• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God's opposition to homosexuality. Why?

Agnostic75

Yeshe Dawa said:
Hi Agnostic75!

I agree with your basic premise, that there is nothing intrinsically wrong with homosexuality, and that it isn't chosen by those who have a homosexual orientation. However, I think you will be hard pressed to prove an argument that the Christian holy texts do not oppose it, or that it hasn't been opposed for the majority of Christian history, with the exception of some modern liberal denominations.

In my post #551, I said:

"But there are not any original first century citations about homosexuality, and the oldest copies probably date centuries after Christ. Still, I believe that it is probable that first century Bible writers had personal prejudices against homosexuality and falsely believed that God opposes homosexuality."

Even though I do not believe that there is any "textual" evidence of first century A.D. biblical writings against homosexuality, I believe that it is plausible that there were some since it is very doubtful that first century Christian writers would have been enlightened enough to approve of homosexuality.

Last edited:
I don't believe he does. I believe the bible has been more influenced by man then God. And if God crated something I do not believe he would detest it.

As a woman I give birth. I could never detest my child. Now I understand their are women out there who would or parents who are horrible, but God is love and goodness. And if something as inperfect as me can love and cherish my child how can I even begin to comprehend Gods love.

waitasec

Veteran Member
As a woman I give birth. I could never detest my child. Now I understand their are women out there who would or parents who are horrible, but God is love and goodness. And if something as inperfect as me can love and cherish my child how can I even begin to comprehend Gods love.

how do you know that?

:D Honestly it's a feeling I have deep inside of me. Personally I don't believe God will condemn anyone. I believe God is an amazing father who wants us to really live in happiness with him for eternity and someone who wants us to know how deep his love for us and love him back. We can only experience love through knowing hate, only good through evil. He put us here to experience all this world has to offer so that when we go to heaven we will know true love and happiness so that we can share in this with him for all eternity.

If I am wrong so be it, but because of what I believe I accept all people no matter who they are. But when it comes down to it all any religion has is a book written by man, translated by man, and published by man. During times where we knew nothing of this world. Not to attack religion, just letting you know how I can to believe what I believe. :flower:

Acim

Revelation all the time
how do you know that?

By knowing Love.

It is possible to remove "God" from the picture, but less possible to remove Love. And we have knowledge of Love, from Love.

At times we relegate / minimize this to 'mere feeling' that is chemical reaction in brain, nothing more. But at level of deep awareness (of which I have experience) it is basis of all knowledge. Perhaps not all 'understanding' but all Knowledge. It is how you know what you know.

And at level I became acutely aware, it is permanence that is with us, even if we are not 'with it.' This is very challenging to describe, though when experienced it becomes obvious that the Love is always going on and is how all things (really thoughts, but highly meaningful thoughts) come to us, stay with us, are us.

You pop back into this reality, and suddenly / magically it is not so obvious how Love is in charge, but instead it seems like something else, that varies from person to person, situation to situation and is represented by huge disconnect that is observable in all of us. For, at this level, I am convinced, you are not 'me.' As if I know 'you' well enough, to know you are not 'me.'

waitasec

Veteran Member
:D Honestly it's a feeling I have deep inside of me. Personally I don't believe God will condemn anyone. I believe God is an amazing father who wants us to really live in happiness with him for eternity and someone who wants us to know how deep his love for us and love him back. We can only experience love through knowing hate, only good through evil. He put us here to experience all this world has to offer so that when we go to heaven we will know true love and happiness so that we can share in this with him for all eternity.

If I am wrong so be it, but because of what I believe I accept all people no matter who they are. But when it comes down to it all any religion has is a book written by man, translated by man, and published by man. During times where we knew nothing of this world. Not to attack religion, just letting you know how I can to believe what I believe. :flower:

for me life is indifferent. and to bring this back to the thread, the mere presence of hate/fear for those who are different reaffirms this POV. which is why certain religious people believe god is opposed to homosexuals.

if every single mother loved their children then i would agree, but that isn't the case...

i know i'm a bummer...but i do appreciate your way of thinking.
:rainbow1:

waitasec

Veteran Member
By knowing Love.

It is possible to remove "God" from the picture, but less possible to remove Love. And we have knowledge of Love, from Love.

At times we relegate / minimize this to 'mere feeling' that is chemical reaction in brain, nothing more. But at level of deep awareness (of which I have experience) it is basis of all knowledge. Perhaps not all 'understanding' but all Knowledge. It is how you know what you know.

And at level I became acutely aware, it is permanence that is with us, even if we are not 'with it.' This is very challenging to describe, though when experienced it becomes obvious that the Love is always going on and is how all things (really thoughts, but highly meaningful thoughts) come to us, stay with us, are us.

You pop back into this reality, and suddenly / magically it is not so obvious how Love is in charge, but instead it seems like something else, that varies from person to person, situation to situation and is represented by huge disconnect that is observable in all of us. For, at this level, I am convinced, you are not 'me.' As if I know 'you' well enough, to know you are not 'me.'

it's interesting with the religions that profess god is love (2/3 of all religions)... some (a relative term) are so inclined to hate those who are gay... :confused: :(

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
I don't believe he does. I believe the bible has been more influenced by man then God. And if God crated something I do not believe he would detest it.
Okay, but remember the point of view of this thread is based on "typical interpretations by religious conservatives" as announced in the OP.