust, egotism, jealousy, etc, slowly via chanting.

I only started chanting religiously on Jan 2023 and in this 1 year, sincerely, have not made too much progress.

There have been days of non-chanting in the past 1 year too and I think the slowness in improvement is partly because of that too.

Has anyone practiced chanting or any other means of sadhana bhakti to get rid of such bad karmic imprints?

They say, along the Saivite side, chanting 'Sivaaya namah' gets rid of impurities and accords one spiritual merits. I chanted this vigorously on this past Shivaratri day part of the night.

I am curious to know if anyone here made progress in cleansing impurities via sadhana bhakti. :)

Cheers!

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
There are a lot of methods for reprogramming the subconscious mind. But progress is slow and expectations that it will happen overnight often lead to a sense of failure. I would hope devotees notice changes over 20 years though. I've never conscientiously done japa for that purpose, but I do daily japa as I had diksha, and that was part of it. Most likely change was so slow I didn't notice it.

I've had better luck cleansing the subconscious by replacing thoughts with purer thoughts. So, for example, if I have a jealousy thought, I repeat the affirmation, "All my needs and all my wants will always be meant."

But, by far, the best technique has been vasana daha tantra, where you write it all out, and then burn it.

Best wishes.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
But, by far, the best technique has been vasana daha tantra, where you write it all out, and then burn it.
First time hearing about this technique. I'm curious, and I will google it.

I heard of a technique just yesterday, wherein whenever a negative emotion strikes at you, you have to think, "Will this please my deity?" and secondly, to evaluate your reactions to others in provocative situations whether it is granted by shastras. These two, it is said, will gradually purify you. Your suggested method above also sounds promising.

Thanks for your reply.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I like it. I think you do not have to write a book about what you may have done wrong, I mean you don't have to torture yourself over it. Write it out in a line or two and burn it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I like it. I think you do not have to write a book about what you may have done wrong, I mean you don't have to torture yourself over it. Write it out in a line or two and burn it.
Sure. I think people do whatever works for them. The amount of writing is most likely related to the strength of the experience you're writing about. Some things are harder to get rid of than others. I don't mean forget it entirely, just to take the emotion out of it. So you remember, but no longer re-react.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I think this is something I should do. I have developed such ill will, contempt and I dare say a deep abiding hatred for the person upsetting my life. I have never felt this way before, and dislike myself for it.

I’m also considering which deity’s mantra to chant for removing the negativity of both issues: the other person’s actions and my own reactions.

om śantakāya namah - reverence to the Peaceful One (Vishnu) for peace and calmness of mind (tulasi māla).

om śrī ganeśāya namaha for removal of all the obstacles and troubles (rudrakśa māla). I wouldn’t use om gam ganapataye namaha because I wouldn’t use a bīja without dīkśa.

Possibly om namah śivāya because he destroys all that’s negative, harmful, evil. Sort of an all-purpose to resolve this. If Rāvana could get the boons he got, I don’t think this is too much to ask.