• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has anyone read The Shack?

tomspug

Absorbant
I am currently going through this book. So far, it is very interesting, although I haven't actually gotten to the part with the shack yet... I'm still learning about what happened to Mack.

What do you think of this book? What did you enjoy/dislike about it?

blackout

Violet.
UGH.

I actually had to give up friends over that book
when I was still an out of church christian.

"the shack this" "the shack that"
It was like a cult following.

and I HATED the book.

But that does not really answer your question.

If you start up a convo on it...
I will hold my stomach...
and try to think back 2 years to why I hated it so much...

tomspug

Absorbant
UGH.

I actually had to give up friends over that book
when I was still an out of church christian.

"the shack this" "the shack that"
It was like a cult following.

and I HATED the book.

But that does not really answer your question.

If you start up a convo on it...
I will hold my stomach...
and try to think back 2 years to why I hated it so much...
I'm curious what about it would cause you to hate it. I don't mind if you share, although I haven't gotten into it really yet, so I would appreciate spoiler-free responses.

blackout

Violet.
I'm curious what about it would cause you to hate it. I don't mind if you share, although I haven't gotten into it really yet, so I would appreciate spoiler-free responses.

Nah. You finish the book. :cover:
And if you want to discuss it then,
I'll try and remember. :areyoucra

Against my better judgement. :p :D

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
If it's the book I think it is, I read it. It was OK but not my favorite religious book. I found it to be a bit sugar coated.

tomspug

Absorbant
OK, so I'm about halfway through...

Initial thoughts: I think that it's demonstration of the concept of the Trinity is astoundingly enlightening. The main character seems to ask exactly the questions that come to mind. It attempts to answer questions that I didn't know I held, and it does an admirable job at it.

I'm very curious about the whole thing, what it's conclusion will be, so I am sure that I will be through the book very soon. I think that this book definitely qualifies as a "must read", if not only for how daring the concept is. I never would have guessed how comfortable I would be with the idea of picturing God as a woman, let alone a large African-American woman...

cardero

Citizen Mod
A spiritual co-worker I haven't spoken to in years recently recommended this book to me. I did an Amazon search to try to get an idea about this book. It seems to be about a guy who has a discussion with GOD. It sounded extremely familiar to me.

tomspug

Absorbant
A spiritual co-worker I haven't spoken to in years recently recommended this book to me. I did an Amazon search to try to get an idea about this book. It seems to be about a guy who has a discussion with GOD. It sounded extremely familiar to me.
It's not like it's rewriting Christianity, but it kind of is, because it is more honest and real than most Christians would ever dare to be. I'm not saying the book is perfect, but it's extremely interesting for learning about Christianity, specifically...

bonrble

I'd recommend it to anyone. Author tackles issues I have long struggled with in a deep and thought provoking way. Isn't it everyone's fantasy to be able to ask God face to face to explain certain things.

Kay

Towards the Sun
I read The Shack when it first came out. Despite the mediocre writing and slow plot development, I really really liked it. I'll even admit that it made me cry. The author's interpretation of the Trinity was quite intriguing. I particularly loved the Holy Spirit.

Heck, I'd recommend the book just because I know how much some Christians hate it. It's worth 100 times its weight in gold for that reason alone. :D

bonrble

I thought he did a really good job discussing being angry with God, forgiveness, the trinity, the humanity of Jesus, and much more. Especially the power of love. Really made me think.

Big Mouth

I am part way through it right now. I am intrigued by the idea that independence hinders relationships and faith. I can see where it comes from, but honestly I think it strengthens them. When a person has independence, they have options. Then if they are in the relationship or participate in the religion, it's because they chose to, not because they have to, or have no other options.

OK. Finished. It's good.

What do other people think about it, so I can share my thoughts?
hi tomspug- i liked the book. have bought several copies and given them to friends as well as total strangers. i have a new revelation of what being a 'christian' means- for the last year or so i have been learning about grace (gods undeserved love and favor) and how it operates in a believers life. as i read the book it put a face on all the knowledge that was in my head. now i know its all about him- and nothing to do with me. before i focused on me (humanity) now i attempt to focus him and his life within me.

blackout

Violet.
Oh yes... it was actively encouraged that people buy extra copies of the book,
and give them away, if I recal even on the cover of the book,
because it was SO important that people read this book! lol.
(I'd check if I knew where my one and only copy ~that I paid for~ was)

And also because they wanted a movie made of it.

It had almost a cult following.
I really couldn't care less now,
but when I still considered mySelf a christian it really got on my nerves.

When you have had "a 'gOd' experience" for yourSelf,
you don't need books anyway. :shrug:
(of course I would now extend that to the bible as well)

Highly overated is about the nicest thing I can think to say about the shack.:confused:
EXCELLENT marketing scheme however. :bow:

Last edited: