• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greetings exchanged between Muslim & non-Muslim

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Daggumit, Dallas.

I never had a person do that to me. The trick is to do it fast.

When someone says hello to me and I don't appreciate it, I say "Shut yer ***" :p And I've never been kicked.

So I can say "shut the ***** up" if someone is rude enough to say "hi" to me?..

What do I do if they try and shake my hand or something??? Or even WORSE say "hi ..how are you" WHILE shaking my hand at the same exact time?

Is it "appropriate" to break their wrist??? While saying 'shut the *** up you have some nerve to say that to me and to TOUCH my private parts?

Love

Dallas

Last edited:

Sahar

I have no reason to greet a non Muslim with "assalamu alaykum" the greeting of Islam.

Hi or hello works well.

.lava

Veteran Member
I have no reason to greet a non Muslim with "assalamu alaykum" the greeting of Islam.

Hi or hello works well.

i salud people as the way they can understand and respond. i think saying 'Aleykum Selam' to a non-muslim actually might look like as if i am forcing him to respond with 'Ve Aleykum Selam'. because that's the only acceptable respond to Aleykum Selam.

Sahar

i salud people as the way they can understand and respond. i think saying 'Aleykum Selam' to a non-muslim actually might look like as if i am forcing him to respond with 'Ve Aleykum Selam'. because that's the only acceptable respond to Aleykum Selam.

Yes many won't like it or even get offended. But if a non-Muslim greeted me with salamu alaikum I would respond as Islam taught me. :)

.lava

Veteran Member
That's why i didn't like that article Ringer, and i feel sad that it was written by a Muslim who appear to be an imam or something. What you read there is not true and have no basis in islam. He quoted some true hadiths but then he interpreted it on his own way, added his own view using these hadiths as a false backup. I think the part you mentioned especially was really ridiculous, and i assure you, it's not islamic.

I also hope that you already read my previous post which raised the greeting issue in islamic history in the first place.

mischief makers are very creative when it comes to divide people. this kind of stuff is always abused to insult Islam and make Muslims look like an alien. i actually like to say 'hi' to most of non-Muslims. that does not mean i don't wish peace for them. discrimination has no place in Islam. its place is within hearts of men. as long as they see duality in this world as they see Muslim and non-Muslim, even they could not experience peace within themselves. loving people is loving God. period.

.lava

Veteran Member
Yes many won't like it or even get offended. But if a non-Muslim greeted me with salamu alaikum I would respond as Islam taught me. :)

exactly! i have non-muslim friends, guests sometimes. just because i have habit to welcome with 'Selam', many times i had to hold myself back, because they don't really have to respond it. and maybe they could not even if they want to. they are friends. if they chose they can say it and i would respond. but other than that, i don't want to make them feel they are under pressure. that's very simple, i think. not that i discriminate them or anything.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
exactly! i have non-muslim friends, guests sometimes. just because i have habit to welcome with 'Selam', many times i had to hold myself back, because they don't really have to respond it. and maybe they could not even if they want to. they are friends. if they chose they can say it and i would respond. but other than that, i don't want to make them feel they are under pressure. that's very simple, i think. not that i discriminate them or anything.

The same here. I used to say salam alikum of course everyday to my muslim brothers and sisters, and i remember one day that i said so to a non-muslim friend of mine and he didn't respond even though he knows how muslims respond, so i became carful after that and just used to say hi or hello to him.

But i also met others who would love to exchange salam with me.

A

angellous_evangellous

So I can say "shut the ***** up" if someone is rude enough to say "hi" to me?..

What do I do if they try and shake my hand or something??? Or even WORSE say "hi ..how are you" WHILE shaking my hand at the same exact time?

Is it "appropriate" to break their wrist??? While saying 'shut the *** up you have some nerve to say that to me and to TOUCH my private parts?

Love

Dallas

Dang, Dallas, you put way too much thought into this. :D

tariqkhwaja

Jihad Against Terrorism
Assalamualaikum Everyone.

It is very commonly believed among many Muslims (and I won't say mainstream as I am not sure) that telling "Assalamualaikum" (peace be upon you) to our non-Muslim brethren is wrong. Or that if a non-Muslim says Assalamualaikum one should reply with "Walaikum" only instead of the usual "WalaikumAssalam" or any of its longer versions.

I know of a Quranic verse countering the claim.

The above is a copy paste of a post I made elsewhere but I was directed here by Tashan (thanks).

Frankly it amazes me why:
1. Some Muslims differentiate between Muslims and Non-Muslims in this
2. Other Muslims don't differentiate but feel shy

To the first batch it is sad anyone would say that and very naive.
To the second batch with all the "terror" being associated with Islam it would make a whole lot of sense to give a greeting of peace to your non-Muslim brethrens as much as Muslim brethren. Furthermore, it would make sense that the non-Muslim brethren need more Salaam ... or should I say Islam. It is also a way of letting people know that Muslims exchange greetings and prayers of peace by habit. There are many more advantages many of which we don't know.

Especially among Westerners I have noticed that telling them Assalamualaikum:
1. Raises their curiosity about what I said.
2. Makes them want to learn the reply and pronounce it properly.

I have said Assalamualaikum to so many westerners and non-Muslims in general and can not think of even one who got offended. If anything I know some Muslims who'd (very unfortunately) rather say "hi" instead of replying by saying WalaikumAssalam. And it is Muslims, unfortunately, and not non-Muslims who sometimes laugh at me for my overuse of the greeting.