• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gossip

t3gah

Lightkeeper said:
Is it sinful or harmful?
Sinful? That's a religious term. Are you sure you want to ask that question while this thread is in General Debates?:areyoucra

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think malicious gossip is immoral, but I also think that most gossip is not malicious. People are naturally curious about the goings on of their neighbors and acquaintences.

standing_on_one_foot

It's a universal human thing...we're social, it's helpful to know what's going on with the people around us...but it can be hurtful. When it hurts someone, then I figure it's bad. Otherwise, I don't care for it too much myself, but it's alright.

Melody

Lightkeeper said:
Do most of us gossip? Why do we gossip? Is it sinful or harmful?
I can't speak for other beliefs, but the Bible has any number of passages that deal with gossip and that it is wrong. As a general rule, I'd say most gossip is harmful since it usually involves talking about people who aren't there to defend themself or correct mistaken assumptions. Don't know whether it's gossip or social chat? Ask yourself whether you'd talk about it if the person was standing there with you. If you wouldn't, then it's gossip.

Melody

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
You will never catch me repeating gossip... so you better be sure and listen close the first time! HeeHaw.

Some people hate the fact that I won't talk behind their back. If I have something to say to you, I will make sure that you know about it first hand. But once everything is OUT in the open, you can work together for mutual understanding.

It depends. Would what you say possibly hurt the persons feelings or reputation? Is it a secret you promised to keep? Are you sure the information is true or is it from the grapevine with possible distortions from reality. In all, its best not to gossip.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Hi Lightkeeper,

Quote: [I think malicious gossip is immoral, but I also think that most gossip is not malicious. People are naturally curious about the goings on of their neighbors and acquaintences.]

malicious gossip is immoral? Yes, as a 'Theist', I'd agree.
not malicious? I'm not sure; I think some people find it hard to live without gossip - maybe they have nothing moreinteresting to talk about.
People are naturally curious...........;of course, curiosity is one of the very useful traits in human nature; curiosity is probably the 'mother' of invention.

On the whole, I think gossip is, at the least, dangerous. Chinese whispers? If one person tells another an interesting fact about someone else "But don't tell anyone I told you", each person told will feel justified in telling one other person.
At the end of the chain, with a mixture of misunderstanding and also 'embelishment', the gossip can easilly be dangerous - for all parties concerned.

I TRY not to gossip, but it is sometimes easy to 'go with the flow' when in the company of those who do so!
:eek:

No*s

Captain Obvious
Lightkeeper said:
Do most of us gossip? Why do we gossip? Is it sinful or harmful?

Yes. I've been guilty of it. Why? Frankly, I think it's easier to be concerned with someone else's affairs than our own. Is it sinful? Certainly, and harmful, when you consider that it requires that we be looking into someone else's interests rather than paying attention to our own. It's a means of self-elevation.

MasterChief

gossip is immoral, it can have damaging effects on the receiver.

mallicious gossip, is there any other kind?

anything else is just compliments