• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Here Now-What's All This Talk About The Truth?!?

cardero

Citizen Mod

One thing that I see a great deal of on this and other religious forums is the word truth thrown around gratuitously. I thought this thread would be a good way to decipher exactly what those who purport to be the Truth have. A few preliminary questions should be asked.

Do you have the Truth?
Where did you get the Truth (for example, who told you that you possess the Truth)?
What makes this Truth, the Truth?
What Truth do you have that other religions (who also claim that they have the Truth) don’t have?
What do you have to do to convince others that this is indeed the Truth?
If you have the Truth what is the need for one to practice faith?
If this thread uncovers that this isn’t the Truth, would you settle on firm belief instead?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
One thing that I see a great deal of on this and other religious forums is the word truth thrown around gratuitously. I thought this thread would be a good way to decipher exactly what those who purport to be the Truth have. A few preliminary questions should be asked.
I agree Patrick. People forget somewhat conveniently that all truth is relative.

Do you have the Truth?

I never pretend it to be so as that would be a tad bit arrogant.

Where did you get the Truth (for example, who told you that you possess the Truth)?

See above.

Scientific observations for one. There is no scientific observation in religious materials though some would have you believe otherwise.

What Truth do you have that other religions (who also claim that they have the Truth) don’t have?

Honesty. Brutal, unvarnished honesty.

I don't care if others deem my distortions of reality as truth.

Not being religious I follow only my own path and it is a lovely, very pleasant path indeed.

If this thread uncovers that this isn’t the Truth, would you settle on firm belief instead?

People ought to yes, but they are unwilling as that would imply that there is the potential that their primitive vision The Truth is possibly in error and so they trumpet their claims with the hope that their distorted message will get through.

Pariah

Let go
The use of the word Truth and The Truth capitalized, in bold, in italics, and in whatever formatting available to them, has to be one of my greatest pet peeves.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Do you have the Truth?

I have the truth as I perceive it. I don't have any certainty about the truth as anyone else would.

All my experiences, genes, memories, "decisions" all combined to create the perspective I now have. Most people tell me I don't possess the Truth. But I understand that to mean, I "don't possess their truth."

The beholder's perspective.

Nothing and everything.

I don't know. Others might find a thread, a symbol or an image I discuss that fits into their own picture of "Truth" but convincing someone to adopt my perspective is far beyond the power of "convincing."

"Faith", to me, is the neverending process of letting go of the need for certainty and control and seeing the illusions my ego creates that bring unhappiness, suffering and discord to me and those with whom I interact. "Grace" (faith's
ghostly twin) is a symbol to help understand faith is a process and a methodology and not a "once for all time" act, a fixed idea or a specific decision.
I'd settle for nothing less than uncertainty.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
In religions and scientific, if all sources are the same result and and have been done independently....yet between them, confirm each other is this not nearing the truth?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Do you have the Truth?
Yes. And the Falsehood.

It came to me. I set it free, and it returned; so I know it must love me.

There is only one.

None. We all have the same truth. We just apply it to different things.

It can do that itself. There's really nothing I can do in that regard.

Faith is belief in things that we cannot know. We cannot know if the things we cannot know can be true; so we practice fatih where truth cannot present itself.

If this thread uncovers that this isn’t the Truth, would you settle on firm belief
This thread already isn't the Truth, silly --it's the Thread. :)

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Do you have the Truth?

Nope. I just know what I think I know. It seems like I know something, but how can I be sure that it's the truth?

I can only echo what other posters have said: my truth is subjective, and even then, is it really true?

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Truth is the very basis of Chrsitianity, if we do not have the truth and if we are not of the truth then our faith and our hope is groundless.

Do you have the Truth?
Yes, "Thy word is Truth" "I am the truth" Jesus Christ

By receiving the Spirit of the Author of that truth i.e being born again.
It's originator - The Triune Jehovah.
Christ in me and peace with God through Him by faith alone.

Reason with them and pray for them that they will not resist the Spirit of God.

They are intertwined - faith is the very substance of it yet it is more real than anything physical.

IMPOSSIBLE!

cardero

Citizen Mod
Truth is the very basis of Chrsitianity, if we do not have the truth and if we are not of the truth then our faith and our hope is groundless.
I would think that the Truth (no matter how much it helped or hurt) would transcend anyone's "hope".

I’m thinking there might be a slight misunderstanding between the concepts of belief and Truth.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Jesus Christ is the truth, the more you know him the more you know the truth.
I would think this improbable because we have not been given the full understanding of the life of Jesus Christ just a small window mostly written by individuals who favored him and could not possibly pen anything that would discredit their agenda.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru

Do you have the Truth?: I am close to truth though I am not exactly there.
Where did you get the Truth?: In 'Advaita' philosophy of Hinduism (Sankaracharya, 800 AD, was its strongest and most recent proponent). It maintains that the universe and time-space are the percieved manifestations of a universal substrate.
What makes this Truth, the Truth: This is what science also is pointing at.
What Truth do you have that other religions (who also claim that they have the Truth) don’t have?: The non-existence of God, and that the Commandments and Dharma are a construct of society appropriated by religions and not a dictate by any God.
What do you have to do to convince others that this is indeed the Truth?: I am not obliged to do that. Others may believe in other things as truth. But when they are dissatisfied with what they believed in, they may come to my kind of truth.
If you have the Truth what is the need for one to practice faith?: I do not follow any faith. Hinduism is our culture.
If this thread uncovers that this isn’t the Truth, would you settle on firm belief instead?: Not just on belief. I will continue my search for truth.