• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harm none and vegetarianism...

So I was thinking about this a lot recently...

Can one truly follow the wiccan rede while eating meat? Surely in a nature based religion such as this, we should consider the impact of meat production on the earth as well as the obvious cruelty of the meat industry at the moment...

Does anyone feel particularly strongly about this, in either respect?

Also, I should probably mention that I'm a newly reformed vegan, but I'll try really really really hard not to go all animal liberation on yo' asses :angel2:
x.S.x

Plants cannot suffer, cannot experience pain or fear, cannot anticipate futurity.

Fair enough... but there are plants that emit certain chemicals to ward off insects from eating them. I'm just saying that I believe that Lifeforce is in everything and that would obviously include plants. So, if its killing that people are trying to avoid by being vegetarian/vegan, are they really doing that by just eating plants instead of animals?

Like I said, I'm just curious how people view this. I definitely understand not wanting to harm animals, but isn't it still killing when you pick some greens to make your salad? I don't wish to offend anyone. I just want to see different view points.

A

angellous_evangellous

***MOD ADVISORY***

If you don't consider yourself a Wiccan, please limit your posts in this discussion forum to polite questions only.

Thanks

Lehnah

Master of the Mystic Arts
I'm new to Wicca and I love a good steak. Personally I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I can't speak to other countries but in Australia the meat industry treats the animals in a very humanitarian way before killing them. They basically put the animal to sleep and it feels nothing.

My view is that meat is of animals, which is of the Earth. We, too are of the Earth. When we consume meat it is making us stronger and helping us to grow, so I view it as the Earth feeding itself. Animals feed on plans and seeds before this, and those plants feed on the nutrients in the soil so it is a cycle of the Earth feeding and growing and strengthening itself.

No sure if I wrote that too clearly, but hopefully you'll get the point.:D

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I can't speak to other countries but in Australia the mean industry treats the animals in a very humanitarian way before killing them. They basically put the animal to sleep and it feels nothing.
I didn't know that! That's awesome!

Lehnah

Master of the Mystic Arts
I didn't know that! That's awesome!

Yeah, my uncle worked as a meat inspector at the slaughter house for many years so I know a little about it. We'd often ask about his work when he/we visited.

Oh, and i meant "MEAT industry", not "mean". :rolleyes: I've edited my first post.