• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Health/Nutrition principle shared by the 7th Day Adventists+Church of Jesus Christ of

God is love

I wanted to preface my comparison of the Seventh Day Adventists' and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints' principle of health that they share, with my findings in my research and study of nutrition.

I think "an ounce or prevention is worth a pound of cure". I've read some books about health and nutrition. What I gathered after reading the "American Medical Association's Family Medical Guide" is that substances which are not natural have an irritating effect upon the body when they are inhaled such as tobacco, smog or eaten such as pestides, preservatives,processed foods {margarine}. This happens because the body doesn't know how to utilize it , digest it or filter it, reject it. The body wasn't designed to process unnatural things. Eventually this irritation causes diseases such as cancer somewhere in the body.

Betty Eadie in her book "Embraced by The Light" mentions that harmful substances are those that are not in harmony with the body.

Sometimes the body is not getting enough of a good things such as vitamens, minerals. If the body doesn't get what it needs the part of the body that needs it will deteriorate. If the body doesn't get enough vitamen eye they loss vision or id the body doesn't get enough calcium, it has bone loss, etc, etc, etc. I studied nutrition. I studied the benefits each vitaman and mineral has and what foods have most of these vitamens and minerals. I also surfed the net and found many health sites. I discovered that many herbs have healing properties

I think the food pyramid is accurate as to how much we should be getting of those food groups.

Therefore I think the Seventh Day Adventists and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints share a healthy life choice.

Both the Seventh Day Adventist Church and the Church of Jesus Christ of latterday Saints share the principle that the body is a kind of temple for the Holy Spirit to dwell. If you eat better you may think better so the body shouldn't be defiled with substances that are harmful to it. Such as:

!. Drugs

2. Tobacco

3. Alcohol

4. Caffeine

There are substances that God created with nutritious vitamines and minerals in them that we should be eating. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints has "the Word of Wisdom"

1. Whole Wheat, the staff of life
Whole wheat is better than bleached flour because whole wheat has all the vitamens and fiber that white flour does not because some of the nutients have been extracted when it is bleached.

2. Vegetables

3. Fruits

4. Wholesome Herbs
In the booke of Alma that is within the Second Witness of the bible, herbs are mentioned. It states that many plants and roots God prepared to prevent some diseases.
This agrees with what I found on some health sites.

These foods are good for the body and the body knows how to digest them unlike man made processed products such as white flour, margarine, sugar and preservatives. The "Word of Wisdom' doesn't mention abstaining from margarine, sugar or preservatives but I am adding that word of advice because they are not natural so the body doesn't digest them well.

I think butter is better than margarine because margarine doesn't assimilate into the body and clogs the system. I think honey is a sweet substitute for sugar. Molasses is better than sugar because when sugar is extracted from the sugarcane plant it is in a high concentration and has a sugar high similar to a drug effect. Some kids react badly to this and some have been diagnosed with A.D S because ot it. An interesting note is that children who chew the suercane plant in South America don't get as many caleries as children who eat the sugar extracted from the plant and put in candy.

The Seventh Day Adventists are vegetarians.
They also don't eat dairy
Their diet includes more nuts and seeds.

I myself prefer not to eat most meat although I love seafood. I love lobster, oysters and clams but I heard they are the scavengers of the sea, eating what others left so probably they are not healthy. I love them anyway.

This reminds me of the Jewish Kosher diet. They don't eat ham because it is the meat of an unclean animal.

God is love

I just wanted to apologize because of the typo. I'm not the best speller especially when I'm typing so much,it's tiring sometimes. This time I was typing too quickly.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
God is love said:
Therefore I think the Seventh Day Adventists and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints share a healthy life choice.
I think you're right about that. I don't know when the Seventh Day Adventist's health code originated, but ours has been in effect ever since 1838, when, according to our belief, it was given by revelation to Joseph Smith.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints has "the Word of Wisdom"

Whole wheat is better than bleached flour because whole wheat has all the vitamens and fiber that white flour does not because some of the nutients have been extracted when it is bleached.

2. Vegetables

3. Fruits

4. Wholesome Herbs
In the booke of Alma that is within the Second Witness of the bible, herbs are mentioned. It states that many plants and roots God prepared to prevent some diseases.
I'm really impressed by your thorough research! Good job!

These foods are good for the body and the body knows how to digest them unlike man made processed products such as white flour, margarine, sugar and preservatives. The "Word of Wisdom' doesn't mention abstaining from margarine, sugar or preservatives but I am adding that word of advice because they are not natural so the body doesn't digest them well.
Good point. Of course, there probably wasn't such thing as margarine when the Word of Wisdom was written. Methamphetamines aren't mentioned in the Word of Wisdom either! But caring for our bodies is something that, by necessity, requires good common sense. That's why it's important to recognize not only "the letter of the law" but "the spirit of the law."

I didn't realize that. Mormons are not vegetarians, but the Word of Wisdom also encourages eating meat "sparingly."

I myself prefer not to eat most meat although I love seafood.
Me, too. I eat red meat perhaps once every six weeks or so. I eat quite a bit of chicken and a lot of seafood.

Thanks again for your post. I really do admire the depth and accuracy of your research.

StephenSmith

Katzpur,

You obviously aint South African. Red meat once in 6 weeks? We'd think there is something seriously wrong if we had so little. ;-) As for seafood, well, thats why there are sharks etc...

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
God is love said:
I wanted to preface my comparison of the Seventh Day Adventists' and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints' principle of health that they share, with my findings in my research and study of nutrition.

I think "an ounce or prevention is worth a pound of cure". I've read some books about health and nutrition. What I gathered after reading the "American Medical Association's Family Medical Guide" is that substances which are not natural have an irritating effect upon the body when they are inhaled such as tobacco, smog or eaten such as pestides, preservatives,processed foods {margarine}. This happens because the body doesn't know how to utilize it , digest it or filter it, reject it. The body wasn't designed to process unnatural things. Eventually this irritation causes diseases such as cancer somewhere in the body.

Betty Eadie in her book "Embraced by The Light" mentions that harmful substances are those that are not in harmony with the body.

Sometimes the body is not getting enough of a good things such as vitamens, minerals. If the body doesn't get what it needs the part of the body that needs it will deteriorate. If the body doesn't get enough vitamen eye they loss vision or id the body doesn't get enough calcium, it has bone loss, etc, etc, etc. I studied nutrition. I studied the benefits each vitaman and mineral has and what foods have most of these vitamens and minerals. I also surfed the net and found many health sites. I discovered that many herbs have healing properties

I think the food pyramid is accurate as to how much we should be getting of those food groups.

Both the Seventh Day Adventist Church and the Church of Jesus Christ of latterday Saints share the principle that the body is a kind of temple for the Holy Spirit to dwell. If you eat better you may think better so the body shouldn't be defiled with substances that are harmful to it. Such as:

!. Drugs

2. Tobacco

3. Alcohol

4. Caffeine

There are substances that God created with nutritious vitamines and minerals in them that we should be eating. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints has "the Word of Wisdom"

2. Vegetables

3. Fruits

4. Wholesome Herbs

I think butter is better than margarine because margarine doesn't assimilate into the body and clogs the system. I think honey is a sweet substitute for sugar. Molasses is better than sugar because when sugar is extracted from the sugarcane plant it is in a high concentration and has a sugar high similar to a drug effect. Some kids react badly to this and some have been diagnosed with A.D S because ot it. An interesting note is that children who chew the suercane plant in South America don't get as many caleries as children who eat the sugar extracted from the plant and put in candy.

Their diet includes more nuts and seeds.

I myself prefer not to eat most meat although I love seafood. I love lobster, oysters and clams but I heard they are the scavengers of the sea, eating what others left so probably they are not healthy. I love them anyway.

This reminds me of the Jewish Kosher diet. They don't eat ham because it is the meat of an unclean animal.
The trouble with cutting out dairy products is that you need to find an alternate form of calcium, for the young.
Apart from that, very good advice. I think there is little that I would argue with; I personally would add fish (omega 3 oil) and virgin Olive oil (good for the brain and joints respectively & heart (olive oil)). Garlic is an excellent natutral anti-biotic. Can't think of others at the moment. (my wife is a healthy eating maniac - not that it has domne me much good..:D )

I just wanted to apologize because of the typo. I'm not the best speller especially when I'm typing so much,it's tiring sometimes. This time I was typing too quickly.
What Typo ?:D

scottman719

God is love said:
Their diet includes more nuts and seeds
thats not entirely true, not all SDA's are vegetarian, i am SDA and i am not vegetarian and there is no rule that says you have to be vegetarian and no SDA has ever told me i CAN'T eat meat, it is recomended and many of the members of the church are vegetarian or try to eat as little meat as possible. SDA's do not eat pork or shellfish and other unclean animals stated in leviticus.

Ðanisty

My father's family is Seventh Day Adventist and they all consume dairy. From what I understand, the strict Adventists don't, but some Adventists do. All of the recipes I've gotten from that side of the family do not contain meat, but many of them do contain milk and eggs.

Zephyr

Moved on
Meat has always been my protein source of choice, and I find that moderated drug use can actually help some problems. Wouldn't it be hard to get all your nutrients without meat or dairy?

And Danisty, are you the same as Danisty from LWS?

Ðanisty

Zephyr said:
Meat has always been my protein source of choice, and I find that moderated drug use can actually help some problems. Wouldn't it be hard to get all your nutrients without meat or dairy?
I prefer meat as well.

Zephyr said:
And Danisty, are you the same as Danisty from LWS?
Yup. I followed your link and got stuck. This place is pretty interesting.