• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Green tea and coffee

Balthazzar

N. Germanic Descent
Would green tea and coffee grounds be compatible with coco coir as a natural plant nutrient/fertilizer? I've read about making liquid fertilizers from green tea, but I thought I'd try adding dry leaves to my coco coir substrate to help stimulate growth. The coffee grounds should work well enough for adding nitrogen, and I would think the green tea would offer enough of the other needed nutrients to get them off to a good start. The diet will likely change when it comes time to transplant, but I'm hoping this will work well for the new sprouts. Decaf coffee and regular green tea is what I have in mind.

I'm growing peach tree's from seed and intend to plant the seedlings in this type of substrate mix.

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know much about gardening, but my sister says pouring spoiled milk on new plants helps them grow.

Balthazzar

N. Germanic Descent
I've heard guano and chicken poo, and rotten fish and cow manure, does too. I'm approaching this effort differently than some. For some reason coffee and green tea appeal more to my nasal pallet than other types of organic fertilizers. These will be grown inside until next spring, so ... Maybe someone will offer more insight than what I have already gathered myself.

Would green tea and coffee grounds be compatible with coco coir as a natural plant nutrient/fertilizer? I've read about making liquid fertilizers from green tea, but I thought I'd try adding dry leaves to my coco coir substrate to help stimulate growth. The coffee grounds should work well enough for adding nitrogen, and I would think the green tea would offer enough of the other needed nutrients to get them off to a good start Espresso. The diet will likely change when it comes time to transplant, but I'm hoping this will work well for the new sprouts. Decaf coffee and regular green tea is what I have in mind.

I'm growing peach tree's from seed and intend to plant the seedlings in this type of substrate mix.
I was just wondering if anyone else has experience of drinking green tea and feeling better for it. I drink it mostly when I get a tired/ thick head feeling and find 20 mins later I feel so much better.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
There could be small quantities of glyphosate in tea, and you don't want this near tree seedlings. The product is called roundup and sometimes gets onto tea leaves and can become concentrated in the tea. Its bad for seedlings and humans. I don't know (and probably no one knows) if your particular tea has glyphosate in it or how much. Here's a page on a testing lab company's site:
Code:
https://www.eurofins.in/food-testing/blog/glyphosate-in-tea/

According to Canadian Broadcasting Corp. teas they found (in 2014) to have glyphosate in them: Twinings, Tetley, Lipton, Celestial Seasonings and Tazo. Link is below:
Code:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/pesticide-traces-in-some-tea-exceed-allowable-limits-1.2564624

wellwisher

Would green tea and coffee grounds be compatible with coco coir as a natural plant nutrient/fertilizer? I've read about making liquid fertilizers from green tea, but I thought I'd try adding dry leaves to my coco coir substrate to help stimulate growth. The coffee grounds should work well enough for adding nitrogen, and I would think the green tea would offer enough of the other needed nutrients to get them off to a good start. The diet will likely change when it comes time to transplant, but I'm hoping this will work well for the new sprouts. Decaf coffee and regular green tea is what I have in mind.

I used to compost table scraps with a little worm farm. I would add coffee grounds, tea leaves, about 50% paper from a paper shredder; dry ingredient, old vegetables, banana peels, egg shells, old pasta, and all forms of veggie kitchen scraps; but not meat, to my little worm farm and then allow the worms to eat and compose. There is no smell.

You use their droppings, called worm castings, as black gold bioactive fertilizer. The little spout at the bottom allows you to get a liquid version of this fertilizer from excess water that come from the scraps after they are processed You can add old fruits but that tends to attract fruit flies, which is not a big deal if you are outside. Meat products can be used by that attract flies. Just add some red worms and they multiply, feed, and poop gold.

As a level of the worm farm gets filled with scraps, you add another level. The worms wiggle through the holes between levels and eat upwards. Their droppings/fertilizer not only have diverse nutrient and mineral for plants but the bacteria in their poop, makes the soil bioactive, which helps to break down organic materials already in the soil, making it easier for the plants to digest. One add some compose and extra worms to flower pots and have a live bio-active feeding station for each tree. You can even recycle the tree leaves for worm food.

worm-factory.jpg
compost3-300x300.jpg

Balthazzar

N. Germanic Descent
I went the route I originally intended. I've gotten my substrate at 7 ph, which is optimal for peaches. I ended using cuttlebone for a source of calcium, utilized crushed limestone from the parking lot to increase my ph, and I did use the green tea and decaf coffee. Tea, coco coir ratio ended up being about a 1: 5-7. 1- tea - 5-7 coco coir with a little decaf coffee grounds mixed in. I'll add more around the base later for nitrogen if needed. Green tea is said to be between 7-10 alkaline but my meter didn't read it that high, which is why I opted to add the lime. At the moment everything is on spot. I'll do a green tea liquid food application maybe once - twice a month. Maybe a 50/50 dilution. I haven't decided yet. Ratio is subject to change. Green tea leaves will be added on top as I brew. When it decomposes it releases quite a few vital nutrients and it makes a fantastic glass of sweet tea (chilled) prior to using in the grow.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I was just wondering if anyone else has experience of drinking green tea and feeling better for it. I drink it mostly when I get a tired/ thick head feeling and find 20 mins later I feel so much better.
I can't drink green tea - it really makes me feel queasy.

Betho_br

I've heard guano and chicken poo, and rotten fish and cow manure, does too. I'm approaching this effort differently than some. For some reason coffee and green tea appeal more to my nasal pallet than other types of organic fertilizers. These will be grown inside until next spring, so ... Maybe someone will offer more insight than what I have already gathered myself.
Birds (chickens and pigeons) do not produce urine; they eliminate it along with their feces, which is why their manure is richer in nitrogen.

Betho_br

It is an excellent regulator of the Cycladian rhythm. You are correct, but it doesn't always work.

Kathryn

It is an excellent regulator of the Cycladian rhythm. You are correct, but it doesn't always work.
I can't get past the whole sour stomach thing myself. No other color but green tea affects me that way.

Betho_br

I can't get past the whole sour stomach thing myself. No other color but green tea affects me that way.
Foods trigger many symptoms in our bodies, serving as warnings that our body gives us. When this happens to me, I usually try to understand the entire process. Have you ever tried altering the times at which you consume them? Consider switching brands and production locations as well. Green tea can sometimes be a trigger for migraines. The tannins in green tea are known to irritate the mucous lining of the stomach and colon, especially if the tea has been steeped for too long. One solution is to steep it quickly unless it is pre-packaged and ready to drink. Try this.

Kathryn

Foods trigger many symptoms in our bodies, serving as warnings that our body gives us. When this happens to me, I usually try to understand the entire process. Have you ever tried altering the times at which you consume them? Consider switching brands and production locations as well. Green tea can sometimes be a trigger for migraines. The tannins in green tea are known to irritate the mucous lining of the stomach and colon, especially if the tea has been steeped for too long. One solution is to steep it quickly unless it is pre-packaged and ready to drink. Try this.
I have tried alternating the times, and it doesn't seem as bad if I don't drink green tea on an empty stomach, though it still messes me up a bit. I have tried many different brands to no avail. I only steep it as long as the packaging says to do. I think I am just destined to have a hard time with green tea. Ironically, I do not seem to have that problem with frozen or cold matcha teas. Weird! Maybe it's because the frozen or cold ones are mixed with oat milk, who knows...