• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Health Care and the US Elections

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Despite the fact that socialized medicine would save you guys a bundle, you seem to routinely vote against it. What is the fear with socialized medicine?
One fear is that government would make private
care illegal, leaving the government system the
only one available. That was Hillary's plan back
during their "co-presidency" (Bill's term, not mine).
As long as we're allowed a Plan B, I'm good with
single payer health care.

F1fan

Veteran Member
only one available.
Why would it do that? If a small portion of the public can pay their own medical bills the government would be happy not to have that extra expense and paperwork.
That was Hillary's plan back
What I want is a system where the private insurance compaanies can keep doing their thing, but there is a government system that acts like an insurance company and will cover the costs of healthcare to those who can't afford it, or opt for it. Those who default or opt in to the gov insurance will have a tax that is affordable for their family or as individuals. And the cost of medicines are way too high. If anything at least have a payment schedule that is proportionate to income.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The debate over single-payer is stupid. There are many different systems in the world with ours at the bottom of first world nations. If R's and D's would agree to look at all the systems they could theoretically compromise on one that was really good but not single payer.

But the greedy health care industry does not want their profits impinged in the slightest and they don't care who dies or suffers as long as they can drink the blood (profit from) the system.

Pogo

The debate over single-payer is stupid. There are many different systems in the world with ours at the bottom of first world nations. If R's and D's would agree to look at all the systems they could theoretically compromise on one that was really good but not single payer.

But the greedy health care industry does not want their profits impinged in the slightest and they don't care who dies or suffers as long as they can drink the blood (profit from) the system.
Single payer isn't even really the issue, it is a baseline that we agree is maximally useful to the general well-being. Not the best, but healthcare is not a cause for problems for the general populace.

Pogo

Hmmm... Its about what the we spend on health care.
Can you figure it out from here or do I need to break out the crayons?
Yup, crayon math says we spend twice as much as any other similar country for the same level of services.

We can have discussions over where the colored pencil lines go but that is for when we get beyond the crayon level. :)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Despite the fact that socialized medicine would save you guys a bundle, you seem to routinely vote against it. What is the fear with socialized medicine?
Well the bottom line of anything including Healthcare is that somebody has to pay for it.

So I'm actually curious what socialized medicine has done to the economies of those governments that bear the brunt of the costs and how it is unavoidable to experience extreme corruption at the government level that makes Healthcare even more expensive and not cheaper with the 'free' label attached. The reality of socialized medicine is that healthy people pay for the sick people and as long as healthy people outnumber the sick people you'll be fine with such a system until of course, you get more sick people than healthy people.

That's what my fear on socialized medicine is is that one day it's going to implode at some point in time.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Why would it do that?
Good question.
I don't recall Hillary giving a reason.
If a small portion of the public can pay their own medical bills the government would be happy not to have that extra expense and paperwork.

What I want is a system where the private insurance compaanies can keep doing their thing, but there is a government system that acts like an insurance company and will cover the costs of healthcare to those who can't afford it, or opt for it. Those who default or opt in to the gov insurance will have a tax that is affordable for their family or as individuals. And the cost of medicines are way too high. If anything at least have a payment schedule that is proportionate to income.
That would be one way.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Testify, Komrad!

F1fan

Veteran Member

From what I'm hearing from friends and family who are having health problems they are facing higher deductables, less coverage for meds and tests, and higher premiums (which could still be free when Trump eliminated the mandate and cancelled subsidies). It seems everyone wants their pound of flesh.

Pogo

Well the bottom line of anything including Healthcare is that somebody has to pay for it.

So I'm actually curious what socialized medicine has done to the economies of those governments that bear the brunt of the costs and how it is unavoidable to experience extreme corruption at the government level that makes Healthcare even more expensive and not cheaper with the 'free' label attached. The reality of socialized medicine is that healthy people pay for the sick people and as long as healthy people outnumber the sick people you'll be fine with such a system until of course, you get more sick people than healthy people.

That's what my fear on socialized medicine is is that one day it's going to implode at some point in time.
Hey, have you seen the guy on the corner?
When he stops being ok when the beat cop comes by, the cop calls an ambulance and they haul him to the hospital, the place of the most expensive care possible and because he is the guy on the corner and we are not ignorant of our responsibility to the least of us (biblical reference I think), We spend several thousand dollars determining that he is generally fine, but dehydrated because he didn't have a place to get out of the sun and get a drink of water where he would not be shunned.

It is not all about somebody paying for your drugs,it is about making the whole cost come down for everyone and not just you.

Argue about it when you demonstrate that you have your 7 square miles to support you hunter gatherer desires, until then, there are more than 5000- people in NY and we have a different way of surviving which includes helping each other.l

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Forgot the bipolar **** for a time and comment about all the systems that are not "socialized". Do you classic socialized where medical people work for the government?

The current system in the US is an abomination. If you think we have the best, provide some evidence.

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Forgot the bipolar **** for a time and comment about all the systems that are not "socialized". whatever that means. The current system in the US is an abomination. If you think we have the best, provide some evidence.
It's obvious that the corrupt politicians are bribed by the healthcare insurance system.
;)
Corruption and money-hunger are the roots of evil.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Irrational fear. Here there are the two systems.
And the wealthy don't go to public hospitals, for sure.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

Honestly I think it is a concept of solidarity.
If you are healthy, you must sympathize with those who had the misfortune of not being healthy.

And by the way there are people who are hospitalized only once or twice in their entire lives, so I don't understand why they should enrich private insurance companies whose CEOs will spend those billions on hookers and gambling. ;)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Testify, Komrad!
Why call me komrad for noting how the system now works and who benefits from it. Based on the evidence with excessive prices, predatory businesses that deliver worse care and so forth, do you take the current system to be the best possible system for everyone? If not, propose an alternative from any other nation's model.