• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God to save Montreal

Pah

Uber all member
The push to save the 'godless' in Canada
U.S. evangelicals set sights on Montrealers

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=ba9a4685-33c0-4739-8731-fd97121b5a5e

Jennifer Green, The Ottawa Citizen
Published: Tuesday, September 05, 2006

MONTREAL - U.S. evangelicals have come to Canada to save what they say is one of the most godless cities on the continent: Montreal.

They are in Ottawa too, at a church called Sequoia, which is hoping to build a sprawling "Cross Training Facility" in Barrhaven -- a worship centre, school and sports facility.

This is not the first time Montreal has been targeted for a spiritual makeover.

Last year, the evangelical group Jews for Jesus also named the city as one of North America's most "unreached" communities and came to hand out leaflets downtown, much to the dismay of Montreal Jews.
The evangelical group Fellowship French Missions says on its website that "only 0.54 per cent (half of one percent) of Canada's francophones are evangelical Christians, which makes Canada's French-speaking population the 'most unreached mission field in North America.' "
Mr. Smith even says he has seen signs of demonic possession in the province -- not red-eyed creatures with horns and pitch forks, but the moral corruption and despair that he says comes when people lose faith.

Mr. Smith believes the Quiet Revolution, which shook off the political influence of the Catholic church, "threw the baby out with the bath water."

It is a city where "Jesus Christ" and "tabernacle" are swear words, and people shudder with bitterness at the scandals within the Catholic church.

"They see the church as a leech on society," he says.
Montreal is also one of the most European and postmodern regions in North America, virtually "post Christian," meaning it sees Christianity as irrelevant to cultural norms and values, maybe even a negative influence.
Does Canada feel like they need missionaries?

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
Pah said:
The push to save the 'godless' in Canada
U.S. evangelicals set sights on Montrealers

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=ba9a4685-33c0-4739-8731-fd97121b5a5e

Jennifer Green, The Ottawa Citizen
Published: Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Does Canada feel like they need missionaries?
Do I, as a Canadian, feel like we need missionaries? No. I'm sure we have enough of our own. No donations needed, thank you.

Do I, as a Canadian, feel like we need more evangelical Christians? No, sorry, I do not.

Someone please tell me why we let these people in? ...Sometimes I think we're simply too nice. *Shakes head*

Circle_One said:
Is it wrong that I'm proud? :D :biglaugh:
lol Score one for Godless Canada! Oh Canada our home and Godless land...Go Montreal!

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Tigress said:
Do I, as a Canadian, feel like we need missionaries? No. I'm sure we have enough of our own. No donations needed, thank you.

Do I, as a Canadian, feel like we need more evangelical Christians? No, sorry, I do not.

Someone please tell me why we let these people in? ...Sometimes I think we're simply too nice. *Shakes head*

lol Score one for Godless Canada! Oh Canada our home and Godless land...Go Montreal!

This bored west coaster can only agree 100%. I agree, we are just too freakin nice for our own good. What I don't quite understand is why Evangelicals would think we wanted more of their "kind"? They obviously have not done their homework, lol.

Our Customs people were probably worried someone would get horribly offended if they turned them away. I can't speak for the others, but I am trying to imagine how it would play if I ran into Evangelicals like this. It would be amusing, I assure you.
:monkey:

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
YmirGF said:
Our Customs people were probably worried someone would get horribly offended if they turned them away. I can't speak for the others, but I am trying to imagine how it would play if I ran into Evangelicals like this. It would be amusing, I assure you.
:monkey:
lol You're probably right. Heaven forbid we be tough with someone. :rolleyes: You know, even though we have Evangelicals of our own, I still think they'll find Canadians overall less receptive to their 'kind,' as it were.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
A bit tough on the Canadians to be invaded by evangelicals.
But the more that go there the less there will be to bother us in Europe.
We have our own home growns but they mostly keep to them selves.

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
Terrywoodenpic said:
Gee...thanks... :sarcastic ;)

Not so much tough as it is a nuisance. :p

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Terrywoodenpic said:

Western Europe sure. Go to eastern Europe in the summer, especially somewhere like a student coastal resort, and it feels like there are more American evangelicals there than there are in the US. I'm sure there can't be that many left to invade Canada! Or then again, maybe they spend summers here and winters in Canada? If that's the case then you're probably best of avoiding ski resorts.

My experience would suggest that evangelical 'missionaries' are really just obnoxious holiday makers (usually with the cultural sensitivity of a Basil Fawlty) who feel better about wasting time on such frivolous things as leisure by convincing themselves that they're actually doing 'the Lord's work'. Or is that just me being over-cynical?

And why on earth, would an 87% devout Christian country like Romania even need Christian missionaries, anyway? As I said, holiday makers with an excuse, so avoid tourist spots and you'll likely be safe, whether in Canada, Romania or Timbuktu

James