• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

gods vs super aliens

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
No, there seemed to be an argument that God is God because he always existed. How do we know this? God told them, and he told the people who wrote the book.
From a monotheistic perspective, yes, however many polytheistic faiths are not so - gods were begotten in Ásatrú and wotnot, this is why polytheistic deities can be more difficult to separate as aliens. If we seperate the belief that God was once created, then it becomes the "who created God?" thing. At a guess an alien would have to evolve. If it's similar to the polytheistic style, then we're left with aliens again - or, an alien who might be some kind of mad scientist. :D

In my view, for example, the Mormonism concept of God is pretty alienesque.

As for the last part, we are talking about far-future aliens here. Who says they even reproduce? Perhaps they might use cloning machines. They might be immortal, or disembodied energy (just like 2010: Odyssey Two - because the thread has already referenced 2001) or something equally outlandish.
Then to many they would be like gods, yet there could have been a time when they were not, and they could have evolved from anything.

This is why the Hindu concept is much better. :D

cardero

Citizen Mod
Odion writes: In my view, for example, the Mormonism concept of God is pretty alienesque.
In the field of UFOlogy, Joseph Smith smacks researchers as a classic contactee case. I was first introduced to Joseph Smith this way. It has been difficult to overcome this first impression.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
In the field of UFOlogy, Joseph Smith smacks researchers as a classic contactee case. I was first introduced to Joseph Smith this way. It has been difficult to overcome this first impression.
Hehehehe. :)

For me it's the physical body they have and how Kolob is important to him, and how he became a God after following his God and stuff like that (and how some early Mormons believed God had intercourse with Mary - but this is rarer now):D

logician

If super-intelligent being could guide the evolution of species, create life, etc. they would for all intents and purposes BE gods to the species under their "wings", and could be more "real" to them than any god concepts we have conjured up.

TechTed

If super-intelligent being could guide the evolution of species, create life, etc. they would for all intents and purposes BE gods to the species under their "wings", and could be more "real" to them than any god concepts we have conjured up.

Which is why the concept of 'God' has been and always will be a matter of individual perspective.