• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God's name?

Truth_Faith13

In another thread the question was asked about why some members use G_d and miss out the "o". The answer was that they don't think you should speak Gods name, but isn't God just a title? Does God have a name? Do we know it and don't speak it or Do we just not know it? Was curious to see where this fitted in with LDS belief?

Thankyou :D

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
I thought many viewed it as a name. That's the only reason why I always type God with a capital.

O wait, LDS section... ehr, just view this as info then :D

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
In another thread the question was asked about why some members use G_d and miss out the "o". The answer was that they don't think you should speak Gods name, but isn't God just a title? Does God have a name? Do we know it and don't speak it or Do we just not know it? Was curious to see where this fitted in with LDS belief?

We refer to God (i.e. the Father) as Elohim. This is the name by which He goes in the Pearl of Great Price. Jesus Christ is referred to as Jehovah. Elohim is actually a title as well as a name, and it is actually a plural form. When you go to the temple, you'll hear God referred to as Elohim. Most of the time outside of the temple, we refer to Him just as our Father in Heaven.

Truth_Faith13

We refer to God (i.e. the Father) as Elohim. This is the name by which He goes in the Pearl of Great Price. Jesus Christ is referred to as Jehovah. Elohim is actually a title as well as a name, and it is actually a plural form. When you go to the temple, you'll hear God referred to as Elohim. Most of the time outside of the temple, we refer to Him just as our Father in Heaven.

Thanks Katz, so Jehovah is Jesus Christ not Heavenly Father as Jehovah Witnesses think? Is in Elohim in the Bible as well or just the Pearl of Great Price?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Thanks Katz, so Jehovah is Jesus Christ not Heavenly Father as Jehovah Witnesses think?
Right.

Is in Elohim in the Bible as well or just the Pearl of Great Price?
It's not in the Bible, but I know I've heard other religions use the word "elohim." I'm not sure where they're getting it from. You could ask a question on the Abrahamic DIR and see what you come up with. I would expect most of your answers to be from either Jews or from posters with a good knowledge of Hebrew studies.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
OK, Im not sure I got that right. but are you saying the word Elohim אלהים, is not in the bible?

It is, although different books of the Hebrew bible have their own tendency to use certain of the titles for God.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
OK, Im not sure I got that right. but are you saying the word Elohim אלהים, is not in the bible?

It is, although different books of the Hebrew bible have their own tendency to use certain of the titles for God.
I just did a search of the KJV and didn't find it. It kind of surprised me, so if you could tell me where it's found, I'd be interested in hearing from you.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
The very first words of the Hebrew bible, are:

Bere**** bara Elohim.. בראשית ברא אלהים

"In the Begining, God created.."

The word Elohim (plural of Eloha) appears frequently in the bible.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

Thanks. I should have realized that, and checked further than the KJV.

Reiðrœska

Voice deeper than Thor's
People write G_d because if his name was written on a piece of paper and that paper discarded, it would be disrespectful.

Truth_Faith13

Thank-you! :)

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Dream Angel,

In Judaism and the Hebrew bible the most important name of God is the Tetragrammaton or YHVH/יהוה (Yod He Vav He) it appears many times in the bible, used in the Jewish Sidur (Prayer book) but for many centuries it is not pronounced.
In the Sephardi Sidur, the Tetragrammaton appears in unique ways derived from the Kabbalah (in Kabbalah the name of God is used in meditative ways).

Last edited:

Anti-Constantine

Non-Creedal

I first came across this phenomena in a Jewish forum, it was highly prevalent and I did not see God typed out while on that forum. I had assumed it was a Jewish thing to type God "G_D" as a means avoiding using God as a name. I came across it later at the Mormon Apologetics and Discussion Forums. I have since seen a growing trend in many forums for individuals of various Christian faiths to use this form. I assume it is out of respect, it is not a religious edict of some type.

deseretgov

Unofficial Ambassador
Yes God does have a name. I'll give you some clues:

Clue 1:
Adam-ondi-Ahman in the Adamic Language is roughly equivalent with Adam with God in English

Clue 2
Jehovah's name is mentioned twice in the PGP:

D&C 78:20
20 Wherefore, do the things which I have commanded you, saith your Redeemer, even the Son Ahman, who prepareth all things before he taketh you;

D&C 95:17
17 And let the higher part of the inner court be dedicated unto me for the school of mine apostles, saith Son Ahman; or, in other words, Alphus; or, in other words, Omegus; even Jesus Christ your Lord. Amen.

Worshipper

I think God is a title, since there are more than one God, as we see clearly in the Book of Abraham.

If God has a name, I don't think we've ever been told what it is. Elohim is a title. Jehovah seems to be a title (in fact, a title that developed out of Jehovah's refusal to answer the question, "what's your name?"). Ahman even seems to be a title, based on Moses 6:57.

When Moses asked God for His name, God replied, "I am what I am." God is who he is, not any of the labels we use for him.

As for typing G-d instead of God, I think it's a Jewish thing that has worked its way a bit into Christian usage.

Katya

When I was younger, I thought our Heavenly Father and God were two different people. I was 6 when my mother told me they were the same person. :D