• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hello

Mike182

Flaming Queer
ChrisP said:
Hey Runt, don't know if ya remember me, I kinda started as you were leaving (under the name "SnaleSpace")...

shoot, that was it! i had a name change as well! i'm the artist who formerly went by the identity of "corrupt_priest" :bow:

Runt

Mike182 said:
shoot, that was it! i had a name change as well! i'm the artist who formerly went by the identity of "corrupt_priest" :bow:

Oh! Heh, yeah, I vaguely remember you. I think you started right about the time I was on my way out...

deepali

Runt said:
Hi everyone. I'm *technically* not new but I haven't been around for... WAY too long... and so many people here probably don't know me.

I'm a college student living in Arizona. I'm majoring in Religious Studies and am enjoying every second of my education. I'm very into geeky things like writing and martial arts, and I also enjoy dancing (ballet, Irish, and jazz), singing, and performing in Renaissance Festivals.

For those who know me and are wondering why I disappeared so long... well, that's a long story, but a simple one. Life caught up with me (and ran me over), and I just sort of faded into obscurity. Things have since calmed down and gotten better, and a few weeks ago I got to thinking about how much I missed RF. It took me a while to get the courage to come back--those who know me will probably understand why--but I know everyone here is friendly and forgiving, so I decided to swallow my fear and come say hi.

*waves*
Welcome back
U left d place b4 i joined.Anyways it is nice 2 c u

robtex

Veteran Member
Runt said:
Close! My name is Nastasha.. I'll take your suggestion and look into martial arts clubs at my school.

Nastasha, I did the same thing in college and got really positive results from it. Like you, I had two years of TDK experience. When I joined the martial arts club there were people from a multitude of backgrounds and arts. There was Judo, wrestling, karate, tkd, chinese boxing, kenpo, kajukenpo, aikido, jujitsu, ect ect. I got to see a whole spectrum of arts and get a really educated idea of how different arts operated. I ended-up studying aikido in college and joined a jujitsu school right out of college in Austin Texas. I saw alot of things in a consolidated envirorment that I would have never seen if I had just joined a school where everbody did the same thing. Eventually I settled in on something but it let me "play the field" so to speak and see what was out there and what I was more drawn to.

I am happy to see you again.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Runt said:
As for church, I'm a Worship Associate now, which (I don't know if other UU churches have the same organization as mine, so I'll explain) is basically a group of people who help plan services, help out in the pulpit, and do services when the minister is not present. I've been with them for the last couple months after a few months of inactivity. (I'm serious when I said earlier that I let myself fade into obscurity... it wasn't just here).

That awesome! We have a similar group, usually the folks from the Ministry of Worship committee are the Worship Associates, but others can be as well. For example, when Rev. Nancy does a sermon dealing with GBLT issues one or two of us from the Welcoming Congregation committee will be the worship associates for the day.

I'm really glad you're back. :hug:

Runt

robtex said:
Nastasha, I did the same thing in college and got really positive results from it. Like you, I had two years of TDK experience. When I joined the martial arts club there were people from a multitude of backgrounds and arts. There was Judo, wrestling, karate, tkd, chinese boxing, kenpo, kajukenpo, aikido, jujitsu, ect ect. I got to see a whole spectrum of arts and get a really educated idea of how different arts operated. I ended-up studying aikido in college and joined a jujitsu school right out of college in Austin Texas. I saw alot of things in a consolidated envirorment that I would have never seen if I had just joined a school where everbody did the same thing. Eventually I settled in on something but it let me "play the field" so to speak and see what was out there and what I was more drawn to.
I looked into it briefly, and discovered that my school has a LOT of martial arts clubs. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a single martial arts club that surveys more than one or two systems... and all of them cost money to join, which mean's I'll have to choose between them because I can't afford them all.

Maize said:
That awesome! We have a similar group, usually the folks from the Ministry of Worship committee are the Worship Associates, but others can be as well. For example, when Rev. Nancy does a sermon dealing with GBLT issues one or two of us from the Welcoming Congregation committee will be the worship associates for the day.
Our WAs are all members of our Worship Council. That doesn't mean, of course, that other individuals within the congregation cannot participate in a WA-like capacity during services. Often when WAs are doing their own services, they will draw upon the talents of the congregation and choose people to fulfil the role of WA even though they are not in the Worship Council. And sometimes, if a WA does not want to be the one to LEAD the service (if, for example, they would prefer to plan it and direct it from backstage, so to speak), they will choose someone in the congregation to give the sermon, do readings, and such. I have another service coming up this summer--an all dance one that I'm thinking of titling "Emotion In Motion: The Spirituality of Dance"--I will be having people from the Spirit Dancers group divide up the roles normally given to a WA between themselves. That way, it is THEIR service, rather than the WA's service or the minister's service.

mrscardero

Kal-El's Mama
hello.gif

Welcome back Runt!!!! Glad to see you again. I came back too. Missed RF.
Plus, couldn't let cardero have all the fun...LOL

Glad you came back. Was wondering where you went when I was searching the RF member names. I was wondering where some of the other members went too.
Well. Glad to read you again.

Master Vigil

RUNT!!! I love your new avatar, which you know already :D. Even though I'm sad that you quit Tae Kwon Do, and even though I love the korean arts, you know I am not too fond of Tae Kwon Do so I'm kind of happy you quit. Was that mean? A good traditional Japanese Karate like Shotokan, or Ishin Ryu, would be fantastic!

Oh, and since when is martial arts a geeky thing? ;)

Welcome back, and you have been very much missed!