• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has America not become the very things our Founders detested?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Our founders detested big government, and the government constantly running our lives like they've done of late with things like the Patriot Act.

Our founders detested the idea that our nation should ever be built on war and a party system where all the power belongs to exclusive parties.

Our founders detested the idea that the people should ever be detoured from making a living for themselves and having businesses, yet the corporations grow larger and larger, while we grow poorer and poorer.

Unless you're wondering the point of this- in what way hasn't America become what our founders detested and hated?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Our founders detested big government, and the government constantly running our lives like they've done of late with things like the Patriot Act.

Our founders detested the idea that our nation should ever be built on war and a party system where all the power belongs to exclusive parties.

Our founders detested the idea that the people should ever be detoured from making a living for themselves and having businesses, yet the corporations grow larger and larger, while we grow poorer and poorer.

Unless you're wondering the point of this- in what way hasn't America become what our founders detested and hated?
How do you know our founders detested these ideas? I mean, for one, our country was founded on war. And really since when did the parties become exclusive? I can join either one, and participate as much as I feel like. I can even run for government if I want, and I don't have to be part of either party. And if I had enough money, I could potentially win.

And how are people being detoured from making a living and having businesses? I own my own business. My mom runs a business. I've never been detoured away.

I think you need to first show that the founding fathers detested what you said, and then show why what is going on now is what they detested.

TJ73

How do you know our founders detested these ideas? I mean, for one, our country was founded on war. And really since when did the parties become exclusive? I can join either one, and participate as much as I feel like. I can even run for government if I want, and I don't have to be part of either party. And if I had enough money, I could potentially win.

And how are people being detoured from making a living and having businesses? I own my own business. My mom runs a business. I've never been detoured away.

I think you need to first show that the founding fathers detested what you said, and then show why what is going on now is what they detested.

I can see the point of the OP in that, there is very little potential for anything outside of two very strong parties. You lose the chance at anything different or innovative because the parties are set in their ways. If you try to vote for something else you lose your vote all together.
I have a business too and with all the incentive and benefit and monetary control of large businesses, I again lose my vote. The government has so many hands in my pot it does take a toll.
But all in all I guess you gotta take the good with the bad.

A

angellous_evangellous

Just one point: were the founding fathers pleased with the application of their ideals in their own time?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
While I see Proud's point... the Founding Fathers are over-rated. They were not perfect. Heck, they were freaking slave-owners.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life

The founders talked a big word, but they established a country that could and would be run by the people. That is what they want. They wanted a nation the people could mold. If the people want to give up their rights, then the founders would have little problem with it. If they wanted the nation to stay the same, they wouldn't have included ways to change it.

And as far as the founders are concerned, if we're really that upset we should revolt. After all, that's what they did.

TJ73

Revolt... But that is the problem with enormous government. It's like telling Walmart to make good or your not shopping there anymore. Who cares, We're bigger than you. But OTOH, this is part of being 300 million to govern.

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
Our Forefathers detested England, and the U.S. is not England. So I say no! :)

Now in reality, I do think we have too much government. Just a little

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
While I see Proud's point... the Founding Fathers are over-rated. They were not perfect. Heck, they were freaking slave-owners.
There is another way to view them. The fruit of their efforts was great in spite of their many imperfections.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I can see the point of the OP in that, there is very little potential for anything outside of two very strong parties. You lose the chance at anything different or innovative because the parties are set in their ways. If you try to vote for something else you lose your vote all together.
I have a business too and with all the incentive and benefit and monetary control of large businesses, I again lose my vote. The government has so many hands in my pot it does take a toll.
But all in all I guess you gotta take the good with the bad.
I don't think it would be too inconceivable though for say an Independent or the like to actually win a major election. Especially once we get down to a local level, the options are more open.

I think it would be interesting to get an Independent, who was well informed, and a good politician, to get the needed financial backing, and see how well they do in a presidential election. I think as long as they had a talented manager, and the finances, they would have an equal chance of winning.

But yes, I do agree that we do have two strong parties and anything outside those are iffy. But I don't think those parties are grounded too deeply.

Levite

Higher and Higher

I agree with the spirit of what you're saying, but I think that in all fairness, it's awfully hard to paint a convincing portrait of what the founding fathers would have said of our society, simply because their world was so drastically different from ours.

Iceberg

Some of them might find it very strange to see a black president in the White house. Would any of them refuse to shake hands with president Obama?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Some of them might find it very strange to see a black president in the White house. Would any of them refuse to shake hands with president Obama?
I hope some would refuse. Who wants them to be perfect?
I like the idea that they created something greater than they were.