• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ghosts, etc.

Is There Life After Death?

• Total voters

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
So, Lionheart....what did the medium say? Did she feel a spirit?

I saw her about a week later,i told her what happened and she said thats what happens when you mess around with things,she did say to my wife she could feel the presence of her Mother so perhaps it was Mother in laws revenge LOL.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Once when I was young, soon after my dad's mother died (I'd seen her once, when I was 2) She came floating through my doorway to my bedroom, basically said she was going away for a while and waved and disappeared.

(EDIT: that *could* hint at reincarnation. Something I did believe at that age)

Now, I'm not 100% sure exactly how old I was when she died, but I do know that because I was in a room by myself, I was between the age of 5 and 7.

Also, the room was pretty dark, there was a little light filtering through the curtains, but I must have woken up because I always got put to bed before it got dark.

Either that or it was a dream. The memory, I guess it's needless to say, has faded somewhat in it's clarity (being that I'm 22 now) and there's every chance I could have added my own things to it, being I have a rather active and vivid imagination.

Having said that, only 2 years ago I had a dream the night my aunt in the Netherlands died (though it would have been been the middle of the day, their time, 12 hours behind me). This involved a tall hospital building. I (as my auntie) flew out the window, circling the building. I could see traffic and things below me, but it was night, so everything was lit up by street lights. Then I came back through a different window and it was pitch, pitch black. Dark that almost felt solid. Then there was a pinprick of light, and silhouetted figures rushing back and forth in front of it, and the light got bigger. Then the dream ended.

Now - the problem with THIS instance, is that I don't necessarily believe that the transition of death involves a light getting bigger, or "others" there to meet oyu. I still don't. I'm not entirely sure exactly what I imagine will happen post-death. However, the traditional "moving to the light" is a very simple image, easy to visualise and is common to the understanding of many people. I understand it's simple meanings, and the idea what it was conveying. Not necessarily that there is a life after death... this could have been my own dream reality doing something by itself.

but I didn't know until 2 days later that she'd died.
This could have been a case of ESP - what she projected as her wish to happen before it did.
Perhaps this was an easy image for my dream reality to comprehend and understand.

I guess what I'm saying, is that these experiences are highly subjective to our own beliefs and the everyday symbols we come across. And with time the memories become faded, distorted and hell, even drastically altered by our own imaginations or even what we WANT the experience to be.

wooops.... didn't mean this post to go quite for THAT long!!! ROFL

Last edited:

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
I mean...think of all the smart, rational, level-headed people (like Buttercup) who have had these experiences. Not all of those people can be wrong...or off their rockers.
True, but smart, rational, level-headed people can just plain be wrong. People have a vested emotional interest in believing in life-after-death, so even the most intelligent amongst us can cling to unsubstantiated beliefs. Even Dawkins changed his mind about the "Handicapped Principle" which he derided in the first edition of The Selfish Gene, only to include it in the second edition. Climatologists now overwhelmingly support the science of global warming, and even Darwin supported Lamarckian's hypothesis then presented a variation with his Pangenesis idea (which I'm sure Darwin would've further revised if he'd been around to see the genetic revolution).

It's interesting how so many ghostly (and alien abduction) experiences occur in the middle of the night, specifically when one is in bed and asleep or falling asleep. This usually raises the likelihood in my mind (and Occam's :p) that the "visitation" is a dream or the result of hypnagogic sleep.
In fact ghosts tend to make their presence known in such common circumstances (dark, bedtime, creepy atmosphere) and in such mundane ways (settling house, eerie sounds) I find it hard to accept the afterlife explanation. Why do ghosts choose to move things easily moved by a subtle wind, a movement or vibrations? I'd be rather surprised if a rocking chair or porch swing or ceiling lamp didn't quiver or sway every once in awhile with no apparent reason. Why would ghosts decide to make their presence known by such subtle and ambiguous means; if they can influence the physical world, even by such slight actions as moving a rocking chair, why couldn't they create a more convincing demonstration of their wants and needs?
I guess what I'm saying, is that these experiences are highly subjective to our own beliefs and the everyday symbols we come across. And with time the memories become faded, distorted and hell, even drastically altered by our own imaginations or even what we WANT the experience to be.
Exactly! :yes:

As far as ghosts go, I believe in them and have had a couple of encounters with them. My belief of where ghosts comes from echoes Draka's "visitor" belief. As Aaru is a "second life" for our souls, I believe those dwelling there are able to break through the barriers of life and death to communicate with those of the living, if they are able to find a soul that is open to communication.
What kind of encounters?

smiler001

dont belive in ghosts but i am confused
last year my dad died in a car crash they still havent found out what actually happened tho. However it was the night before the funeral i was walking home and i saw him walk up to me and then past me i never said a word, looked back it was still him but i never went and talk to him.
it was like someone or something that had resembled him,but is really confusing.

:)

Smoke

Done here.
I should say that....I DO believe in ghosts.
John believes in ghosts (and sees them in our house) and I don't, although I don't completely rule out the possibility. I read him your post, and he said, "It's funny you should bring that up."

He says last night before I got home, he saw somebody walk down the hall, and thought, "Why would Bill go down the hall like that without speaking?" -- because I always walk through the den, not the living room, and I always greet John as soon as I get home. Then he realized it wasn't quite time for me to be home.

I'd at least have gone to investigate, but he says he just shrugged it off. "It must have been Whoever [i.e., the ghost]."

don't you ever meet dead relatives in your dreams? they are alive there.
In 1992 I had an extremely vivid dream of my grandmother that made me wonder. She had aged since her death, and she wasn't particularly interested in catching up on my life; she kept saying, "Have you seen what those people have done with my house?" She didn't like it. It was another decade before I saw her house again, but it has definitely changed a lot since her death -- mostly landscaping, which was very important to her.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I chose "other" because I tend to believe that consciousness is interrelated. Not in the new-agey way of global consciousness (though I won't discount it), but in the way that we learn and more specifically, social construction of the self.

I'm rather tired now, and will have to explain it later if anyone is actually interested. But it's not all that supernatural (though it could be made to be).

I do believe in ghosts in the same way I believe in UFOS; people are experiencing something, and not all of it appears to be explainable.

I think the offhand dismissal of it by science as "ridiculous" is rather unscientific.