• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God Is Not A Christian

Muffled

Jesus in me
I think you and @Muffled need to read the passage again.

"And these signs shall follow them that believe:"

If a person believes, they will exhibit the signs listed.

It really isn't that hard to comprehend. The only problem is that we know that the passage is wrong: believers often don't exhibit the signs the passage says they will.

One response to this (i.e. that this section of Mark was a later addition, so it can be incorrect without reflecting on the "original" Bible) is generally reasonable. Denying that the passage says what it clearly does is not a reasonable response.

I looked at it again even though I have the Holy Spirit and I know what He says is true.

Mark 16:17 And these signs shall accompany them that believe: in my name shall they cast out demons; they shall speak with new tongues;

The word accompany means that these things will be found among Christians not that all will practice them.

For instance in the company of Christians one might find a carpenter but not all Christians are carpenters.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I looked at it again even though I have the Holy Spirit and I know what He says is true.

Mark 16:17 And these signs shall accompany them that believe: in my name shall they cast out demons; they shall speak with new tongues;

The word accompany means that these things will be found among Christians not that all will practice them.

For instance in the company of Christians one might find a carpenter but not all Christians are carpenters.
So you're saying that while individual Christians might not do these things, a group of Christians will?

Does this necessarily happen?

Muffled

Jesus in me
So you're saying that while individual Christians might not do these things, a group of Christians will?

Does this necessarily happen?

I believe I am not saying that. I am saying that among the millions of Christians you will find those signs but not everyone will perform them. As to gifts they can be asked for and there are some groups dedicated to doing that.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
I shower regularly but only shave once a week on Sunday to save money on razor blades.

The thing is that there is another verse on this subject:
I Cor. 12:10 and to another workings of miracles; and to another prophecy; and to another discernings of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; and to another the interpretation of tongues:

So although the gifts will show up among Christians not all Christians will have the same gift and maybe some will have none mentioned and others many.

The whole "speaking in tongues" thing is blown out of proportion. What it means is that someone who is speaking will spontaneously start using a language that they do not know, and the audience will be able to understand what is being said, even though none of them know that language either. It is a true miracle.

The problem is that it simply does not happen. Every single person that I have witnessed "speaking in tongues" just started babbling a bunch of nonsense, and the "interpreter" told us what was said. It is all planned in advance and nothing but theatrics. Certain sects expect the "speaking in tongues" to happen, and so the pastors give it to them.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I believe I am not saying that. I am saying that among the millions of Christians you will find those signs but not everyone will perform them. As to gifts they can be asked for and there are some groups dedicated to doing that.
So as advice to people who are going out to baptize believers and are looking for something to help them figure out who is and isn't a believer, it's basically useless?

In that case, why do you think Jesus said it in this context?

ak.yonathan

The whole "speaking in tongues" thing is blown out of proportion. What it means is that someone who is speaking will spontaneously start using a language that they do not know, and the audience will be able to understand what is being said, even though none of them know that language either. It is a true miracle.

The problem is that it simply does not happen. Every single person that I have witnessed "speaking in tongues" just started babbling a bunch of nonsense, and the "interpreter" told us what was said. It is all planned in advance and nothing but theatrics. Certain sects expect the "speaking in tongues" to happen, and so the pastors give it to them.
None of that proves that genuine speaking in tongues does not exist. It just proves how some people who call themselves Christians do not actually believe that God will give them that ability so they feel the need to fake it.

Last edited:

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
None of that proves that genuine speaking in tongues does not exist. It just proves how some people who call themselves Christians do not actually believe that God will give them that ability so they feel the need to fake it.

No it does not "prove" it but it explains the theatrics as to why it is done.

When you have a recording of an actual miracle based tongues event, come talk to me. Until then it is just some BS showmanship because that particular denomination/sect/cult expects it.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe it has been said that imitation is the highest praise.

Muffled

Jesus in me
So as advice to people who are going out to baptize believers and are looking for something to help them figure out who is and isn't a believer, it's basically useless?

In that case, why do you think Jesus said it in this context?[/QUOTE]

For a person with the gift of spiritual discernment it can be an indicator.

I was asked to provide a testimony. This seems reasonable. A person should be able to say how he received Jesus.

I don't believe the context is an examination of believers. I believe one could go by the general context ie that a believer will display fruit. Ga 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,

Muffled

Jesus in me
No it does not "prove" it but it explains the theatrics as to why it is done.

When you have a recording of an actual miracle based tongues event, come talk to me. Until then it is just some BS showmanship because that particular denomination/sect/cult expects it.

I believe I don't have a microphome.