• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God can not be disproven by science

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Not 'just like' .. that is merely a jest by atheists, who suggest that God is 'just like'
a fictional tale .. while clearly, they are not the same at all.

No history .. no Scripture .. just bull****
We are not interested in childish comparisons.

Sounds like you're saying that a positive case can be made for God in a way that it can't be made for the FSM. If so, then I don't think your point is really relevant.

Comparing God and the FSM is about the idea that's been put forward in this thread - including by you, IIRC - that merely not being refuted is enough to justify a belief.

Your reaction to the FSM seems to suggest that you actually disagree with this idea. When you talk about the things that God has going for it but the FSM doesn't, you're saying - I think - that a positive case can be made for God and not the FSM.

... but we aren't talking about making a positive case for anything here. We're talking about a negative case: that not being refuted is enough to justify belief. In the context of this argument, God and the FSM have equal merit.

anotherneil

Nope!
The Bible is firmly based on the facts of history, not on myth and fiction.

That is not to say that it is wholly accurate.
The Qur'an is similarly based on the facts of history.

Naturally, some people are believers, whilst others are not.
That does not make them 'fiction' .. that is merely an unfounded accusation.
Some religious texts may have facts of history - that doesn't mean everything in them is a fact of history. It's called faulty generalization.

BTW this is also a strawman argument; I was talking about God and FSM being works of fiction, not religious texts as a whole.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Not 'just like' .. that is merely a jest by atheists, who suggest that God is 'just like'
bull ****.
Of course you had to ignore the "can't be disproven by science cannot be refuted" part in order to have your little rant here...

But the fact of the matter is that just like the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Russell's Teapot, the Loch Ness Monster, the Easter Bunny, Santa Clause, Big Foot, etc. your god can't be disproven by science and cannot be refuted

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You are misrepresenting science. No philosopher of science says what you said. In fact, you straw manned science. Science does not deal with (to use your own words) that that is metaphysical. That's a steal man. Try not to misrepresent your own claimed epistemology.
That was a reply to, "Science does not deal with that that cannot be evidence[d]." (I added the d). She was correct. Your words didn't contradict her claim. Plus you moved the goalpost from science to philosophy. The whole argument that one's fictional belief is immune to empiricism because it transcends physical reality is nonsense. Comments like God doesn't exist in space or time or claims about a supernatural realm are verbal sleights-of-hand to defend belief in an imaginary entity with no referent outside of imagination. They're explanations for why something that isn't real can't be experienced yet is real anyway.

Here's a comment from atheist firebrand Pat Condell that says it well for me:

"Faith-peddlers like to put themselves beyond question by claiming that their faith transcends reason, the very thing that calls it to account. How convenient. Yes, faith transcends reason the way a criminal transcends the law. The word "transcendent" is very popular with religious hustlers because they never have to explain precisely what they mean by it, other than some vague superior state of understanding more profound than mere reason, which is crude and simplistic next to the subtleties and profundities of belief without evidence. If you hear a senior clergyman (and you will) using the word “transcendent" to explain the nonsense he claims to believe, then you know two things: one: he doesn't know what he's talking about, and two: he doesn't want you to know what he's talking about either. Faith doesn't transcend reason at all. Faith sidesteps reason. It runs away from reason because reason threatens its cozy bubble of delusion, so faith disqualifies reason the way a Dutch criminal court disqualifies truth, and witnesses, and for much the same reason."
You are misrepresenting science. No philosopher of science says what you said. In fact, you straw manned science. Science does not deal with (to use your own words) that that is metaphysical. That's a steal man. Try not to misrepresent your own claimed epistemology.
This is typical of the kind of information-free, condescending comments you make - you proclaim by fiat some opinion and then instruct others to do some research as if most of them don't run circles around your posting.

Here are a few more I've curated from you in this thread in a stunning series of drive-by posts, where you make some unsupported proclamation then disappear without waiting for a reply:

"That's not a true description of science or religion. Your statement is false. Anyway, thanks for engaging. Cheers."

"It's irrational, unreasonable, logically flawed, scientifically absurd to talk about falsifications and science in relation to the metaphysical. So this should end this conversation. Thanks for engaging."

"Google whataboutism."

"Strawman mate. Weird indeed."

"you don't understand the category error you are making. Cheers."

"Do research."

I consider this kind of posting inappropriate. You're attempting to elevate your imagined perceived persona on the backs of others with comments that cast them as your intellectual inferior but are actually substance-free most of the time.
"Whataboutism or whataboutery (as in "what about....?") is a pejorative for the strategy of responding to an accusation with a counter-accusation instead of........"
It looks like you're the one that needed to do a little research. That statement doesn't pertain to the FSM vs "God." FSM is analogy, not, "Yeah, but what about X" and using it is not accusation.
the OP is describing a metaphysical being which could never ever be put to testing using the scientific method.
You're describing a figment of imagination and giving good reasons why such a thing is irrelevant even if it existed in some sense.

Let's return to, "Science does not deal with that that cannot be evidence[d]." If whatever you're imagining is described as having no measurable effect on reality, then it is indistinguishable from the nonexistent and for that reason can be safely disregarded.
Instead of assuming what I belief or don't belief, why not ask what I belief or respond what I'm actually saying?
This is Firedragon "Practic[ing] epistemic humbleness"
I divide expertise into two types:
(1) Real time effects (Engineer build a building, it doesn't fall, planes actually fly, etc).
(2) Theory but not way to measure it's effects.

Since religion is really 2, especially since the effects is unseen and hidden in the soul, some of it effects justice and well being of society in the outward, but a lot of it amounts to unseen.
Here's more of the same. If a religion or a theory produces no measurable effect, it can be safely disregarded, and studying it can't be considered expertise. One can know scripture inside out, but one can also learn all there is to know about Pokémon and possess nothing of value there.
It is beyond the limits of Science
And more. If something isn't amenable to empiricism, which means the process of evaluating internal and external sensory input according to knowledge gained from prior experience and the rules of inference, then it's fantasy not worth further consideration. An idea MUST be tethered to reality to be called knowledge, useful, true, or correct.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
[continued]
Some people do not believe in the existence of anything but that of the physical. However, that is irrelevant .. it can't be proved one way or the other by physical means.
And more. There is no reason to believe anything that can't be detected exists.
I think he realizes that there is no point in discussing something, on the level of: "the spaghetti monster and God" are equivalent when it comes to evidence.
Then he loses the debate by default. He would need to make arguments rather than unsupported claims, and he would need to address any counterargument, and specify the comments with which he disagrees and explain his reason for considering them wrong.

That's dialectic, which is how critical thinkers resolve differences of opinion. The process ends with the last plausible, unrebutted argument, which in this case is the one he won't deign to dignify with a response.

To understand what dialectic is and why debate ends with the last plausible, unrebutted argument, consider a courtroom trial. A couple of attorneys attempt to falsify one another's argument with counterarguments. In a court of law, that begins with an opening statement by the prosecution and a theory of a crime. If this argument is convincing to a jury and not successfully rebutted, it's time for a verdict: guilty. But perhaps the defense can poke a hole in that theory, maybe by offering an alibi for the defendant. Perhaps there is cell tower ping data suggesting that the defendant wasn't present at the scene of the crime.

If this isn't rebutted, it becomes the last plausible unrebutted argument, and the jury is ready to vote for acquittal. But then, the prosecution produces photos of the suspect near the scene of the crime around the time it was committed, resuscitating the original theory of guilt. And once again, if this cannot be successfully rebutted - if it cannot be shown that the prosecution cannot be right - the debate is over and the jury able to convict. This is dialectic. Any other form of discussion is useless in deciding matters. And if an attorney doesn't even try to rebut his counterpart, his client loses the case.

Presently, he's playing the role of the defense attorney who doesn't try to show why the prosecutor is wrong, but instead, just repeats that his client isn't guilty or refuses to comment at all. Guess how that turns out. It's the same for him here. He forfeits the argument in the eyes of those who respect this process.
This effectively means that people must have no logical reason for their religious belief .. which I know for a fact, is not true.
That depends on whether you mean that your belief is rational or your reason for holding it serves you. It's rational to take comfort where comfort is needed, but the belief in gods is not rational, because it's not derived from valid reasoning.
I won't .. it's a childish game. I will let you think "you've won", if it pleases you.
Then you forfeit.
I still see magical pixies and spaghetti monsters as irrelevant to the topic.
But he (and I) don't. If your preference is to simply handwave the argument away because it offends you, that's fine, but is understood as concession.
anything other than engaging with the OP .. which, of course, cannot be refuted.
The OP is correct. Gods in general cannot be disproved, although her god, the god of Abraham, can and has been (the world was not created in a week and there were no first two humans, so the god said to have done that doesn't exist). But there s no need to disprove them. The claims about them can also be disregarded for lack of supporting evidence.
a jest by atheists, who suggest that God is 'just like' a fictional tale .. while clearly, they are not the same at all. No history .. no Scripture .. just bull****
"Clearly," they are exactly the same in the sense that they are equally unevidenced. Your god has no history, the scripture attributed it appears to be written by people who didn't know where the rain came from or where the sun went at night, and sorry to say, but all of that is just bull droppings, too.
The Bible is firmly based on the facts of history, not on myth and fiction.
Uh, no.

For starters, we are aware of no facts at all by reading scripture critically. Whatever parts are correct have to be confirmed empirically.
There is nothing irrational in believing that the universe was created and maintained by something greater than ourselves.
Disagree. It's rational to consider the possibility, but there is no sound argument that ends, "therefore God"
There is nothing irrational in believing that the Bible and Qur'an are not based on 'fairy tales'.
Disagree again, for the same reason.
You limit rationality and reality to the physically observable .. and ignore the spiritual and psychological.
Spirituality IS a psychological state that has nothing to do with spirits or any imagined spiritual realm, and mind, like brain, is physical.
To me God can be proven by logic.
That's incorrect. As I told another poster, there is no sound argument concluding, "therefore God"
All we need to do is use black box math and science and we can correlate God, as well as most things in the life sciences. Statistical science is about correlation but not logic and reason, since the black box stays closed. Statistics is not definitive but leaves margin of error and levels certainty.
"The metaphorical expression word salad (or word-salad) refers to the practice of stringing together words that have no apparent connection to one another."

muhammad_isa

But the fact of the matter is that just like the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Russell's Teapot, the Loch Ness Monster, the Easter Bunny, Santa Clause, Big Foot, etc. your god can't be disproven by science and cannot be refuted
Who cares about that?
There are billions of dreamt up things .. so what???

muhammad_isa

There is no reason to believe anything that can't be detected exists.
You just love to assert your materialistic beliefs as the only rational position.
I actually feel sorry for you .. perhaps you like to fool yourself?

It's arrogant to think that what mankind is able to currently physically detect is all there is, imo.
..and of course PLAIN WRONG! :)

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You just love to assert your materialistic beliefs as the only rational position.
If you disagree, try to falsify a few. If you can't do that, maybe it's because those ideas are correct. That's the thing about correct ideas: they can't be successfully refuted.
I actually feel sorry for you
That's very nice of you, but I'm happy.
It's arrogant to think that what mankind is able to currently physically detect is all there is, imo...and of course PLAIN WRONG!
Yes it is. Maybe you thought that I made that claim.
No .. that is an assertion. Prove it !
I don't need to. You asserted the opposite without argument. You implied that there was an important difference that made gods and imaginary characters inappropriate to compare and contrast. I disagreed. They're the same to me.

Once again, if you want to convince a critical thinker and empiricist, you'll need more than that. You'll need compelling, evidenced arguments.

muhammad_isa

I don't need to. You asserted the opposite without argument.
It's not me that first brought up satirical comparisons.
No you don't need to .. nor do you need to argue that Abrahamic religion is a fairy tale
or conspiracy to pervert.

You implied that there was an important difference that made gods and imaginary characters inappropriate to compare and contrast. I disagreed. They're the same to me.
..then show us all how they are the same .. show us how the Bible and Qur'an do not contain any truth.
..not how they are inaccurate or personal opinion .. that's a different thing.

Once again, if you want to convince a critical thinker and empiricist, you'll need more than that..
It's not possible to convince anybody if they have a closed mind.
Nor am I in the business of trying to convince anybody.
Why should I be? :)

QuestioningMind

OK .. but I still see magical pixies and spaghetti monsters as irrelevant to the topic. :)
They are exactly as relevant as your god claim, since the EXACT SAME claims can be made about all three. If my argument for magical pixies is just as valid as your argument for god then it demonstrates that the argument is a very poor argument.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What is a "magical pixie" ?
I'd say that magic is the ability to alter reality independently of the rules of reality. A miracle is magic attributed to a god.

So a 'magical pixie' would have some or other ability that operated in reality independently of the rules of reality ─ perhaps invisibility, or the granting of certain classes of wishes, or bilocation, teleportation, that kind of thing.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
It's not me that first brought up satirical comparisons.
What "satirical comparisons" are you claiming were made?
Because comparing Flying Spaghetti Monster, Russell's Teapot, the Loch Ness Monster, the Easter Bunny, Santa Clause, Big Foot, etc. with your god
as ALSO being something that can't be disproven by science and cannot be refuted is not being satirical.
It is being point blank on point.

Your being upset that your god can legitimately be compared to a really long list of things that can't be disproven by science and cannot be refuted is a you problem.