• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good and Evil? God is ....

Tre-L

Two Tears In a Bucket
Some would call me religious based on my belief in God. Even so, belief in a power greater than self hardly suggests that one is religious. God is far from being an imaginary friend also. I think we experience God in as much as we are able to know and experience love, and as much as we allow ourselves to experience life itself.

I think life stems from God, and that all things in life reflect his nature. Perhaps God in his entirety is both good and evil. Then again, good and evil are quite subjective to each individual, so perhaps it would be better said that God is both creative and destructive (Pleasant and unpleasant).

Much like God, mankind can be both good and evil, or rather we are able to create and destroy. Nothing is inherently good, nor is anything inherently evil as these terms are not absolute. They are relative being that we as humans experience them subjectively.

Man tends to cater to either the destructive force in life (Evil) or to the creative force in live (Good) and we do so out of the desires of our hearts. Even so, sometimes destruction is necessary in order to create. Does this make the destructive force in life evil, or simply unpleasant for some?

If you take a blank canvas and paint a picture on it, you have effectively destroyed the canvas, yet at the same time you have created something in the process. This is how I view good and evil. They are non existent except in the minds of each individual, yet they are very real aspects of life.

God is the same way. God exists in the hearts and minds of mankind, but not all are able to recognize God as being something real. This does not diminish his reality in any way, it only shows us that we have different perceptions when it comes to his existence. For some God is a mere concept, for others He is the reason we have life at all.

For instance, I believe God is all things existing "I Am All in All and All things". God to me is both the creative force in life, and the destructive force in life, and we (Being made in His image) are able to tap into these forces, and live accordingly.

Jesus just so happened to show us how to tap into the creative side of life, which is the only force mankind needs to concern ourselves with. Love lends itself to creation, whereas hate and indifference lends itself to destruction and/or placidity.

I believe we were meant to grow, create, procreate, and live our lives with a genuine love for our fellow man and for all living things. Otherwise we will never advance as a species 'spiritually', nor will we be able to live the life we were meant to one day experience.

3L

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Some would call me religious based on my belief in God. Even so, belief in a power greater than self hardly suggests that one is religious. God is far from being an imaginary friend also. I think we experience God in as much as we are able to know and experience love, and as much as we allow ourselves to experience life itself.

I think life stems from God, and that all things in life reflect his nature. Perhaps God in his entirety is both good and evil. Then again, good and evil are quite subjective to each individual, so perhaps it would be better said that God is both creative and destructive (Pleasant and unpleasant).

Much like God, mankind can be both good and evil, or rather we are able to create and destroy. Nothing is inherently good, nor is anything inherently evil as these terms are not absolute. They are relative being that we as humans experience them subjectively.

Man tends to cater to either the destructive force in life (Evil) or to the creative force in live (Good) and we do so out of the desires of our hearts. Even so, sometimes destruction is necessary in order to create. Does this make the destructive force in life evil, or simply unpleasant for some?

If you take a blank canvas and paint a picture on it, you have effectively destroyed the canvas, yet at the same time you have created something in the process. This is how I view good and evil. They are non existent except in the minds of each individual, yet they are very real aspects of life.

God is the same way. God exists in the hearts and minds of mankind, but not all are able to recognize God as being something real. This does not diminish his reality in any way, it only shows us that we have different perceptions when it comes to his existence. For some God is a mere concept, for others He is the reason we have life at all.

For instance, I believe God is all things existing "I Am All in All and All things". God to me is both the creative force in life, and the destructive force in life, and we (Being made in His image) are able to tap into these forces, and live accordingly.

Jesus just so happened to show us how to tap into the creative side of life, which is the only force mankind needs to concern ourselves with. Love lends itself to creation, whereas hate and indifference lends itself to destruction and/or placidity.

I believe we were meant to grow, create, procreate, and live our lives with a genuine love for our fellow man and for all living things. Otherwise we will never advance as a species 'spiritually', nor will we be able to live the life we were meant to one day experience.

3L
You are aware that this is a debate forum and not a mountain top?

CarlinKnew

Some would call me religious based on my belief in God. Even so, belief in a power greater than self hardly suggests that one is religious.
Where did you acquire your concept of god? Was it not from religion? Is it just a coincidence that your idea of god is similar to the god(s) of religion(s) you've been exposed to?
Even so, belief in a power greater than self hardly suggests that one is religious.
True, I believe that the US military is a power greater than myself and I'm not religious. But if you believe an idea proposed by a religion, e.g. that some god exists, then your belief is religious.
God is far from being an imaginary friend also.
How is it any different?
I think we experience God in as much as we are able to know and experience love, and as much as we allow ourselves to experience life itself.
Why do you attribute life and love to a god?
What about the thousands of different religions that propose contradictory supernatural concepts? What makes you think that yours is correct when there are so many superstitions to choose from?
Even if your belief is baseless at least in your case it leads to good intentions.

Tre-L

Two Tears In a Bucket
Where did you acquire your concept of god? Was it not from religion? Is it just a coincidence that your idea of god is similar to the god(s) of religion(s) you've been exposed to?

I'm sure my upbringing had a great deal to do with my belief that God created all life. I was exposed to Christianity at an early age, but have since ditched most of the religious baggage. I've held on to the belief that God is, and that we were meant to be caretakers and/or good stewards over the earth and all its occupants.

I believe that there is a creative force responsible for life, but this belief does not make me religious. Even most atheist admit that there had to be a force that triggered life. I call that creative force God for lack of a better term. Actually, I believe that existence as a whole is "God", and that everything in it is a small part of His reality.

True, I believe that the US military is a power greater than myself and I'm not religious. But if you believe an idea proposed by a religion, e.g. that some god exists, then your belief is religious.
I use the term God because it is a term I am comfortable with being raised in a Christian home. The term itself means supreme or ultimate reality. Existence as a whole is what I Believe God to consist of. Existence is the supreme reality, and is the source of all life. The term fits my beliefs, so I use it.

How is it any different?
Because I don't view God as a friend the way most use the term, but rather as the creator of all life. "God' is life, and all that life consists of. I don't worship, pretend I have a relationship with, or think he is up there somewhere in the universe dishing out reward and/or punishment. He is simply existence in its entirety and the creator of life as we know it. I recognize Him as such. I realize that we are governed by certain laws and/or principles built into existence itself (Much like the human body). Existence is alive just as we are alive.

Why do you attribute life and love to a god?
Because love creates, and life itself a product of who I view God to be.

What about the thousands of different religions that propose contradictory supernatural concepts? What makes you think that yours is correct when there are so many superstitions to choose from?
I don't concern myself with what others believe about God. I'm not superstitious, but rather acknowledge existence as being God. I believe we were meant to be caretakers and good stewards over the earth. If we could simply live our lives in the same fashion that Jesus lived His, we would fulfill that charge (IMO). I think that there is 'truth' present in most world religions, but also that none of them are completely accurate. Truth is truth no matter where it is found, and likewise falsehood is falsehood no matter where it is found. I think the problem is discarding the entirety of all religion based on the fact that they all (More than likely) present a few false concepts and ideals.

Even if your belief is baseless at least in your case it leads to good intentions.
Baseless? On what grounds?

Live, Love & Laugh

Last edited: