• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hello :-)

TheStreetsAreOurs

TheStreetsAreOurs
Hi there, just a quick introduction to say i probably wont post anything for a while untill i get used to the board, members and un-stated rules of the forum etc but i look forward to talking with you all in the near future. A bit about me; i generally see myself as an atheist and feel very strongly about my beliefs but i do understand that i dont know everything and probably never will so always enjoy hearing out other peoples beliefs and views on life in general. Also, would like to say thanks to Shyanekh for recommending this forum to me. Peace x

EDIT: That was a pretty poor introduction on second thoughts. Here are some more stuff about me which might help you understand me a little better. I enjoy punk rock, pickled onions and politics. Despite being into punk im a bit of a liberal hippy when it comes to political, sociological and philosophical matters. I play ukulele and i enjoy many alcoholic beverages. I'm currently living in Manchester, England but am originally from good old Bradford. I can say offensive things sometimes but i never really mean them as anything more than a joke so dont take me seriously if i do inadvertantly cause any offence. I hate hypocrites and hypocrisy but in turn am quite a hypocrite, the way i see it, if you're not hypocritical in some way or another, you obviously dont have enough views on life. Would say more but its boiling today so i cant think, hope that was a slightly better introduction anyway, look forward to hearing from you. Peace x

Last edited:

nomadchild

Gone Sailing
Welcome to the forum Murphisaprick! I hope you enjoy your time here! I am looking forward to reading your posts here in the future. Enjoy your day.
-Ian

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What a familiar moniker?!?!? Anyway, this forum is pretty good about rules.
I've found no unstated ones to derail me.....yet. Welcome aboard!

TheStreetsAreOurs

TheStreetsAreOurs
Cheers for the welcome guys, hope to talk to you soon. I would hope i dont stumble into any social wrong doings but im not really used to forums so dont wish to break any social faux pas. Tis good to hear its a pretty relaxed board though :)

TheStreetsAreOurs

TheStreetsAreOurs
Oh no, just realised i spelt it wrong, its meant to be 'murphyisaprick'- murphy is actually a really nice guy but we used to do 'vegetarian wrestling' and the name came from that and for some bizzare reason stuck :) Oh and thanks for the welcome!

Erebus

haha, it's just a way of showing you like/agree with a post. If you think somebody posted something noteworthy, you send them some frubals :D

dust1n

Zindīq
Welcome to RF. Look forward to reading your posts.

If you don't mind me asking; thoughts about private property?

Hey dude, good to be here, quick question though, what the ****** are frubals?

Like reputation points. Click the button with the 'Justice Scale' top right hand corner of post if you find it particularly insightful and/or humorous.

TheStreetsAreOurs

TheStreetsAreOurs
Cheers dust1n :) Coming from an anarchist background, im generally of the opinion that 'all property is theft' which seems a reasonable statement if you think how easily the owners of property, the big corporations, can exploit their workers which is essentially a theft of their skills and labour,, so... makes sense to abolish property? However, i can see its not as clear cut as that, as any society/company/ group of people gets bigger, it needs a way of being governed, so long as this is done fairly i see very little problem but this system does need regulation in order for fairness to be acheived and in many cases this regulation is non existant, meaning the bosses, the owners of property can do whatever they please. I personally think that things would be better if production was run as a community, only serving the needs of the people and not for profit but unfortunately some people 'need' to be governed, hence the shakeup involved in bringing this about would never really happen. Not to mention, can you imagine the bosses of say coco-cola turning round and saying 'yeah, we've had enough with running this now, you guys can take over'- hmph i think not. As an ideology, brilliant, but as far as realistic solutions go for reducing property exploitation, these companys just need regulating and taking down a peg or two. To be honest its a bit of a moral grey area for me and i haven't read up on it too much but in short, that sums up my views on property :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Cheers dust1n :) Coming from an anarchist background, im generally of the opinion that 'all property is theft' which seems a reasonable statement if you think how easily the owners of property, the big corporations, can exploit their workers which is essentially a theft of their skills and labour,, so... makes sense to abolish property? However, i can see its not as clear cut as that, as any society/company/ group of people gets bigger, it needs a way of being governed, so long as this is done fairly i see very little problem but this system does need regulation in order for fairness to be acheived and in many cases this regulation is non existant, meaning the bosses, the owners of property can do whatever they please. I personally think that things would be better if production was run as a community, only serving the needs of the people and not for profit but unfortunately some people 'need' to be governed, hence the shakeup involved in bringing this about would never really happen. Not to mention, can you imagine the bosses of say coco-cola turning round and saying 'yeah, we've had enough with running this now, you guys can take over'- hmph i think not. As an ideology, brilliant, but as far as realistic solutions go for reducing property exploitation, these companys just need regulating and taking down a peg or two. To be honest its a bit of a moral grey area for me and i haven't read up on it too much but in short, that sums up my views on property :)

It seems hard to reconcile anarchy with a government powerful enuf to increase regulation or ensure that people don't own property.
My vision of anarchy is that we may interact with each other voluntarily, with minimal gov't interference.

TheStreetsAreOurs

TheStreetsAreOurs
It seems hard to reconcile anarchy with a government powerful enuf to increase regulation or ensure that people don't own property.
My vision of anarchy is that we may interact with each other voluntarily, with minimal gov't interference.
Ah, sorry, i didnt state where the regulation would come from, i fully agree, a government powerful enough to regulate the companys would be, well, only a tiny bit more terrifying than the gov'ment already is, but still terrifying. No, i meant that this regulation would have to come from an independent group or circle of similar groups, maybe a union movement of sorts? Like i say, i havent really read up on ownership of property too much so im not 100% sure of my views here, something similar to these regulation groups may already be in place actually but in my opinion, they would need more power over the corporations to be able to reign them in in cases of workers exploitation and un-ethical practices.
I see anarchy very similarly too, ive always thought decisions need to be more localised, made by communities who understand and care for the area they live in, decisions shouldnt be made by a gov'ment that dont even know half of what goes on in the country theyre meant to be running!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ah, sorry, i didnt state where the regulation would come from, i fully agree, a government powerful enough to regulate the companys would be, well, only a tiny bit more terrifying than the gov'ment already is, but still terrifying. No, i meant that this regulation would have to come from an independent group or circle of similar groups, maybe a union movement of sorts? Like i say, i havent really read up on ownership of property too much so im not 100% sure of my views here, something similar to these regulation groups may already be in place actually but in my opinion, they would need more power over the corporations to be able to reign them in in cases of workers exploitation and un-ethical practices.
I see anarchy very similarly too, ive always thought decisions need to be more localised, made by communities who understand and care for the area they live in, decisions shouldnt be made by a gov'ment that dont even know half of what goes on in the country theyre meant to be running!

No matter what the source of regulation, be it community, unions, government, etc, if it looks like government, walks like regulation & smells like control, then it ain't anarchy.
It's all academic anyway, since the US is embracing central control....in order to rescue us from the failings of bi-partisan central control.