• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you read your holy book

Have you read your holy book cover to cover

• Total voters

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Which book/books do you consider most important to your faith and use that as a guide.

I'll answer that as well. For me it's not the words but living them. I have a hard but fair test which is to compare my belief in love with how far from the mark I am in living that love in every word and deed. I don't need a book to tell me what to do any longer. As Meher Baba put it:

You have asked for and been given enough words — it is now time to live them. You have asked for and been given enough words — it is now…

Secret Chief

Degrow!
I'll answer that as well. For me it's not the words but living them. I have a hard but fair test which is to compare my belief in love with how far from the mark I am in living that love in every word and deed. I don't need a book to tell me what to do any longer. As Meher Baba put it:

You have asked for and been given enough words — it is now time to live them. You have asked for and been given enough words — it is now…
I do wonder about those who seem to think it important to engage in wars of words, using a quiver of quotes.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Done. Now twist the results to your evil ends. :D

Nothing nefarious involved, i originally wanted to know if my experience of Christians held across the board then decide that was unfair on other faiths.

BTW, i edited the OP. Maybe my initial vote no was wrong for you, have a rethink if you think its worth redoing

ChristineM

Premium Member

Ahh, so your faith is not a religion as such but a way of life. Fair enough

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Inspired by a conversation with @Mark Charles Compton about whether Christians actually read the bible.

@Mark Charles Compton suggests that in his experience the majority of Christians have read the entire bible though it may differ by denomination. While my view again based on experience is that very few Christians have actually read the bible and are satisfied with snippets handed to them, so long as those snippets.meet their expectations.

Here i am going to expand the idea across all religions. First I ask for a simple Yes/No answer to the questionnaire then add a quick post naming which of the Bible, Qur'an, Gita, Torah, Guru Granth Sahib, Tripitaka or other named holy book of your religion you have read cover to cover.

Edit for clarity.

Some faiths have more (many more) than one book, for these, full read of the book(s) you consider most important will suffice for a tes vote
No, I have not read everything that Baha'u'llah wrote, as there are 15,000 Tablets that survived, and only about 15% of them have been translated into English. I have not even read everything that has been translated from Persian and Arabic into English. I have however read the most important works that He wrote.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Nothing nefarious involved, i originally wanted to know if my experience of Christians held across the board then decide that was unfair on other faiths.

BTW, i edited the OP. Maybe my initial vote no was wrong for you, have a rethink if you think its worth redoing
Thanks. Changed it. :)

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
Some faiths have more (many more) than one book, for these, full read of the book(s) you consider most important will suffice for a tes vote
Hmmm. Reading in general is important to me as its learning in learning is holy. Like i said all books are sacred. I've read lots of important books but there are plenty I ain't read that are also important. How can I know what books are most important when I don't know what books I'll read and what knowledge may come in handy? As any book could give me important knowledge. So is this a full read of all your holy books you find important or is just reading one of your holy books you consider important cover to cover sufficant?

This question suddenly doesnt seem to work well for me. It was easy as second ago now it's hard.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Hmmm. Reading in general is important to me as its learning in learning is holy. Like i said all books are sacred. I've read lots of important books but there are plenty I ain't read that are also important. How can I know what books are most important when I don't know what books I'll read and what knowledge may come in handy? As any book could give me important knowledge. So is this a full read of all your holy books you find important or is just reading one of your holy books you consider important cover to cover sufficant?

This question suddenly doesnt seem to work well for me. It was easy as second ago now it's hard.

Sorry, i am trying to make it as even for everyone as i can. I don't know how to include future readings

VoidCat

Sorry, i am trying to make it as even for everyone as i can. I don't know how to include future readings
It's ok. I reckon thinking on it it can't be as important to me as the books I have read as I haven't read them yet. It still could be important in the future but it's not now cuz I dont know what the book entails what knowledge it may hold. So I guess the answer to your question would be yes I've read all the ones that I consider most important

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Which book/books do you consider most important to your faith and use that as a guide.

Hadiths are just as important to read, but most people don't know this. However, I knew what you meant.

Without hadiths, Satanic spells upon Quran can't be broken. Without Du'as of Ahlulbayt (a), we won't be able to find our way to God.

Imam Ali (a) says "go to Ahlulbayt thirsty just as you go the Quran thirsty (for wisdom, knowledge, light, cure, insight, guidance, etc)"

However, I knew you meant Quran as far as Islam is concerned. And to my shame, I haven't read all hadiths.

VoidCat

It's ok. I reckon thinking on it it can't be as important to me as the books I have read as I haven't read them yet. It still could be important in the future but it's not now cuz I dont know what the book entails what knowledge it may hold. So I guess the answer to your question would be yes I've read all the ones that I consider most important
But then there's the argument that the books you haven't read all all that more important cuz you haven't read them yet and the constant pursuit of knowledge can never be finished.

Hmmm.

Imma vote no to be safe

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But then there's the argument that the books you haven't read all all that more important cuz you haven't read them yet and the constant pursuit of knowledge can never be finished.

Hmmm.

Imma vote no to be safe

This is true of almost all words and books, but not that of guidance from God. Kids books are obviously not written for grown ups. There are books meant for higher academics and not meant for people reading subject first time. However, God's book is not like this. The reason being that's God words are layered go reach out to all minds of mankind and still never be fully appreciated and understood by anyone save himself. Ahlulbayt (a) words are similar, in that, only they realize the full meaning and appreciate it, but they speak in a way all can listen and benefit.

God's book, the more you recite, the more deeper it gets, the deeper it gets, the more clear it gets. It's clarity expands and it's outward clearness expands the more knowledge you get.

As for Ahlulbayt (a) words. Alone they are almost nothing. With Quran and the way they compliment it, their eloquence and insights and level of light, too high for Devils to imitate for "they are from the hearing far removed".