• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hello

wubs23

Hello,

My name is James and I am new to this forum (obviously).
My view is that everyting can be proven by science.

Also, I believe that if you are religious, there can be only two reasons for that: 1) lack of information or knowledge about science, or 2) not seeing the value of facts.

Im looking forward to some interesting discussions.
Who knows; maybe some of you prove me wrong ^^

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hello,
My name is James and I am new to this forum (obviously).
My view is that everyting can be proven by science.
Greetings!
May I call you "Jim Bob"?
Btw, science is a toothless old bi*** at proving things true.
Proving things false is its forte. (Note: The "e" in "forte" is silent in this usage. The other "forte" has a different meaning.)

As you see, I'm the annoying one in this forum.

Last edited:

mycorrhiza

I believe you are wrong. Am I not religious, because I believe in science? There are many more reasons to be religious than not believing in science. Most religious people are dualists, and may well trust science to explain the physical world.

But welcome to the forums!

Last edited:

The_Evelyonian

Old-School Member
accept.jpg

4consideration

Premium Member
Hello and welcome. Look forward to discussions with you.

I do not consider myself "religious", but do believe in God.

Are you aware that in your opening, you expressed a belief that you have an absolute understanding of the reasons for other people's beliefs, without any evidence yet presented as to why they believe what they do?

wubs23

Greetings!
May I call you "Jim Bob"?
Btw, science is a toothless old bi*** at proving things true.
Proving things false is its forte. (Note: The "e" in "forte" is silent in this usage. The other "forte" has a different meaning.)

As you see, I'm the annoying one in this forum.

Oh, you are not annoying at all.
Science is perfectly capable of proving things.
Per example, genetics has been proven. It's been proven that there is a force that attracts matter, depending on (or correlating with) the mass of the object; also known as gravity.
They proved that the world is older than 6000 years, that it's true that the earth orbits the sun; et cetera.

I understand you are referring to (poppers) falsificationism; however this only applies when you talk about generalizations.

Per example; we can prove it is true that object X, has trait Y.
Proving that ALL objects similar to object X, have this trait as well; is not possible.

So i politely disagree with you here.

ps: 'forte' as in 'strongsuit', can be pronounced both as 'fort' and 'fortay'. even though it is officially the former, the latter has become widely used and is therefore also accepted. ;)

Hello and welcome. Look forward to discussions with you.

I do not consider myself "religious", but do believe in God.

Are you aware that in your opening, you expressed a belief that you have an absolute understanding of the reasons for other people's beliefs, without any evidence yet presented as to why they believe what they do?

I dispute this statement. Since in my post, i clearly stated it was my opinion; this cannot possibly be an absolute understanding.

Furthermore; there is evidence present as to why they believe what they do.
Religious people are namely not the same as people that believe in God. Religious people believe, per definition, what their religion tells them.

We can then find their beliefs and reasoning through the statements of their leaders and scriptures.

If you do not believe the scriptures or leaders of your religion to be true, then you are not religious, but simply a 'believer'.

And even without evidence, my second reason is true for all 'believers'. Because believing is per definition assuming something to be true in the absence of facts.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
ps: 'forte' as in 'strongsuit', can be pronounced both as 'fort' and 'fortay'. even though it is officially the former, the latter has become widely used and is therefore also accepted. ;)
Just because an abomination becomes common, doesn't mean that I must accept it.
If I did, the authorities would confiscated my Pedant Badge!

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Wow you seem fun interesting and informed also look like you will be a good discuser and debater. Welcome

wubs23

Just because an abomination becomes common, doesn't mean that I must accept it.
If I did, the authorities would confiscated my Pedant Badge!

You are right.
They shouldn't allow words to be written differently from the original, official way of writing.

However, why do you write in modern english then, and not as it was written in the 14th century?
Doesn't this imply that it is possible for words to change the way it's written?

And why do you think they changed? Because everybody stuck to the original, and the government then said: you know... this is wrong. everybody writes it the way it's supposed to, but still we should change the letters around a bit..

Of course not. It is changed based on how the majority writes it. Meaning that even the 'autorities' accept that abominations, when used commonly, are equally valid.

4consideration

Premium Member
Also, I believe that if you are religious, there can be only two reasons for that: 1) lack of information or knowledge about science, or 2) not seeing the value of facts.
can (indicates ability)

be only two reasons (indicates absolute limitation -- two, max)

The belief you expressed is a belief that contains an absolute. It also includes an assumption of your ability to determine and understand another person's reason for their belief with no evidence -- since within the vastness of all existence, you have determined that there are only two reasons why billions of people may choose to be religious. And, I am going to take a leap and identify your desription of those two reasons as: ignorance and stupidity.

I ask you to reconsider your position to allow for the possibility that some people may actually have reasons for believing what they believe, having nothing to do with ignorance or stupidity. I am also going to ask you to consider that an absolute belief such as the one you expressed, is not only NOT scientific, but is in actual disregard of the scientific process that involves inquiry of what is so -- along with allowing for more than two possibilities -- before reaching a conclusion.

Regarding the subject of belief.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Belief is the psychological state in which an individual holds a proposition or premise to be true.

It is "holding something to be true" that makes it a belief -- not the source of information used, or lack of a source of information, that makes something a belief. A belief may be substantiated or unsubstantiated -- but lack of evidence is not the defining factor of a belief.

Science works with beliefs, what is believed to be true, all the time. It changes as instrumentaion, data, understanding, etc. changes.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You are right.
They shouldn't allow words to be written differently from the original, official way of writing.

However, why do you write in modern english then, and not as it was written in the 14th century?
Doesn't this imply that it is possible for words to change the way it's written?

And why do you think they changed? Because everybody stuck to the original, and the government then said: you know... this is wrong. everybody writes it the way it's supposed to, but still we should change the letters around a bit..

Of course not. It is changed based on how the majority writes it. Meaning that even the 'autorities' accept that abominations, when used commonly, are equally valid.
What seems normal to me is the standard.
No one may deviate from that.
Of course, I make changes to improve the language....those are OK.

wubs23

can (indicates ability)

be only two reasons (indicates absolute limitation -- two, max)

The belief you expressed is a belief that contains an absolute. It also includes an assumption of your ability to determine and understand another person's reason for their belief with no evidence -- since within the vastness of all existence, you have determined that there are only two reasons why billions of people may choose to be religious. And, I am going to take a leap and identify your desription of those two reasons as: ignorance and stupidity.

I ask you to reconsider your position to allow for the possibility that some people may actually have reasons for believing what they believe, having nothing to do with ignorance or stupidity. I am also going to ask you to consider that an absolute belief such as the one you expressed, is not only NOT scientific, but is in actual disregard of the scientific process that involves inquiry of what is so -- along with allowing for more than two possibilities -- before reaching a conclusion.

Regarding the subject of belief.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Belief is the psychological state in which an individual holds a proposition or premise to be true.

It is "holding something to be true" that makes it a belief -- not the source of information used, or lack of a source of information, that makes something a belief. A belief may be substantiated or unsubstantiated -- but lack of evidence is not the defining factor of a belief.

Science works with beliefs, what is believed to be true, all the time. It changes as instrumentaion, data, understanding, etc. changes.

I agree that the belief i expressed contains an absolute.
However, this is not the same as saying my belief is absolute.

Of course it includes an assumption of my ability to determine their reasons for believing.
Key word being 'assumption'.

Now, you go on to say my reasons are the same as 'ignorance and stupidity'. This is not the case. Ignorance; yes. Stupidity; no. My second reason is not saying people are stupid, just that they do not see the value of facts.

You ask me to consider that people have reasons for believing what they believe. I do. Just not reasons that are based on facts.

And you go on to say that my statement is very unscientific. I completely and utterly disagree with you.

I think i have to phrase my statement a bit more carefully from now on.

if
my experiences [about individuals from a population]
are
giving (accurate) information [about the population as a whole]
then
there are only 2 reasons for being religious.

This is not unscientific.

I make two assumptions, and use these to give one explanation.
This is the basis of logic and the scientific process.

As you could read in the very last sentence of my first post, i said: "who knows, maybe you guys can prove me wrong".

Indicating that, based on my experiences so far, i assume my hypothesis to be true. Again; this is what they do in science as well.

However; you can prove me (my hypothesis) wrong. This means it is falsifiable, which again is scientific. It is proven false, when:

1. A person gives a reasoning for being religious
2. This reasoning does not show a lack of knowledge about science
3. This reasoning does see the value of facts; and is therefore based on them.

In fact, this is exactly how science works. You collect data [experiences] from a sample [the people i have spoken to about this subject] to make inferences about the population [religious people as a whole].

Now when they get data that disproves these inferences, you give a new hypothesis, allowing for both the 'old' data, as well as the new data.

Regarding the subject of belief, I suggest you read the following link:
Epistemology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As you can see, there are valid reasons for me using this definition when i talk about knowledge and religion.

And finally; please do prove me wrong then, and show me at least one person that has a reasoning for being religious, that uses facts for this.

One person.