• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good books on agnosticism

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Hello there,

An an attempt to learn a little more about life and thought I'd like to have a read of some Agnostic books that go into the philosophy and psychological argument/discussion of the creation of an agnostic point of view and outlook.

Are there any books that any kind souls could recommend please?

Deviations from the outline above need not apply ;)

Thankyou

ChrisP

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Checking for the iguana... nope. All clear :D

Thanks Jay, a good starting point by the looks of it.

varioustbags

check out Eric Reitan's "is god a delusion?" (I recommend not just for agnostics, but anyway who is truly looking for truth)

He is a christian however he has written a great book with accounts from both points of view. He not only blasts organised religion for its foray into science and its claims of knowledge of the creator (if there is one), but he also tears apart atheists for there arrogance (in relation to science) and there ingnorance of anything transcendant from our own reality and the possibility of anything else. Some points you may agree or disagree with, but this is the first time I have seen an author really try to take the idea of spirituality and religion from an objective viewpoint (though a little religion leaning in some parts)

gilnv

gilnv
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Maybe, books that deal with consciousness or spiritual stuff like that could be close enough to be of interest to you. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I meditate often and expand my knowledge and questions thru personal inquiry. Reading books like the Yoga Sutras helps give me new areas to contemplate. The Yoga Sutras is free of most theological beliefs although some translations involve reincarnation and the idea that our consciousness may be part of a universal consciousness. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I think, therefore I'm am, am obsessed with my consciousness, instead of the rest of my body, you know, the physical oxygen, hydrogen, carbon, etc that we all know continues on.[/FONT]