• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goodbye Perhaps?

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
My only concern is the ongoing loss of the New Thread listing. I was also concerned about turning the place into some sort of online seminary but your previous post assuaged that concern.
We don't want a seminary, we just want more upmarket religious discussion. Perhaps ever since I started my Theology degree I've come to expect better. There are non-believers in that class and we all get on well with great discussions.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
We don't want a seminary, we just want more upmarket religious discussion. Perhaps ever since I started my Theology degree I've come to expect better. There are non-believers in that class and we all get on well with great discussions.
My perception is that since you started your degree you have become increasingly intolerant of views contrary to your own, so you want them essentially removing or hidden.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
But probably not with the participation numbers hoped for. I know of a strictly religious forum that has currently a total of about 10,000 threads in 6 sub-forums. I'm not currently a member and there's no guest viewing, so I can't speak to the activity, RF certainly has more "clicks" which is what the advertisers want.

Personally, I think it is very boring to participate in strictly religious or single-topic forums. I was previously a member of such forums, but I didn't stay long because of the lack of diversity, and certain members dominated the discussions. RF is by far the most diverse and active forum I've ever been a part of.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Sorry, I posted the above before asking what I had meant to ask:

What steps do you believe would address your current concerns regarding the forum?

I wanted to include the question in my reply to you (@Saint Frankenstein), but I welcome input from everyone else and would like to read their thoughts on this if they wish to share them.
For myself, I have no desire to change anything about RF. As I have said before, many posters are deeply interested in topics that don't interest me in the slightest (or, in fact, I find positively strange), but I have no difficulty at all ignoring them. Just as I enjoy reading my 3 newspapers each day (one very liberal, one quite conservative and one that pretends -- badly -- to be fair and balanced). I go through each from front to back, and simply pass over items in which I have no interest. I always read the op-ed pages, including letters to the editor, because the opinions of ordinary people interest me -- I like to think of myself as a student of human nature.

By the way, as interested as I am in science, I now also simply pass over (mostly) the threads on evolution versus creation (or ID), because I've seen the futility in trying to teach complex topics to those determined not to learn them. My solution is easy -- don't bother.

I can understand that moderators have to read a lot of posts that they're not interested in personally, in order to do their job. But that's what they signed up to do, isn't it?

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
My perception is that since you started your degree you have become increasingly intolerant of views contrary to your own, so you want them essentially removing or hidden.
Do you realize my degree is at a secular university and is not specifically Christian?

I have the same views I've always had. I am a traditionalist.

I don't know why this is coming up here though.

All I want is what over half polled on here want, which is for people to be quieter about US politics. That's literally it. I haven't mentioned any particular points of view I want to so called remove. I want all US politics and preferably all politics to go away. I haven't singled out an ideology.

Last edited:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Having worked with @Rival for years on staff, I can say that I don't doubt her integrity and commitment to fairly applying the forum rules as a mod. She and I disagree on many issues, but I don't see her attempting to remove or hide threads because she disagrees with them. If she did that, she would be unqualified to remain on staff in the first place.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Having worked with @Rival for years on staff, I can say that I don't doubt her integrity and commitment to fairly applying the forum rules as a mod. She and I disagree on many issues, but I don't see her attempting to remove or hide threads because she disagrees with them. If she did that, she would be unqualified to remain on staff in the first place.
I didn't suggest they had attempted to remove or hide threads, my disagreement is with the desire to have "all US politics and preferably all politics to go away."

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Do you realize my degree is at a secular university and is not specifically Christian?
Irrelevant to my point, which comes from "I've come to expect better." You seem to believe that if people were "better" they would "get it" and agree with you.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Irrelevant to my point, which comes from "I've come to expect better." You seem to believe that if people were "better" they would "get it" and agree with you.
Err what? I don't know how you reached that conclusion.

I meant more academic and intellectual discussions instead of low brow layman stuff.

Like Thomism vs Molinism.

Which epistles did Paul write?

What happened in the first century that made monotheism so attractive?

I would like that kind of thing without all the snark and 'Jesus didn't even exist!' nonsense and where people cite books instead of random websites.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
I didn't suggest they had attempted to remove or hide threads, my disagreement is with the desire to have "all US politics and preferably all politics to go away."
Many folks on here agree with me so why single me out? Look at the poll.

My desire to have all politics removed is shared by many.

Last edited:

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Err what? I don't know how you reached that conclusion.

I meant more academic and intellectual discussions instead of low brow layman stuff.

Like Thomism vs Molinism.

Which epistles did Paul write?

What happened in the first century that made monotheism so attractive?

I would like that kind of thing without all the snark and 'Jesus didn't even exist!' nonsense and where people cite books instead of random websites.
If RF became soley Thomism vs Molinism, there'd be more than a few leaving.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
My desire to have all politics removed is shared by many.
I just want to be clear in my position here.

We already have political forums here, so it would be unfair (and likely damaging to what would remain of the forum) to just remove them and abandon the members who enjoy participating in them. Removing them completely from the forum would be foolhardy at best.

A split, while possibly an alternative, probably wouldn't work well either, because we have many members that participate in both the religious and political fora, and having to navigate between two fora would be cumbersome at best.

I would prefer to have the visibility of the political forums optional, with members having the ability to opt out of seeing the political forums, and this could work in the opposite direction as well, where those who prefer to not see the religious portion of the forum to opt out of seeing that, sort of how the private forums or the ignore function work. I think this would be the most equitable and least damaging solution.

We can talk about this all the live-long day, but until the owners are convinced the changes are necessary and possible, and they grant the staff the CP permissions to make such changes, any discussion on this is moot.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
I doubt it. People have said they want more religious discussion.
They can start more threads then. Anyhoo, @SalixIncendium has virtually confirmed there'll be no major culling ("Removing them completely from the forum would be foolhardy at best"). I've been a member of a forum that focusses mostly on religion and it's dead on its feet. The owner is considering binning it.