• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great Somewhere Else

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Every single human being in the world at some time thinks that "if only" this or that one of our conditions could be met then we'd all be set. "If only I had a girlfriend/boyfriend/million bucks, then I'd be happy." Or in the case of the more spiritually minded: "If only I were enlightened, then that would settle everything once and for all." Think again.

An old Chinese Zen master once said, "From birth to death, it's just like this!"
We always want to believe that somewhere there's a perfect solution, if only we weren't barred from it. But that's not the reality.
We alaways imagine that there's got to be somewhere else better than where we are right now; this is the Great Somewhere Else we all carry around in our heads. We believe Somewhere Else is out there for us if only we could find it. But there's no Somewhere Else. Everything is right here.
The above quote is from Brad Warner. So my question is, what makes up your Great Somewhere Else? (in part or in detail)

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
My Great Somewhere else is a small cabin in the forest I grew up in.

(With multiple, other tangled details to come later!)

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Is is possible that having "Great Somewhere Elses" is actually the very construct that stands between one and the Great Somewhere Else?

Ciscokid

The above quote is from Brad Warner. So my question is, what makes up your Great Somewhere Else? (in part or in detail)

I am very happy where I am in life so I kind of feel all set. Buuuut I would be very excited to have a job traveling to exotic places and rating the women!!

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I have always made home where ever I was.

All except my last job I have always found work where I had chosen to live.
In the last one it worked out very well as well. Sadleworth is beautiful.

The west coast of Ireland is probably the nicest place I have ever been... may be because there is no work there.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
doppelgänger;861019 said:
Is is possible that having "Great Somewhere Elses" is actually the very construct that stands between one and the Great Somewhere Else?

Not only do I agree, but I think that (most of the time) the "Great somewhere else" would be a great disappointment if you did achive it. The old maxim about the grass being greener on the other side of the fence is so true.

More often thatn not, the most enjoyable part of a goal is the journey towards that goal ; the goal itself can be a bit of a let down.

My dear ,other always told me "Nothing in life will ever be as good as you expect it to be, nor will it ever be as bad".....there is a lot of truth there.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
That is why you should be happy where ever you are, someday never comes. Not at least in this world.

my Great Somewhere Else is right here too -- i have everything i need to be happy -- life is too short -- i have wasted so long being unhappy that i am not going to miss out on my life anymore