• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hi again

Syzygy

Well, I'm reintroducing myself, seeing as I have not been on here in a month of Sundays. I originally came on here professing a Gnostic faith, but that is no longer the case. To tell you the truth, I converted to Islam, and I'm a Muslim. It's nice to 'see' all of you again. Hopefully I will be a lot more active than I was previously.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
Syzygy said:
Well, I'm reintroducing myself, seeing as I have not been on here in a month of Sundays. I originally came on here professing a Gnostic faith, but that is no longer the case. To tell you the truth, I converted to Islam, and I'm a Muslim. It's nice to 'see' all of you again. Hopefully I will be a lot more active than I was previously.
Welcome back! Tell us about your conversion. :)

Syzygy

Well, I bought a copy of the Qur'an from a spiritual bookstore here in Omaha called Soul Desires. If you live in or near Omaha, perhaps you've heard of it. A really nice, family-run place that feels holy. I mean, literally, walk in there, and you feel it. It permeates the place. Anyway, I had started to read it as soon as I got it. I tried to read it sura by sura, but that didn't work. Reading online somewhere, one person had the suggestion to open the Qur'an to a divinely-inspired (random) page, and ponder on the words on that page. As I did so, the words struck me. For the first time in my life, I actually revered what a religious text had to say. It was an awe-inspiring feeling.

I was already familiar with the tenets of Islam: tawhid, sawm, zakat, etc. I put off conversion for a while because I had some habits that had to be shed before I could do that. I had to shed them, and try to channel the impulses into more constructive behaviors. Finally, today, I recited the Shahadah in English and Arabic. I consider myself a Muslim from this day forward.

Only thing I'm concerned about is telling my friends. Islam has some pretty strict requirements about relationships, and I will have to work with them as they come up. Meanwhile, I feel much stronger, and I am very excited about my newfound path that has been laid before me. Praise be to Allah.

lizskid

BANNED
Welcome back! I hope as you go along, you can share osme of your experiences with us. Conversion of any sort is very interesting to me.

Syzygy

I think my Islam is more a universal brand, but the practices are definitely Sunni (five pillars of belief except six, for example). Sufism is a beautiful form of Islam that I have yet to fully explore. For now, I will simply continue performing the salat whenever I can and carrying out the other pillars to the best of my ability. Thank you all so much for your support!

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Asalaamu alaykum!

Welcome to the forums, it's always nice to have more Muslims running about here. ;) I'll look forward to seeing you around the boards!

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Hi Syzygy,

Welcome back! I am happy for you that you have found a new "path".:)

Moni_Gail

ELIGE MAGISTRUM
Hi! I'm in Bellevue and was wondering if you could give a little more information on Soul Desires. Is it in Old Market?

Syzygy

Yeah, it's a few blocks away from the Blue Barn theater, if that helps. 1026 Jackson Street. Hope to see you there sometime. :)