• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gott mit uns? Christian Nationalism is of the Antichrist!

Christians keep chanting that their nation and their ideology are in adherence with God. "We are God's people," they say, "Gott mit uns." They should be ashamed. Nothing is more counter to the teachings of Christ than nationalism. National pride runs counter to the Christian humility that God requires from us all. God calls us to love our neighbors and be reconciled with them, while nationalism fosters division and hate. God called us to shun idolatry and worship God alone, yet nationalism places itself above God and the principles of Christ. You are worshipping an idol.

Gott mit uns. You use this phrase to justify a host of moral evils: slavery, colonialism, and the injustices of war and capitalism. You use it to suppress and destroy people who are created in the very image of God (Genesis 1:27), whom Christ called us to love and care for. Christianity is about emphasizing universal love and compassion for all people, as seen in Jesus’ command to "love your neighbor as yourself" (Mark 12:31) and his teaching to "love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you" (Matthew 5:44).

God plays no favorites (Acts 10:34-35) and will judge all nations equally, as it says in Isaiah 2:4: “He will judge between the nations and will settle disputes for many peoples. They will beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore.” God is no respecter of persons or of nations but views us all the same (Galatians 3:28). Christ broke down all the barriers that divide us (Ephesians 2:14), yet you want to build walls. God's love is universal and extends to the entire world (John 3:16), yet you want to limit your love to only your nation or race in counter to God's command and warning in 1 John 4:7-8: "Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love."

Karl Barth stated, "God’s revelation in Christ is a universal message; any attempt to confine this message within national boundaries is a betrayal of its true nature." Similarly, Dietrich Bonhoeffer warned against the church aligning with nationalist ideologies, as it compromises its mission and witness.

You either prove that you know God by giving up the idols of nationalism and bigotry and start loving people no matter where they are, who they are or what color they are, or stop calling yourselves Christians. Nationalism is a war ideology. It stands in stark opposition to the message of peace and reconciliation that Christ preached. By embracing nationalism, you are not serving God but betraying Him and the principles of Christ. Embrace peace and love, or face the consequences of your own self destructive path

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
For quite some time I've believed that the essence of the BIble for those that aspire to be real Christians is found in the two "greatest" commandments and the Sermon on the Mount. We're all imperfect but to me what counts is setting those teachings as the goal and at least trying to take steps toward them.

For quite some time I've believed that the essence of the BIble for those that aspire to be real Christians is found in the two "greatest" commandments and the Sermon on the Mount. We're all imperfect but to me what counts is setting those teachings as the goal and at least trying to take steps toward them.
It's all about love not rules. It's about what is written in your heart not what is written in stone.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Christians keep chanting that their nation and their ideology are in adherence with God. "We are God's people," they say, "Gott mit uns." They should be ashamed. Nothing is more counter to the teachings of Christ than nationalism. National pride runs counter to the Christian humility that God requires from us all. God calls us to love our neighbors and be reconciled with them, while nationalism fosters division and hate. God called us to shun idolatry and worship God alone, yet nationalism places itself above God and the principles of Christ. You are worshipping an idol.

Gott mit uns. You use this phrase to justify a host of moral evils: slavery, colonialism, and the injustices of war and capitalism. You use it to suppress and destroy people who are created in the very image of God (Genesis 1:27), whom Christ called us to love and care for. Christianity is about emphasizing universal love and compassion for all people, as seen in Jesus’ command to "love your neighbor as yourself" (Mark 12:31) and his teaching to "love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you" (Matthew 5:44).

God plays no favorites (Acts 10:34-35) and will judge all nations equally, as it says in Isaiah 2:4: “He will judge between the nations and will settle disputes for many peoples. They will beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore.” God is no respecter of persons or of nations but views us all the same (Galatians 3:28). Christ broke down all the barriers that divide us (Ephesians 2:14), yet you want to build walls. God's love is universal and extends to the entire world (John 3:16), yet you want to limit your love to only your nation or race in counter to God's command and warning in 1 John 4:7-8: "Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love."

Karl Barth stated, "God’s revelation in Christ is a universal message; any attempt to confine this message within national boundaries is a betrayal of its true nature." Similarly, Dietrich Bonhoeffer warned against the church aligning with nationalist ideologies, as it compromises its mission and witness.

You either prove that you know God by giving up the idols of nationalism and bigotry and start loving people no matter where they are, who they are or what color they are, or stop calling yourselves Christians. Nationalism is a war ideology. It stands in stark opposition to the message of peace and reconciliation that Christ preached. By embracing nationalism, you are not serving God but betraying Him and the principles of Christ. Embrace peace and love, or face the consequences of your own self destructive path
All countries need work

Heyo

Veteran Member

Even though I'm on the other side of the belief spectrum. I appreciate this sermon. Peace and love are common goals (or should be) of believers and non-believers, and I could never talk to Christians in the way a Christian can.
Nationalism should not be a Christian ideal if this quote is correct:

Charles de Gaulle: 'Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.'​

....nationalism fosters division and hate....
I think going against nationalism is a form of hate, it goes against people having roots, heritage, traditions... ...it denies belonging from people and makes them homeless. It is interesting why communists are usually against nationalism. Perhaps it is the only way for them to become meaningful, when they try to remove national identities. Why do you think they hate so much other cultures that they try to remove them and replace other cultures with their own ideology?

I think God wanted different nations, for example because:

On account of this its name is called Babel, because Jehovah confused the language of all the earth there. And Jehovah scattered them abroad from there on the face of all the earth.
Gen. 11:9

It protects people from the tyranny of one world government.

I think going against nationalism is a form of hate, it goes against people having roots, heritage, traditions... ...it denies belonging from people and makes them homeless. It is interesting why communists are usually against nationalism. Perhaps it is the only way for them to become meaningful, when they try to remove national identities. Why do you think they hate so much other cultures that they try to remove them and replace other cultures with their own ideology?

I think God wanted different nations, for example because:

On account of this its name is called Babel, because Jehovah confused the language of all the earth there. And Jehovah scattered them abroad from there on the face of all the earth.
Gen. 11:9

It protects people from the tyranny of one world government.
The lesson in the Tower of Babel is not an endorsement of nationalist divisions but a story about punishment in response to human pride. National divisions is a punishment in the story akin to the Destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah.

God calls us to unity in Christ. It's the Mystery of the Cross and to deny the unity that God call us to is to deny Christ's sacrifice upon the Cross. Our political and social understanding should be based on Christ's sacrifice upon the cross alone, anything else is idolatry. Christ’s sacrifice on the cross was the ultimate act of love and reconciliation, breaking down the walls of hostility and division between people. As it says in Ephesians 2:14-16, “For he himself is our peace, who has made the two groups one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace, and in one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility.”

The ultimate message of Christ is love and unity. God loves us all regardless of artificial national boundaries. By embracing nationalism, we deny the universality of God’s love and the call to love our neighbors as ourselves. We should celebrate the unity in Christ of culturally diverse people like we are called to. This is not a form of hate but a higher call to transcend divisive ideologies and live out the true message of the Gospel. Matthew 28:19-20: "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

The ultimate message of Christ is love and unity. God loves us all regardless of artificial national boundaries. By embracing nationalism, we deny the universality of God’s love and the call to love our neighbors as ourselves. We should celebrate the unity in Christ of culturally diverse people like we are called to. This is not a form of hate but a higher call to transcend divisive ideologies and live out the true message of the Gospel. Matthew 28:19-20: "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
I agree that Jesus wants his disciples to be one. I have understood it means, they will have the same will with God. however, I don't think that means we must be identical, that we can't have different outlooks, habits and even borders. I think all nations, that are not evil, have right to exist and to have own way of life. And I think it is good that we have different nations, because monopoly is never good, especially in the case of earthly governments. But, as it is said in the Bible, one world government is the goal for certain people, and they will manage to establish that tyranny. And unfortunately it is like forging the "One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie".

This is why, I don't think nationalism is a problem. The problem is, if people don't love others as taught in the Bible.