• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hello from Trysdar

Trysdar

Hello,

Short introduction of myself.

I was a Sunni Muslim and Sufi follower.
Then I dropped Islam for mere Monotheism, without Scriptures.
I found no interest in other religions.
Then I shortly came to Qur'an alone movement for a few months.
And finally since a few years now, I'm plainly an Atheist.

I'm particularly interested in the history of the religions.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Hello, welcome, I too am atheist, while I've been here ive learned quite a lot about other religions.

One thing to note, avoid the debates in the staff dining room, they can get a little messy.

@giphy (2).gif

PureX

Veteran Member
Hello,

Rejecting religious depictions of God does not make one an atheist.

Just to clarify.

Trysdar

Rejecting religious depictions of God does not make one an atheist.

Just to clarify.

In fact, I didn't reject any religious depictions of God.

I rejected Islam ten years ago, for reasons that I don't want to expose here, because I believe it's not the right place, but I still retained a monotheistic faith at that time.
It's much later, by chance, that I came to the logical conclusion that no god exists (unfortunately) and I didn't expect that conclusion.

PureX

Veteran Member
In fact, I didn't reject any religious depictions of God.

It's much later, by chance, that I came to the logical conclusion that no god exists (unfortunately) and I didn't expect that conclusion.
Ok, but where did your definition of "gods" come from if not religion?

Last edited:

Trysdar

Ok, but where did your definition of "gods" come from if not religion?

We could have a divergent understanding of your "reject any religious depictions of God" here.

When I said that I became atheist but not because of "reject any religious depictions of God", I meant by that that it's not because I disliked what is written in the Scriptures (although, yes I dislike some parts also, but it didn't play a role at that time).

Some people become atheist because, as they say, they find the Scriptures (usually Bible, Qur'an) silly, illogical, childish, irrationnal, alienating...
But this is not the reasoning I took to become atheist and this is what I meant above by "I didn't reject any religious depictions of God".

I became atheist by learning
* how the concept of god evolved through time in history, especially in Mesopotamia since Sumer, as and when mankind developed scientific knowledge about the world
* how the concept of god more particularly in the Scriptures that were relevant for my former faith (Bible, Qur'an) evolved under political needs and cultural influences.

PureX

Veteran Member
We could have a divergent understanding of your "reject any religious depictions of God" here.

When I said that I became atheist but not because of "reject any religious depictions of God", I meant by that that it's not because I disliked what is written in the Scriptures (although, yes I dislike some parts also, but it didn't play a role at that time).

Some people become atheist because, as they say, they find the Scriptures (usually Bible, Qur'an) silly, illogical, childish, irrationnal, alienating...
But this is not the reasoning I took to become atheist and this is what I meant above by "I didn't reject any religious depictions of God".

* how the concept of god evolved through time in history, especially in Mesopotamia since Sumer, as and when mankind developed scientific knowledge about the world
* how the concept of god more particularly in the Scriptures that were relevant for my former faith (Bible, Qur'an) evolved under political needs and cultural influences.
I understand. But it still very much sounds like what you rejected were the conceptual depictions of God that the various religions had developed. And you justified it by recognizing that they are, in fact, just depictions.

But the 'God' proposition is first and foremost a philosophical proposal based on a self-evident logical necessity. And the various religions and their depictions of this 'God' come after that philosophical proposal has been accepted, and people then want to be able to envision this 'God'.

To grossly over-state it; just because you have decided that there is no 'giant invisible bearded guy in the sky' that's watching everything you do does not mean that you have rejected the existence of God. As you have only rejected a religious depiction of God. And how these religious depictions developed within and among we humans over time is therefor not germane to the question of God's actual existence.

PureX

Veteran Member

Some people become atheist because, as they say, they find the Scriptures (usually Bible, Qur'an) silly, illogical, childish, irrational, alienating...

I understand. But it still very much sounds like what you rejected were the conceptual depictions of God that the various religions had developed. And you justified it by recognizing that they are, in fact, just depictions.

But the 'God' proposition is first and foremost a philosophical proposal based on a self-evident logical necessity. And the various religions and their depictions of this 'God' come after that philosophical proposal has been accepted, and people then want to be able to cognitively envision this 'God'.

To grossly over-state it; just because you have decided that there is no 'giant invisible bearded guy in the sky' that's watching everything you do does not mean that you have rejected the existence of God. As you have only rejected a religious depiction of God. And how these religious depictions developed within and among we humans over time is therefor not germane to the question of God's actual existence.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
Hello,

Hello and welcome!!!!

Trysdar

Let's say that based on my own interpretation of your statement, and underlying concepts that you may be aware of or may be unaware of, I can agree.
But the 'God' proposition is first and foremost a philosophical proposal based on a self-evident logical necessity. And the various religions and their depictions of this 'God' come after that philosophical proposal has been accepted, and people then want to be able to cognitively envision this 'God'.

I fully disagree with both statements.
However I'm not sure this introduction forum is the right place to debate this.