• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Health Matters: 50+

Secret Chief

Degrow!
I've heard the same re: strengthening the core, and also stretching the hip flexors. Sometimes those get forgotten. One of the exercises I do are bridges, but in addition to exercises, don't forget balance! If you can't balance on one foot for 30 seconds, start practicing in front of something you can grab when you need to - a dresser, or counter.
Bridges?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Also drive after dark, do all my own work at home, cook from scratch, and do activities I haven't done before

This stood out to me. I have always cooked from scratch, for the most part. This came up in prison. Three people I was familiar with all had diabetes, and they were constantly talking about their "numbers" (that meant nothing to me). Long story short. One day, I said something about that the only reason I didn't have diabetes is that I have literally never eaten fast food. (I have yet to eat a Big Mac, for example.) The guys strenuously objected to this, but they all had been junk food crazy for decades. I rarely go to restaurants, let alone a fast food place. It's one of the downsides to being a competent cook. (I don't know that there is a definite connection, but it seems to be a pretty odd coincidence.)

I also remember the prison doctor being surprised when he asked me what meds I take daily. I just looked blankly and said, "I take a Tylenol when I have a headache. Does that count?" Med routines are so common, he didn't expect that.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
OK, this is very specific warning.

I have always had poor eyesight, my prescription at one time was 8 diopters. Then I had lasik surgery on my eyes, and attained 20-20 vision. Wonderful, I thought, no more glasses or contact lenses.

After some years I noticed a kind of fuzzy "bar" across the vision of one eye. I went to a common optician and she looked into my eyes and told me it was "floaters" (little floating specks caused by small particles in the eyes). I should have been suspicious, as floaters move around and this didn't. Anyway, I ignored it and it got worse.

Eventually I saw an Ophthalmologist who told me I had glaucoma (that's increased pressure in the eye) which had already reduced the visual field in my right eye by about a third. The increased pressure kills the photoreceptors in the retina. The damage was irreversible, though it has been stabilized with eye drops and after 20 years or so is not much worse.

So what's the lesson here? First I'm not blaming the lasik. The fault was my own in neglecting to get my eyes checked regularly because my vision was perfect and I had no symptoms. Glaucoma is typically symptom free in the early stages, but the damage it does can be permanent.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
OK, this is very specific warning.

I have always had poor eyesight, my prescription at one time was 8 diopters. Then I had lasik surgery on my eyes, and attained 20-20 vision. Wonderful, I thought, no more glasses or contact lenses.

After some years I noticed a kind of fuzzy "bar" across the vision of one eye. I went to a common optician and she looked into my eyes and told me it was "floaters" (little floating specks caused by small particles in the eyes). I should have been suspicious, as floaters move around and this didn't. Anyway, I ignored it and it got worse.

Eventually I saw an Ophthalmologist who told me I had glaucoma (that's increased pressure in the eye) which had already reduced the visual field in my right eye by about a third. The increased pressure kills the photoreceptors in the retina. The damage was irreversible, though it has been stabilized with eye drops and after 20 years or so is not much worse.

So what's the lesson here? First I'm not blaming the lasik. The fault was my own in neglecting to get my eyes checked regularly because my vision was perfect and I had no symptoms. Glaucoma is typically symptom free in the early stages, but the damage it does can be permanent.
I have drops for my eye pressures. Also, I had both cataracts removed a couple of years ago. The surgeon suggested him putting in istents (tiny drainage tubes) at the same time to keep the pressures down. I said certainly. My pressures had peaked at 24, they are now 14.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
I have drops for my eye pressures. Also, I had both cataracts removed a couple of years ago. The surgeon suggested him putting in istents (tiny drainage tubes) at the same time to keep the pressures down. I said certainly. My pressures had peaked at 24, they are now 14.

Yes, I've had cataracts done for both eyes. The prescription they put in gave me 20/40 vision which means I can get around at home and can read, look at the PC monitor, and watch TV without glasses. I have glasses for driving.

My pressures last time (they check every 6 months) were 12 and this time they were 15. He's going to do a laser treatment to bring the pressures down. 15 is probably OK, but he says 12 is better. The laser procedure takes only 10 minutes in his office, and is very low risk so I'm going ahead with it.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Yes, I've had cataracts done for both eyes. The prescription they put in gave me 20/40 vision which means I can get around at home and can read, look at the PC monitor, and watch TV without glasses. I have glasses for driving.

My pressures last time (they check every 6 months) were 12 and this time they were 15. He's going to do a laser treatment to bring the pressures down. 15 is probably OK, but he says 12 is better. The laser procedure takes only 10 minutes in his office, and is very low risk so I'm going ahead with it.
Apparently 1 in 3 catact ops subsequently need a bit of laser (I was told on my last check up). Something about a membrane forming behind the lens. Oh well, I trust him totally. The pain will be in the payment :rolleyes:

anna.

colors your eyes with what's not there

Make sure you keep your core engaged before you bridge - stomach tight, pelvis tucked. When you do these two things you’ll feel your spine make better contact with the floor. Hold these as you elevate. The better you get, the longer you can hold and the closer you can bring your heels toward your butt.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
A couple more thoughts:

1 - For the last several years we've worn nothing but "barefoot shoes". By this I mean 3 things:

- very wide toe box so that those toes can operate independently
- zero heel rise! the sole shouldn't not be taller in the heel.
- very flexible, thin soles

Again, proprioception is key. We want to feel the terrain under our feet. In the barefoot shoe community, normal shoes are referred to as "foot coffins", because they cram your toes together, effectively making your feet into clubs. When I see adds for "senior's shoes" that advertise these huge, thick, spongy soles, I want to scream. This is just a fall waiting to happen :(

2 - Learn to squat. Take your time. Asian countries have a sort of "squatting culture", and they have almost no hip or knee replacements.

3 - Learn to go from standing to sitting on the ground (cross-legged), and then getting back up gracefully. Again, take your time, this might take several months to achieve.

anna.

colors your eyes with what's not there
This stood out to me. I have always cooked from scratch, for the most part. This came up in prison. Three people I was familiar with all had diabetes, and they were constantly talking about their "numbers" (that meant nothing to me). Long story short. One day, I said something about that the only reason I didn't have diabetes is that I have literally never eaten fast food. (I have yet to eat a Big Mac, for example.) The guys strenuously objected to this, but they all had been junk food crazy for decades. I rarely go to restaurants, let alone a fast food place. It's one of the downsides to being a competent cook. (I don't know that there is a definite connection, but it seems to be a pretty odd coincidence.)

I also remember the prison doctor being surprised when he asked me what meds I take daily. I just looked blankly and said, "I take a Tylenol when I have a headache. Does that count?" Med routines are so common, he didn't expect that.

I’ll be back in a bit to reply to this.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
How have your knees held up?

I was a swimmer in school. No sweating. :D
My knees are quite marvellous. :)
I've heard about knee wear and tear from running but my fellow runner friend told me her doctor said the exercise strengthened the muscles around the knee and provided more protection. Who knows. But I have no problem with them.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
A couple more thoughts:

1 - For the last several years we've worn nothing but "barefoot shoes". By this I mean 3 things:

- very wide toe box so that those toes can operate independently
- zero heel rise! the sole shouldn't not be taller in the heel.
- very flexible, thin soles

Again, proprioception is key. We want to feel the terrain under our feet. In the barefoot shoe community, normal shoes are referred to as "foot coffins", because they cram your toes together, effectively making your feet into clubs. When I see adds for "senior's shoes" that advertise these huge, thick, spongy soles, I want to scream. This is just a fall waiting to happen :(

2 - Learn to squat. Take your time. Asian countries have a sort of "squatting culture", and they have almost no hip or knee replacements.

3 - Learn to go from standing to sitting on the ground (cross-legged), and then getting back up gracefully. Again, take your time, this might take several months to achieve.
I've seen running shoes like that. To be honest I'm not tempted.

icehorse

Premium Member

We've been on keto and intermittent fasting for almost a year now. We both lost 20 in the first few months. My BP used to be slightly high, now it's fine. My blood sugar levels are VERY steady.

I think lowering carbs is probably a really good idea for everyone. I probably had 100+ grams of carbs / day before starting keto. Keto recommends 30 grams, which is hard to do. I'm now relaxing a bit and probably in the 40-50 grams / day range. This is not that hard to do, and all my numbers have remained steady.

I think low carb diets could help MILLIONS of diabetics or pre-diabetics.

If you grab your reading glasses and head to the grocery store you'll find carbs are in friggin EVERYTHING. It's not hard to see why we have so many health issues in the West.

icehorse

Premium Member
But are they not a major constituent of the human diet?
They are for most people. And to be sure, not all carbs are created equal. Carbs in broccoli are way better for you than carbs in a potato. (This is hard for me! I love things like potatoes and pasta!)

So the basic keto diet is something like:

- stick with the amount of protein you've probably been having.
- cut carbs
- add fat

So I eat a lot of avocados, and olive oil, and creams :)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
They are for most people. And to be sure, not all carbs are created equal. Carbs in broccoli are way better for you than carbs in a potato. (This is hard for me! I love things like potatoes and pasta!)

- cut carbs
- add fat

OK, you made me look up Keto diet and it looks pretty nice.

It looks like sort of how I do my diet already, honestly. I am a fan of the 100-Mile diet too. (I don't do the 100-Mile diet itself, but love getting as much food locally, as fresh as possible. Farmer's markets here are great.)

Cool beans, looks like I have a bit of reading to do. :)

Last edited:

Secret Chief

Degrow!

- cut carbs
- add fat

So basically not for a vegan/vegetarian then!

"Here’s a list of foods that need to be reduced or eliminated on a ketogenic diet:
  • grains or starches: wheat-based products, rice, pasta, cereal, etc.
  • fruit: all fruit, except small portions of berries like strawberries
  • beans or legumes: peas, kidney beans, lentils, chickpeas, etc.
  • root vegetables and tubers: potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, etc."
- The Ketogenic Diet: A Detailed Beginner's Guide to Keto

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
So basically not for a vegan/vegetarian then!

"Here’s a list of foods that need to be reduced or eliminated on a ketogenic diet:
  • grains or starches: wheat-based products, rice, pasta, cereal, etc.
  • fruit: all fruit, except small portions of berries like strawberries
  • beans or legumes: peas, kidney beans, lentils, chickpeas, etc.
  • root vegetables and tubers: potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, etc."
- The Ketogenic Diet: A Detailed Beginner's Guide to Keto
I hadn't got to that part... no fruit or carrots is a dealbreaker for me.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
I hadn't got to that part... no fruit or carrots is a dealbreaker for me.
I must say to me it does seem rather contrary to a normal human diet. My BMI is bang in the middle of the healthy range. When I need to lose any pounds I simply consume less calories and have a decent interprandial gap between my evening meal and breakfast.