• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God can not be disproven by science

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
..well that is not so different than saying that G-d is not subject to our space & time..
..and that G-d is responsible for its existence.

It's all relative ;)

Is it? I though it was saying other universes, if they exist will have their own laws which may or may not be similar to ours.

Interestingly, progrssors Andrei Linde and Vitaly have calculated the possible number of universes. 10^10^16 universes that our brains would recognise as universes and approximately twice that number if universes that the human brain could not comprehend.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Not at all.
Space and time are merely perceptions .. we call them "reality" .. as they are of course, from our
perspective in this universe.
G-d does not have to be "observable" .. G-d is NOT PART of the physical universe.

The mistake you are making, is in thinking that what we can/have observe(d) is all there is !
That cannot be proved, nor is it likely.

If something effects me then it can be observed.
If it can't effect me then no reason to worry about it.

The more you describe the attributes of God the less reasons there are to be concerned about them.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
@Nakosis said "That's fine since I take that to mean we can't interact with God and God can't interact with us as interaction requires both space and time.."

I am merely saying that this is false. I rejected his premises. :)

You are free to reject it, but that is still the way it works. If God can affect the physical universe than that physical affect can be measured by science.

The concept of God not being measurable by science is not my premise.
Anything that can affect the universe means that affect is measurable.

Why should we worry about something (God) which you continue to claim cannot affect the universe in any measurable way?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Okay, let’s take those definitions. You seem to be saying that time and space are the dimensions of the stage on which the drama of existence plays out, is that fair?

And are you sure than can be no noises off, no unseen influences on the players, as they strut the stage and deliver their lines?

If there exists players off-stage if they cause any influence on the stage, then that influence can be measured.
A lot of things, like gravity can't be directly observed for example however it's effects can.

Science can observe the effects and still falsify theories of the non-observable through the observation of the effects.

The problem here is saying that science cannot verify God. That only that can be true is if God has no effect on the universe.

You can't have it both ways. Either Gods has an effect on the universe, which is all that is required by science for observation or God causes no observable effect on the universe in which case there would be nothing to observe.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Yes .. like we can observe the change in people when they become spiritually enlightened,
but we cannot observe their soul/mind .. study it, maybe .. but not necessarily comprehend.

Try an MRI, the mind can and is studied

spiritual-experience.jpg

This is an image of god...

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Who says that G-d can't?
We are just going round in circles..

From the OP "God can not be disproven by science."

This would only be true if God had no observable affect on the universe.

Empirical evidence is observable evidence which science can use to falsify theories/claims.

If science cannot disprove God it is only because has no observable effect on the universe.
The problem is that science has dis-proven so many claims about God to the point that the overwhelming lack of proof is itself proof.

The failure is not with science. The failure is with believers inability to provide any measurable or observable proof of their claims about God.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
From the OP "God can not be disproven by science."

This would only be true if God had no observable affect on the universe.

Empirical evidence is observable evidence which science can use to falsify theories/claims.

If science cannot disprove God it is only because has no observable effect on the universe.
The problem is that science has dis-proven so many claims about God to the point that the overwhelming lack of proof is itself proof.

The failure is not with science. The failure is with believers inability to provide any measurable or observable proof of their claims about God.
As I was reading this, I removed the word "God" and replaced it with some other abstract "made up" human notion that doesn't have any observable existence - morality.

Morality has no observable effect on the universe as morality is not a "thing" with dimensions in time or space. Can't even try to reduce it down to some dumb math equation either, as with gravity.

Thus, we should also reject the existence of morality, as it more or less follows the same pattern here. There's no measurable or observable proofs of anyone's claims about morality. There is overwhelming lack of evidence for morality. It's just made up nonsense.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Yes .. like we can observe the change in people when they become spiritually enlightened,
but we cannot observe their soul/mind .. study it, maybe .. but not necessarily comprehend.

People are constantly changing. The universe is constantly changing.
Observing people/the universe changing is only proof that people/the universe changes, nothing else.

There exist theories and proof for those theories of why people and the universe changes.
God is not required for the testing of any of these theories.

You can claim God caused the change. I can claim a pink unicorn cause the change. Since neither can be tested, they are both equally invalid claims per science.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
As I was reading this, I removed the word "God" and replaced it with some other abstract "made up" human notion that doesn't have any observable existence - morality.

Morality has no observable effect on the universe as morality is not a "thing" with dimensions in time or space. Can't even try to reduce it down to some dumb math equation either, as with gravity.

Thus, we should also reject the existence of morality, as it more or less follows the same pattern here. There's no measurable or observable proofs of anyone's claims about morality. There is overwhelming lack of evidence for morality. It's just made up nonsense.

Yes, I reject the existence of morality. It is just some made up nonsense.

People make choices based on a number of observable factors like genetics, culture, environment.
We make up a concept like morality to explain the choices we make because we fail to understand the actual causes for these choices.

Sure there exists a whole realm of pseudo knowledge about morality just like there exists a realm of pseudo knowledge about God. Morality is simply more made up woo because we can't understand the cause and can't stand to accept how actually ignorant we are about it.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, I reject the existence of morality. It is just some made up nonsense.

People make choices based on a number of observable factors like genetics, culture, environment.
We make up a concept like morality to explain the choices we make because we fail to understand the actual causes for these choices.

Sure there exists a whole realm of pseudo knowledge about morality just like there exists a realm of pseudo knowledge about God. Morality is simply more made up woo because we can't understand the cause and can't stand to accept how actually ignorant we are about it.
So... just to be clear... you are... not being sarcastic?

I mean... if not... at.... at least you're sort of trying to be consistent in rejection of huge swaths of reality and the human experience? :sweat:

muhammad_isa

Veteran Member

If science cannot disprove God it is only because has no observable effect on the universe..
I don't think so.
Take the weather, for example .. can we predict with any certainty what it will be like tomorrow? No.
One cannot disprove that G-d might be able to change it .. locally AND globally.

We don't have to .. you either believe or disbelieve .. end of!
As we can see from this site, many people explain their faith to others until they are "blue in the face",
but if people are obstinate, they continue to argue against. :)