• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God and god?

GoodbyeDave

Why would I respect a god that God Himself in the Bible calls false gods? Should I disrespect the God of truth, whose name is Jealous, to honor a false god which cannot profit anyone?
If you cannot respect the gods of others, at least you could respect their worshipers. I think you should read this site's mission statement and rules.

Try this statement of mine and see how it makes you feel: "Why should I respect a god who is so petty that he tries to make himself more imposing by pretending the others don't exist? Why should I respect a god who considers jealousy a virtue? When I know from experience that my gods aid and bless me, why should I consider a god who denies that to know anything of truth?"

TransmutingSoul

One Planet, One People, Please!
Premium Member
They are precisely as fictional as your god.

In your view a capital is appropriate. As a dyslexic it is simply to much bother to get another person to check whether i capitalise a myth.

One can see and do as they so wish, we all have but a few fleeting years of life to deal with and then back to dust will we go, as all before have.

Regards Tony

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
No that is incorrect and was not said.

Many civilizations have lived upon this earth.

Regards Tony

The word god did not exist until the 6th century AD. Religions prior to that time would have had great difficulty calling a deity "god" if the word did not exist

TransmutingSoul

Premium Member
The word god did not exist until the 6th century AD. Religions prior to that time would have had great difficulty calling a deity "god" if the word did not exist

Let your vision be all embracing.

The Aboriginals of Australia have the Dreamtime, these stories passed down through generations and portrayed in dance, are a strong foundation of any Faith, likewise he American Indians have strong foundation beliefs as do some other ancient cultures. They were given what was needed.

Knowing this we can also know that Faith, like life is progressive.

Peace be with you, regards Tony

ChristineM

Premium Member

The Aboriginals of Australia have the Dreamtime, these stories passed down through generations and portrayed in dance, are a strong foundation of any Faith, likewise he American Indians have strong foundation beliefs as do some other ancient cultures. They were given what was needed.

My view is that faith can be restrictive. More formal faiths more so, their basic outlook does not change.

In the case of native australians and americans there faith was fine for them up to meeting abrahamic faith in the 18th C. Then what they needed more than anything was for europe to go away.

Edit: its not a vision, the etymology the word god is well understood

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

@ChristineM is right, though. The use of language, and the concepts it describes in many indigenous cultures doesn't readily equate to words like 'religion' or 'faith' or 'god'.
And 'Faith' (capitalised) is an entirely foreign concept in many cultures.

TransmutingSoul

Premium Member
@ChristineM is right, though. The use of language, and the concepts it describes in many indigenous cultures doesn't readily equate to words like 'religion' or 'faith' or 'god'.
And 'Faith' (capitalised) is an entirely foreign concept in many cultures.

Thank you. Why I do see what you are saying, at the same time I have found more information about how belief in God has unfolded in this world and you would be aware that It is Baha'i belief that religion is progressive and from the same source.

What I do know is that living in Aboriginal communities is that they have a profound culture of oneness and thus, the concept of One God is 2nd nature.

The greatest halm to indigenous cultures was from peoples thinking they had a faith that was far superior. If they could have seen that the ancient beliefs have a foundation in their own belief, then a sharing attitude would have made a different world than we have today.

But the way it has unfolded to date, is as God has already advised and will into the future.

Regards Tony

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Thank you. Why I do see what you are saying, at the same time I have found more information about how belief in God has unfolded in this world and you would be aware that It is Baha'i belief that religion is progressive and from the same source.

What I do know is that living in Aboriginal communities is that they have a profound culture of oneness and thus, the concept of One God is 2nd nature.

The greatest halm to indigenous cultures was from peoples thinking they had a faith that was far superior. If they could have seen that the ancient beliefs have a foundation in their own belief, then a sharing attitude would have made a different world than we have today.

But the way it has unfolded to date, is as God has already advised and will into the future.

Regards Tony

That's fine.
I don't agree that indigenuous Australian beliefs are predisposed to monotheism. However I do agree that belief in the superiority of first world beliefs was harmful to indigenuous peoples.

ChristineM

Premium Member

Regards Tony
Please find linked a wiki listing the known australian aboriginal deities and spirits.

List of Australian Aboriginal mythological figures - Wikipedia

Many gods are 2nd nature

ChristineM

Premium Member
The veil of names is just that, so I would ask.

How long have you spent living with Australian Aborigines to drawn a conclusion on what all that means to them and how they live?

Regards Tony

How many centuries and millennia have you?

Not having much contact with austalian people having visited only one on busines, i prefer to follow recorded facts rather than opinion. A google search will produce many sites showing that australian aboriginal people have faith in many deities?

And google scholar is a good source of academic data example a scholar search for aboriginal gods :-
Google Scholar

Note, the "high god" is only a recent addition (mid 1800s, since christian missionary interference in their culture) to the array of their gods, and is not a one god but an additional god

Last edited:

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I don’t capitalize the pronouns referring to God. In fact, I refrain from using pronouns when referring to God, since God is not a “he.”

ProveYourFaith

ProveYourFaith
God from Gut which means Good. A Godly person is also a Goodly person same word. God = Good. it was hijacked for a proper name of the creator. God is most often a translation for Elohim which means a judge someone who rules. The secondary word that was translated God is El which means Mighty. The third is Eloah which is the Babylonian dialect for Elohim means the same a judge or ruler. Trees, mountains, rulers, kings, priests, and Angels all are called El or Elohim in scripture which is translated, God. When it is clear to the trinitarian translator its, not Jesus or the Father they make the lowercase god. then they say there only one God..........What? They say no we don't believe its the proper name for the creator then I say God damn it you do! Right away they see they do. I just used the NAME of the LORD in vain. It's a delusion.

Last edited: