• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God Consciousness and Social Consciousness

Tonymai

Lonesome Religionist
Human self-consciousness implies the recognition of the reality of selves other than the conscious self and further implies that such awareness is mutual; that the self is known as it knows. This is shown in a purely human manner in man’s social life. But you cannot become so absolutely certain of a fellow being’s reality as you can of the reality of the presence of God that lives within you. The social consciousness is not inalienable like the God-consciousness; it is a cultural development and is dependent on knowledge, symbols, and the contributions of the constitutive endowments of man—science, morality, and religion. And these cosmic gifts, socialized, constitute civilization.

Onkara

Best then to remain with "the reality of the presence of God that lives within you", than to concern oneself with the concept of Social consciousness?

Tonymai

Lonesome Religionist
Best then to remain with "the reality of the presence of God that lives within you", than to concern oneself with the concept of Social consciousness?

The measure of how much you know God within is proportion to how much you know your fellows.

Onkara

The measure of how much you know God within is proportion to how much you know your fellows.

Surely God within comes first? To know your Self (God within) means you can then know your fellows (their God within being the same), wouldn't you say?
:)

Onkara

Why should a deity, for whom there is no evidence of its existence, come first?

Because existence is the "deity". The "deity" need not be separate to your being/existence. It might appear separate, but that is just an appearance. The deity isn't separate from you or me (or anyone). Tonymai and I seem to agree that God is within us already. So without existence itself there would be no first or second, no me or you or God within. So we must first agree on that. :)

Do you feel separate from God within?

Because existence is the "deity". The "deity" need not be separate to your being/existence. It might appear separate, but that is just an appearance. The deity isn't separate from you or me (or anyone). Tonymai and I seem to agree that God is within us already. So without existence itself there would be no first or second, no me or you or God within. So we must first agree on that. :)

Do you feel separate from God within?

I don't understand the concept of god within?

Onkara

I don't understand the concept of god within?
Hello
For me it is more emotional, a feeling (not physically necessarily) but a sense of existence being more permanent than thoughts i.e. "God consciousness". What ever I do, I have this sensation of "God within". A bit like unconditional love, the love has no end, it just flows, without fear, mistrust or sense of enmity or concern. For me "God" isn't separate to me (God can be but the God I know of is in me).

I wonder if others would describe it the same or differently?

Tonymai

Lonesome Religionist
Why should a deity, for whom there is no evidence of its existence, come first?

No, the One Deity concept does not come first. The concepts of deity come first. The concept of one Deity comes after long contemplation and personal experiences. It is the quality of One Deity causes people to have the concepts of Deity. It is just like the laws of science causes many phenomena which to the primitive people were supernatural. But as human thinking becomes mature, they will recognize such things are the results of natural laws. One Deity concept comes after superstitious beliefs in many gods.

Last edited:

elmarna

To me -God's conscienceness is like a "undertow" in the waters of life.
It is indeed a flow of feeling!
In deep meditation the serenity of positive energy leaves one "tranqual"
The essence of that life always with me and I strive to have that connection placed in the conscience state as well!

Tonymai

Lonesome Religionist
To me -God's conscienceness is like a "undertow" in the waters of life.
It is indeed a flow of feeling!
In deep meditation the serenity of positive energy leaves one "tranqual"
The essence of that life always with me and I strive to have that connection placed in the conscience state as well!

Life is full when material facts are recognized, philosophical meanings are comprehended, and religious values are recognized.