• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Indigenous Remerberance Day

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Hollywood's depiction leaves out many peoples just here in America. Share something about your Indigenous ancestors or your home's originals.
This is a Powhatan and probably much closer to the Chowanoc of my home and heritage than what is used for regala in celebration today.
Screenshot_20241014_110025_Facebook.jpg

libre

Skylark
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm a Me'tis [Amerindian & European mix}.
I understand that there are two meanings of this word, are you the former or the latter?

Within non-Indigenous society, there are two competing ideas of what being Métis means. The first, when spelled with a lowercase “m” (métis), means individuals or people having mixed-race parents and ancestries, e.g., North American Indigenous and European/Euro-Canadian/Euro-American. It is a racial categorization. This is the oldest meaning of Métis and is based on the French verb métisser, to mix races or ethnicities. The related noun for the act of race-mixing is métissage. The second meaning of being Métis, and the one that is embraced by the Métis Nation, relates to a self-defining people with a distinct history in a specific region (Western Canada’s prairies) with some spillover into British Columbia, Ontario, North Dakota, Montana and Northwest Territories. In this case, the term Métis is spelled with an uppercase “M” and often, but does not always, contain an accent aigu (é).
-Indigenous Peoples Atlas of Canada Identity

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
We, my father's side, can trace some of our lineage to the Hathawekala Shawnee and likely from either the Overhill or Lower/Chickamauga Cherokee. None of us have come forward to the Shawnee or Cherokee nations as of yet, however. We'd need more testing, research and documentation (it's exhausting sometimes). The lineage is so far back and began diminishing in the early to mid 1800s. Even by then there had been mixing with settlers and even with fugitive slaves/freedmen. It's almost as a shot glass in a gallon by now.

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
Hollywood's depiction leaves out many peoples just here in America. Share something about your Indigenous ancestors or your home's originals.
This is a Powhatan and probably much closer to the Chowanoc of my home and heritage than what is used for regala in celebration today.View attachment 98433

Where I lived for many years, though I am still in the same state (PA), the indigenous people there were:

The white people here forced them out of their home/ hunting grounds and they ended up as part of the Iroquois confederacy.

I find it shocking how we treated these children of God, our brothers and sisters.

Viker

I think I have mentioned it before. One of my semi-famous native ancestors, father's side, killed another semi-famous settler, mother's side, in battle during conflicts of the early 1800s.

But, quite a few of my known native ancestry was relocated a few years later. So I suppose the ancestry on my mother's side "got their revenge" somehow.

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
I think I have mentioned it before. One of my semi-famous native ancestors, father's side, killed another semi-famous settler, mother's side, in battle during conflicts of the early 1800s.

Do you know what led to the killing? Probably 'property rights'?

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
Personally, I believe the world began around 1979 but I do respect the memories of people regarding sad situations such as what happened to the natives of America. I do have a little bit of Native American blood in my history. I’m not really sure which tribes though.

Viker

Do you know what led to the killing? Probably 'property rights'?
That would be the main issue. Territorial dispute. Many of the Shawnee and Cherokee didn't sign off on the expansion from the Transylvania Company. When it came to crossing the Kentucky river moving westward, it was perceived that was still mostly Indian territory.

Viker

When I die I will appear on earth around 1979 when I’m 5 yrs old. All of existence rises and falls with my birth and death in an endless cycle.
I was either finishing 3rd grade, taking a classic summer break or starting 4th grade when you were born. The world began in January, 1970 dammit!

(Actually. I wasn't cognizant until somewhere around 1974. That may be when the world began.)

Jimmy

King Phenomenon
I was either finishing 3rd grade, taking a classic summer break or starting 4th grade when you were born. The world began in January, 1970 dammit!

(Actually. I wasn't cognizant until somewhere around 1974. That may be when the world began.)
Maybe it will begin when Jesus comes back with a new earth and heaven and judges everyone. Wink wink. Or when, according to Muslims, all the dead will be resurrected. Wink wink, or perhaps when Vishnu returns and destroys all evil. Or maybe, according to some Buddhists, after this world is destroyed by seven suns. Or maybe one of the cyclic views of many spiritual practices.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Do you know the American Nation or Tribe?

Mine is Chowanoc of the Algonquian. My children's father is Tuscarora of the Iroquois. The tribes were neighbors when the English settled.

Potawatomi [Algonquin] and one [or more] of the Iroquois tribes in Quebec. With the latter, there's a large reservation about an hour's drive north of Hull but it contains several tribes, so we don't know which one or more that side came from as my great grandfather lived just off the reservation thus was likely married to a white, which was not at all unusual. When he moved to Michigan, he married another Indian to help him as a trapper & trader on the mainland just adjacent to Belle Isle in now what is part of Detroit.

Thanks for your reply as that's fascinating to me as well.

Spice

We, my father's side, can trace some of our lineage to the Hathawekala Shawnee and likely from either the Overhill or Lower/Chickamauga Cherokee. None of us have come forward to the Shawnee or Cherokee nations as of yet, however. We'd need more testing, research and documentation (it's exhausting sometimes). The lineage is so far back and began diminishing in the early to mid 1800s. Even by then there had been mixing with settlers and even with fugitive slaves/freedmen. It's almost as a shot glass in a gallon by now.
I have the same issues in my ancestry. The Chowanoc is known more through the history of my paternal grandmother's surname along with the documentation of that English settler, but it's a well documented connection to the Chowanoc and the once established reservation that coincides with the Tuscaroran Wars.

My African ancestry is a bigger mystery, though the DNA match is only 5 generations back.

Spice

I have the same issues in my ancestry. The Chowanoc is known more through the history of my paternal grandmother's surname along with the documentation of that English settler, but it's a well documented connection to the Chowanoc and the once established reservation that coincides with the Tuscaroran Wars.

My African ancestry is a bigger mystery, though the DNA match is only 5 generations back.