• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has any other God claimed to be the only God?

riot4j

This is the question I want answered. Why? Because if there is no other God who has claimed to be the only one apart from the God in the Bible, The God of Israel, whom also Moslems believe in, then I find that we could conclude that He is the only God as He says and that what he said is true.
Please be truthful in answering the question coz I need know this before I can proceed with my argument.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
riot4j said:
This is the question I want answered. Why? Because if there is no other God who has claimed to be the only one apart from the God in the Bible, The God of Israel, whom also Moslems believe in, then I find that we could conclude that He is the only God as He says and that what he said is true.
Please be truthful in answering the question coz I need know this before I can proceed with my argument.
To my knowledge, the God of the New Testament is the only god who has claimed to be the only god. This suggests to me that He is deluded, and hence the god of delussions.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I'm confused as to why him saying he was the only god would make it true... gods have said many things, but them simply saying it doesn't make it true.

Chimowowo

riot4j said:
...we could conclude that He is the only God as He says and that what he said is true...
My first problem here is that you can't conclude it's true just because he says it's true. I will ignore that though because I don't think that's as important.

I can not think of any other god saying he was the only god (maybe Vishnu?). However you seem to be ignoring all of the polytheistic religions that have multiple gods. Not everyone thinks there is one god.

And the more I think about it, the more your post doesn't make sense. Please clarify...
You ask if any other god says he is the only god...do you mean true god? because all/most gods in their own religions would be the true god...hence the worship. if you actually mean only god, then how do you respond to polytheism?

JerryL

Actually, if I was in the mood to infer, I would infer that the claim to be the only god would be an acknowledgement of other gods and therefore suspicious. The god that makes no mention of other gods at all (I am God), would seem more convincing.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
JerryL said:
Actually, if I was in the mood to infer, I would infer that the claim to be the only god would be an acknowledgement of other gods and therefore suspicious. The god that makes no mention of other gods at all (I am God), would seem more convincing.
Precisely! And that's why I think the god of the New Testament is in a state of denial about being the only god. He protests too much.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
riot4j said:
Because if there is no other God who has claimed to be the only one apart from the God in the Bible, The God of Israel, whom also Moslems believe in, then I find that we could conclude that He is the only God as He says and that what he said is true.

180px-Ipu.gif

if there is no other God who has claimed to be Pink and Horny
then I find that we could conclude that
The Invisible Pink Unicorn
is the only Unicorn as She says
and that what She said is true.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Sunstone said:
Precisely! And that's why I think the god of the New Testament is in a state of denial about being the only god. He protests too much.
Hey, we're not discussing Shakespeare here!:D

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Sunstone said:
To my knowledge, the God of the New Testament is the only god who has claimed to be the only god. This suggests to me that He is deluded, and hence the god of delussions.
Such a stament is either what Sunstone said or it could be true. :)

~Victor

Chimowowo

Jayhawker Soule said:

if there is no other God who has claimed to be Pink and Horny
then I find that we could conclude that
The Invisible Pink Unicorn
is the only Unicorn as She says
and that what She said is true.
If we are going to start just listening to whoever says they are god that's not a very good method. I think it should be more democratic. Maybe we can nominate and then vote? ;)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Victor said:
Huh? Did you mean request?

~Victor
As Michel noted, I was alluding to Shakespear. I meant the god of the New Testament claims so much to be the only god that it comes across as insecurity on His part. So, is He really sure He's the only god, or does He have a lurking suspicion that He might not be the only god?

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Chimowowo said:
If we are going to start just listening to whoever says they are god that's not a very good method. I think it should be more democratic. Maybe we can nominate and then vote? ;)

I'd like to nominate myself for consideration. I'd like to say, that as god, I will give all of my followers eternal life, peace and happiness. I will forgive sins as they happen and I'll destroy people with different beliefs. I'll make you successful and bring you beautiful women.

Chimowowo

Darkdale said:
I'd like to nominate myself for consideration. I'd like to say, that as good, I will give all of my followers eternal life, peace and happiness. I will forgive sins as they happen and I'll destroy people with different beliefs. I'll make you successful and bring you beautiful women.
cool. You got my vote. Can we get a second nominee. Want to stay democratic about god.

Arkangel

I am Darth Vader
You can nominate me second. I will bring peace, give you richness beyond your wildest dreams, make you immortal, and all the other blah, blah....

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Arkangel said:
You can nominate me second. I will bring peace, give you richness beyond your wildest dreams, make you immortal, and all the other blah, blah....

In my heaven, I give you 365 beautiful virgins, Samuel Adams flows eternal and you can see all the people who were evil and didn't agree with you burn in hell. on your local television stations.

Arkangel

I am Darth Vader
Darkdale said:
In my heaven, I give you 365 beautiful virgins, Samuel Adams flows eternal and you can see all the people who were evil and didn't agree with you burn in hell. on your local television stations.
In my heaven, I will give you all year round Oktoberfest, and all what darkdale gives, and your own universe to be God there. See I will make you God in a little universe of your own. Vote for me :jam: