• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gyms: You Are Supposed To Sweat!!!

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
Countless times I have seen people come to the gym, hang around for an hour or so, and then leave having never broken a sweat. If you are not sweating, you are not working out. I am going to blast both genders with this post...

Women: do not come to the gym with your hair fixed and makeup painted on your face. If you are one of these women, stop right now. You are not working out. Chances are, you view the gym as a place for a social gathering. You do not put in the hard work to make positive changes to your body. I see women at the gym who have been going for years and their bodies have not changed for the better. That is because they do not give it any effort...and they stink the place up with their mix of perfume, body lotion and hairspray. Oh, and don't let one of the neanderthals below "train" you...chances are they want you to mimic their routine which is complete BS. The female body has different needs.

Men: if your idea of working out is to jump on an exercise, crank out 10 reps with a 1 second pace between each rep, and you never slow down, you are doing it wrong. Your final reps should be a struggle, otherwise you are going too light (which is why you never get any bigger). Chances are, you are the person that gets done, jumps up, gives high fives to your fellow neanderthals, flexes in the mirror and then walks around for 5 minutes ogling the women listed above. Science has already shown that a 3-1-3 count is far superior than your rat race pace that you usually crank out, not to mention to limit your rest period to no more than 2 minutes between sets. Get a damn clue.

Gyms...you are supposed to be sore, you are supposed to sweat, you are supposed to be breathing heavy.

Last edited:

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Lol such a weird thing to get all bent out of shape about. You can tone without breaking a sweat btw

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Hey man, you know, you should be grateful for all the people just going through the motions, and all the people hogging the equipment just so they can talk on their cellphones, etc., etc. . .

Annoying as all of those people can be, if the only people who ever joined a gym were people who were serious about getting in shape, your club would have to charge 5 times as much as they do just to stay in business.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
Hey man, you know, you should be grateful for all the people just going through the motions, and all the people hogging the equipment just so they can talk on their cellphones, etc., etc. . .

Annoying as all of those people can be, if the only people who ever joined a gym were people who were serious about getting in shape, your club would have to charge 5 times as much as they do just to stay in business.

My gym is about 70% dedicated exercise enthusiasts and 30% socialites. Fortunately the socialites usually just go hover around some machine equipment and don't really get in the way of the free weights and cables. Except for the hair spray women who jump on a stair climber and casually move their legs up and down, while chatting about The View.

VioletVortex

Lol such a weird thing to get all bent out of shape about. You can tone without breaking a sweat btw

Yes, that is true, sweating is not an essential element of reaping the benefits of weight lifting. However, he is speaking metaphorically. There are many people who "excersize" in a half assed manner just so they can get an ego boost, because they "feel better about themselves" when they try to lose weight or gain muscle.

I don't sweat when I work out unless it's hot in the house.

People think that they can get successful results from doing 4 reps of curls with a 30 pound dumbbell. That's not the case. For heavy lifting, you need to use an amount of weight that is light enough to allow you to do at least 8 reps, but heavy enough to make you fail before 20 reps.

Then, on the other end of the spectrum, there are those (mainly women) who think they can become more "fit" by curling 5 pounds for 50 reps. That is done in feeder workouts, and it's a very effective means of increasing bloodflow and elimimating fat (making veins and definition more prominent), but it should not constitute the whole of one's workout routine. It's great for beginners, but in order to achieve significant muscle growth, one must progress in the amount of weight they lift.

Yehet

Countless times I have seen people come to the gym, hang around for an hour or so, and then leave having never broken a sweat. If you are not sweating, you are not working out. I am going to blast both genders with this post...

Women: do not come to the gym with your hair fixed and makeup painted on your face. If you are one of these women, stop right now. You are not working out. Chances are, you view the gym as a place for a social gathering. You do not put in the hard work to make positive changes to your body. I see women at the gym who have been going for years and their bodies have not changed for the better. That is because they do not give it any effort...and they stink the place up with their mix of perfume, body lotion and hairspray. Oh, and don't let one of the neanderthals below "train" you...chances are they want you to mimic their routine which is complete BS. The female body has different needs.

Men: if your idea of working out is to jump on an exercise, crank out 10 reps with a 1 second pace between each rep, and you never slow down, you are doing it wrong. Your final reps should be a struggle, otherwise you are going too light (which is why you never get any bigger). Chances are, you are the person that gets done, jumps up, gives high fives to your fellow neanderthals, flexes in the mirror and then walks around for 5 minutes ogling the women listed above. Science has already shown that a 3-1-3 count is far superior than your rat race pace that you usually crank out, not to mention to limit your rest period to no more than 2 minutes between sets. Get a damn clue.

Gyms...you are supposed to be sore, you are supposed to sweat, you are supposed to be breathing heavy.

Okay first of all, when you're at the gym, you're not meant to critise people's athletic ability and their body progression at the gym. If you're at the gym the only time you should look at other people is for motivation, or look at them in a positive manner or keep your eyes to yourself :) Secondly, women putting on make up to the gym? Like who tf cares? Maybe they want to, make up doesn't hinder the way you do your stuff at the gym? Maybe than ridiculing people at the gym and feeding to the negative social stigma's, how about you be more supportive that these people are actually trying to work out, or maybe are gyming wrong? Or maybe you should enlighten them to some useful tips you have? Stop making the gym into a judgmental place. Everyone's bodies are different, stop body shaming :)

VioletVortex

Okay first of all, when you're at the gym, you're not meant to critise people's athletic ability and their body progression at the gym. If you're at the gym the only time you should look at other people is for motivation, or look at them in a positive manner or keep your eyes to yourself :) Secondly, women putting on make up to the gym? Like who tf cares? Maybe they want to, make up doesn't hinder the way you do your stuff at the gym? Maybe than ridiculing people at the gym and feeding to the negative social stigma's, how about you be more supportive that these people are actually trying to work out, or maybe are gyming wrong? Or maybe you should enlighten them to some useful tips you have? Stop making the gym into a judgmental place. Everyone's bodies are different, stop body shaming :)

Everyone's bodies are different, but guess what? The size, shape, and muscle/fat ratio is very important to one's health. Fat people who weigh 400 pounds with little muscular support generally shrink rapidly in height and die at 50.

One can't help but judge someone who is stupid enough to pay for a gym membership, and then spend their entire time at the gym yacking on their phone and with others.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Ha ha!
But..... If you owned the gym you love em all, cos they are paying! :)
I visited our health centre every morning for six months jan-June this year, walking 1K, running, 1K, stretches and Swimming 1K each morning.
The serious folks were amazing, but I noticed that there was an element of superiority about many of them which I thought was sad.
In Juky, instead of buying another six month ticket on the HS I spent the money on a new mountain bike. Every morning 6am I ride into the woods for miles, exploring and working hard, and when I get home my clothes are soaked in that sweat! Gyms are fine, but an all terrain bike and wooded Jill's is the biz!

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls

I feel tired just reading this. :p

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
In Juky, instead of buying another six month ticket on the HS I spent the money on a new mountain bike. Every morning 6am I ride into the woods for miles, exploring and working hard, and when I get home my clothes are soaked in that sweat! Gyms are fine, but an all terrain bike and wooded Jill's is the biz!

Good stuff, better than exercise bikes in a gym, plenty of fresh air, and nature too, squirrels dropping nuts on your head and stuff - I hope you wear a cycle helmet!

I go for a 4 mile walk every morning, some of it by the sea ( but not in it ).

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
What a nasty thread, full of ugliness. Work out all you want, it doesn't make you more beautiful inside, as this thread attests.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Good stuff, better than exercise bikes in a gym, plenty of fresh air, and nature too, squirrels dropping nuts on your head and stuff - I hope you wear a cycle helmet!

I go for a 4 mile walk every morning, some of it by the sea ( but not in it ).
Excellent... that walk by the sea. East side or West? Atlantic or Irish?
I live by the Outer Thanes Estuary/North Sea.

Yeah, I do wear a helmet, and have fixed extra front and rear lights to it so that I really need to wear it.
When it gets colder I will wear it for warmth.

Cycling can be quite quiet and I come across Foxes, Raptors, etc suddenly...... So far I have not missed a morning but when it does storm and rain horribly I will go swim a couple of Ks instead at the heated pool! :p