• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God and slavery?

Arlanbb

Did God initiate slavery with an inspired curse [Gen 9:25-27] on Ham and approve the enslavement of Aliens in Lev. 25:44

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
What they called slaves in the Bible are what we would call servants. People who owed money to someone for seven years would work for him. It wasn't the buying and selling of human beings, which would be a bad thing. You have to take things in their context.

Arlanbb

CHRISTINE ~ I think you better read Lev. 25: 39-55. There is a bond servant and there are slaves and the bond servant can not be sold as slaves but slaves can be sold. read ver 44 "you may BUY male and female slaves from among the nations that are around you.". arlan

Dunemeister

It's also true that the provisions for slavery in the Old Testament permit the beating and mistreatment of slaves. If you kill a slave, you were liable to a fine (not stoning, as would be the case with a typical murder). Being a slave, even a Jewish slave, meant being regarded as inferior (not just subordinate).

Fortunately, there is now neither slave nor free. Are you a slave in this world? Know that your true master is in heaven and he makes you truly free. If you can obtain your earthly freedom, do so. Are you a master? Realize that you're a slave to another. Beware how you treat your slave. Better yet, grant her her freedom.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
Slavery was an ancient practice that existed in several different forms. There was household or domestic slavery and was the most common. State slavery as illustrated by the Israelites under Egyptian taskmasters. Temple slavery where Moses and Joshua assigned certain people as slaves to the Levites for temple service. The purchase of slaves was proven when Joseph was sold into slavery by his brothers...

kai

ragamuffin
Slavery was an ancient practice that existed in several different forms. There was household or domestic slavery and was the most common. State slavery as illustrated by the Israelites under Egyptian taskmasters. Temple slavery where Moses and Joshua assigned certain people as slaves to the Levites for temple service. The purchase of slaves was proven when Joseph was sold into slavery by his brothers...

slavery is man made and just as old

kai

ragamuffin
So why would God condone and even endorse such a vile atrocity unless he was vile himself?

well the truth is for most of mans history it wasn't considered a vile atrocity at all but completely normal. later on when people began to speak out against this practice other people needed something anything to justify it , and thats where God comes into it .or should i say people brought God into it

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
well the truth is for most of mans history it wasn't considered a vile atrocity at all but completely normal. later on when people began to speak out against this practice other people needed something anything to justify it , and thats where God comes into it .or should i say people brought God into it

Well yeah, I understand it from a human culture and history standpoint, but were not talking about the people we're talking about god, I'm asking the bible believers why a good god would permit horrible things like rape and slavery in the bible?

Jeremy Mason

Well yeah, I understand it from a human culture and history standpoint, but were not talking about the people we're talking about god, I'm asking the bible believers why a good god would permit horrible things like rape and slavery in the bible?

Where does God permit rape and slavery in the Bible?

BruceDLimber

Greetings! :)

It's fairly clear from reading scripture that slavery was:

• permitted up through the time of the New Testament,
  • permitted with restrictions from the beginning of Islam, and
  • prohibited outright in the Baha'i Faith.
So civilization does indeed advance, and Divine Revelation is progressive, as ever!

Best regards, :)

Bruce

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Greetings! :)

It's fairly clear from reading scripture that slavery was:

• permitted up through the time of the New Testament,
  • permitted with restrictions from the beginning of Islam, and
  • prohibited outright in the Baha'i Faith.
So civilization does indeed advance, and Divine Revelation is progressive, as ever!

Best regards, :)

Bruce

So at first God was imperfect and had made a mistake?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The Mennonite Church and the Church of England are two different churches.

I realize that, but my point was that if you're going to try to build an impression of Christianity's approach to slavery by looking at the conduct of Christian groups, then you need to look at all groups for a balanced viewpoint.

Jeremy Mason

I realize that, but my point was that if you're going to try to build an impression of Christianity's approach to slavery by looking at the conduct of Christian groups, then you need to look at all groups for a balanced viewpoint.

I disagree. Jesus never advocated slavery.