• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you changed your beliefs since coming to RF?

Have you had a major belief system overhaul since coming to RF?

• Total voters

Fluffy

A fool
Man, I have no idea!

I guess I've never been sure enough in my religious "convictions" to see any change in them as a major over haul :).

sparc872

Wow! Lots of great responses! Thanks everyone, keep them coming in. It's nice to hear everybody's stories.

PHOTOTAKER

i joined rf cuz it looked interesting and i wanted to learn more about other religions... i beleive that if you don't do that then you fail at being human learn all that you can!!!!

sparc872

Sorry guys, I got to Mike with the karma and found out I can be too generous here. You will all have to wait for a day, your points are on their way though :)

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
MidnightBlue said:
I can identify with that. When I was Orthodox, I had this exchange at least once a month:

Some Evangelical: Orthodoxy seems a lot like paganism to me.

Me: I know; that's one of the reasons I like it better than Protestantism.

May ask outside of the Papacy why Roman Catholicism would be any different?

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
Yes, to a certain extent... (Though I'm not sure I'd call it a major change)

I feel that instead of 'changing' per se, my faith has been clarified and I'm now able, on a good day with a fair wind, to be aware of a greater sense of perspective about my spirituality. My core beliefs haven't really changed, but what was once a confusing morass is now; well, it's still confusing, but occasionally I get the sense that there is now an underlying harmony to it all, even if I can't see it right now.

One thing that has most certainly changed, and a large part of that is down to RF, is my view of other faiths. I never held an "us vs them" siege mentality, but I did used to see them as being very separate and distant from my own jumbled collection of feelings. Nowadays, I feel a far more (I can't think of a better way to put this) incestuous, or at least promiscuous, relationship betwixt them and I. I've been reconciled to such an extent that if I end up going to Uni, I'll almost certainly focus on something about early Christian theology or history, when even a few months ago I was feeling alienated by and even a little resentful of my parent's faith.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Well, I voted "yes", though I haven't undergone a total transformation from no God to God.

I came here as an evangelical atheist who hated religion and morphed into a Unitarian Universalist who identifies himself still as an atheist (when asked), but is on the fence when it comes to Eastern belief systems, and loves everyone for whatever religion they chose.

I'm also a Mohist, but that's more philosophical than religious.

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
I came to RF a Unitarian Universalist. Since that time, I've not changed my beliefs so much as enriched them, via my discovery of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).

ChrisP

Veteran Member
I came in wondering about the reasons of life... and now realise there are none besides the ones my parents taught me. Love. Compassion. Patience

The only addition is Simplicity.

Smoke

Done here.
Victor said:
May ask outside of the Papacy why Roman Catholicism would be any different?
Roman Catholicism is more logical and rationalistic than Orthodoxy. However, I would personally prefer RC worship and spirituality to any Protestant equivalent, with the possible exception of the Anglicans and the Lutherans. I very nearly converted to Catholicism in my very early twenties, but I went Anglican (at that time) instead.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
MidnightBlue said:
Roman Catholicism is more logical and rationalistic than Orthodoxy. However, I would personally prefer RC worship and spirituality to any Protestant equivalent, with the possible exception of the Anglicans and the Lutherans. I very nearly converted to Catholicism in my very early twenties, but I went Anglican (at that time) instead.

Impressive answer. Thanks...:)