• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hey Jewish folk...what do we think of Israel's offensive against Lebanon?

Faint

I have no opinion on this matter. I'm looking to get some viewpoints as to what people think of what seems to be a developing war (or maybe a new battle of an old war?)

Obviously the States have Israel's back...but should they? Is Hezbollah a terrorist organization or just a political enemy? Israel also bombs civilians. Is this the beginning of a bigger war?

Anyone is welcome to comment (which is why this is in a debate thread).

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Faint said:
I have no opinion on this matter. I'm looking to get some viewpoints as to what people think of what seems to be a developing war (or maybe a new battle of an old war?)

Obviously the States have Israel's back...but should they? Is Hezbollah a terrorist organization or just a political enemy? Israel also bombs civilians. Is this the beginning of a bigger war?

ok let me ask............

do catholics get asked about the policies of Italy?? Greek Orthodox about the economy of Athens??

so why is a thread discussing the actions of Israel directed at Jews?? there are many jews who don't care for the State of Israel at all. And others who enjoy vacationing there yet identify with the country they live in within the diaspora...

IMPO....Israel is doing what is needed to defend herself and her people. Real Politik, nothing more, nothing less.

i don't need to be jew to understand that.:rolleyes:

Ðanisty

jewscout said:
IMPO....Israel is doing what is needed to defend herself and her people. Real Politik, nothing more, nothing less.

Indeed, you don't. I'm not a jew and I understand that perfectly well.

A

angellous_evangellous

jewscout said:
ok let me ask............

do catholics get asked about the policies of Italy?? Greek Orthodox about the economy of Athens??

so why is a thread discussing the actions of Israel directed at Jews?? there are many jews who don't care for the State of Israel at all. And others who enjoy vacationing there yet identify with the country they live in within the diaspora...

It could have something to do with Israel being a Jewish state, the role of Zionism in Israel's history, the use of the Holocaust as propaganda to futher Israel's causes, and the fact that folks are called antisemetic when they oppose Israel's actions.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
angellous_evangellous said:
It could have something to do with Israel being a Jewish state, the role of Zionism in Israel's history, the use of the Holocaust as propaganda to futher Israel's causes, and the fact that folks are called antisemetic when they oppose Israel's actions.

you know i was going to reply to this but it just gave me an idea for another thread...

good points tho A_E...

Faint

angellous_evangellous said:
Exactly. Most of the jews I know identify very closely with Israel.

jewscout said:
Israel is doing what is needed to defend herself and her people. Real Politik, nothing more, nothing less.
Offensive defense? Sure, why not. Are they going too far with the offensive? Do you think Israel has become more of a puppet nation for US interests?

Deut 13:1

Faint said:

Okay we need to make something clear - Ancient Israel and the Israel of today are two different things. Today's Israel is NOT a state where the Torah is the law. In ancient Israel a defensive war was always permitted and was in fact an obligation. When someone comes to kill you, you have an obligation to defend yourself. Offensive wars were another matter. Offensive wars needed permission from G-d which was obtained by consulting the High Priest who wore the Urim V'Tumim. Permission was also needed by the High Court before the King could launch an offensive war. Then if the war was permitted, there are rules of conduct. warning must be given to the attacked city, they must be given the chance to surrender. No scorched earth policy that would devoid the land of crops and growing trees. No raping, although pillaging was allowed. So while you have several steps where Israel followed the basic outline of an offensive war, it's not to be confused with ancient Israel. Like back then, the government follows similar rules. They showered Lebanan warning people, they gave them time to surrender, we're not bombing their fields, ect... See the difference?

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Faint said:
Offensive defense? Sure, why not. Are they going too far with the offensive? Do you think Israel has become more of a puppet nation for US interests?

Offensive Defense, what?? Hezbollah started this, not Israel. You kidnap people and hold them hostage, you shoot rockets into Israel and expect them to do nothing?!?! what nation does that?????

is israel a puppet nation?? depends on who you ask...there are people on this Forum who think that the Zionists run the US and US policy is based on what Israel and the Jews want...

i say israel is doing what it must, and rightly so. Whether israel shows backbone or not, the attacks by groups like Hamas and Hezbollah will continue. Why people think Israel should give in to terrorism is beyond me....:sarcastic

Deut 13:1

Faint said:

No, Israel is not a puppet nation. Are they going too far with the offensive war? I'd say no, it is usually a carefully balanced consideration of possible outcomes of going to war and not going to war. If not going to war and appeasing dictators and murderers (such as Chamberlain did to Hitler) will in the end be more costly in terms of lives and suffering, then going to war is justified. If, however, there is a true and realistic possibility of solving the conflict peacefully, obvisouly the war option should be shelved. I personally think the time for talk is over, action is needed in the gaza strip and in lebanan. Israel has gone out of the way and shown the world we want peace by giving back areas of the West bank and the gaza strip, how do the arabs react? By using the land we leave them to send rockets to Jewish homes. They don't want peace, they want to annihilate us. The only compromise they would find suitable is one where Jews don't exist, period. That's what I, as a religious 'Jewish Folk' person, say about that. Now, as a presumably non-religious person, what do YOU say?