• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hi Everybody...I'm Seeking Biblical Knowledge...

VinDino11

Who wrote the Bible?

Can someone produce just 'ONE' verse from the Bible that mentions who wrote the Bible???

I searched and searched (Google) I can't find anything!!!!

One verse that authenticates authorship!
One verse that commands that author/prophet to write that book by GOD

Thanks in advance, will read enlightened answers later....

Dunemeister

Welcome to RF if this is your first post!

What I'd like to know is why you think the questions you pose are important. You obviously think that the lack of an easy answer is a problem for those who hold the bible as an authority. What's the nature of that problem?

Tristesse

There isn't one author of the bible. It's a compilation of many writers. Most of the writers of the bible remain anonymous. But there isn't a "who" when you ask the question.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

What I'd like to know is why you think the questions you pose are important. You obviously think that the lack of an easy answer is a problem for those who hold the bible as an authority. What's the nature of that problem?
:clap clearly a frubal-worthy comment :clap

Jeremiah

Who wrote the Bible?

Can someone produce just 'ONE' verse from the Bible that mentions who wrote the Bible???

I searched and searched (Google) I can't find anything!!!!

One verse that authenticates authorship!
One verse that commands that author/prophet to write that book by GOD

Thanks in advance, will read enlightened answers later....

"I searched and searched (Google) I can't find anything!!!! "

Authors of the Bible - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

VinDino11

A) What I'd like to know is why you think the questions you pose are important.

B) You obviously think that the lack of an easy answer is a problem for those who hold the bible as an authority.

C)What's the nature of that problem?

A) I wouldn't want to be reading something anyone wrote and taking it as divinely inspired!

B) No, people have free will and free to choose and believe whatever they like, even if its not from GOD

C) I never said there was a problem, but if you see one let me know!

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
The Bible has multiple authors, and, for that matter, multiple books.

The first problem you seem to have is, you're thinking of the Bible as a single book, when it is, in fact, a small library of different books. I can help give you a beginner's rundown of the various books and collections.

Let's start with the Old Testament, also called the Hebrew Tanahk.

The first part of the Tanakh is the Torah, or the Pentateuch, often called in English The Five Books of Moses. These are Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. Genesis is primarily prose, and tells the story of the earliest times (which ends after the story of the Tower of Babel), Abraham, Jacob, and Joseph. Exodus deals with, as the title suggests, the exodus from Egypt. The second half of Exodus details some laws, beginning with the Ten Commandments. Levitacus deals almost entirely with laws. Numbers returns to prose, and tells of the Hebrews' journey through the wilderness to the promised land (modern day Israel.) Deuteronomy is concerned once again with laws, and ends with the death and burial of Moses.

Authorship of the Torah has often been credited to Moses himself, as God dictated the entire thing to him. However, scholarship suggests multiple sources, four to be exact. (This is known as the Documentary Hypothesis.) The first source is labelled J, for Yahwist. This source uses YHWH as the name of God. The second is called E, or Elohist. This source uses Elohim to name God. (Elohim literally tranlsates out to a plural form of God. The plural is a form of glorification, I believe.) The third source is called P, or Priestly. This source is primarily concerned with the establishment of the priesthood. The fourth is D, or Deuteronomist. This source is likely the author of the entirety of Deuteronomy.

Before we continue, the Hebrew Tanakh, while containing the same books, does have a different ordering of the books than the Christian Old Testament. I will be dealing with the Hebrew Tanakh.

Next comes the Nevi'im, or Prophets. These begin with Joshua, Judges, Samuel(two books), and Kings(again, two books.) These books deal with the history of the Hebrews as they conquer(or, more accurately, slaughter) the Canaanites, and settle into the land. After this, comes the prophetic books: the Major Prophets (Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Ezekiel), and the Twelve Minor Prophets (Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micha, Nahum, Habbakuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, and Malachi.) It should be noted that "Minor" doesn't mean less important, but is rather an allusion to the fact that those books are significantly shorter than the others. ^_^ The authors of these books are, as far as I know, unknown.

Finally comes the Kethuvim, or Writings. These could be thought of as the miscellaneous writings(though no less important.) These are the Psalms(songs of worship), Proverbs, Job, Song of Songs, Ruth, Lamentations, Ecclesiastes, Esther, Daniel, Ezra-Nehemiah(technically one book), and Chronicles(two books.) With some exceptions, most of these books' authorships are anonymous, as far as I know. (As Jayhawker Soule may shortly remind us, I know very little on the subject. :D)

Now, let's move on to the New Testament.

The first books are the four gospels. (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.) The first three are called the Synoptic Gospels, because of their striking similarities in style, narration, and content. The gospel of John is almost on a plane of its own. Despite the names given to the titles, we do not know who actually wrote them. The names were added by early church leaders as a way of establishing the authority of the writings.

Next comes documents whose authorship we know all too well, as he proudly proclaims his name in the introductions of almost every single one of his letters: Paul.

These run from his epistle to the Romans to his letter to Philemon. With the exception of Hebrews, whose authorship is suspected to be Paul, but is not clear, are letters whose authorships are attributed to the name given to the letter.

The New Testament ends with Revelations, a book written by a man named John. It should be noted that the name John was a common name at the time, so it is likely that this John is completely different than all the other Johns we've thus far come across. (The writing is completely different than the gospel and letters which bear the name.)

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
(This is known as the Documentary Hypothesis.) The first source is labelled J, for Yahwist. This source uses YHWH as the name of God. The second is called E, or Elohist. This source uses Elohim to name God. (Elohim literally tranlsates out to a plural form of God. The plural is a form of glorification, I believe.) The third source is called P, or Priestly. This source is primarily concerned with the establishment of the priesthood. The fourth is D, or Deuteronomist. This source is likely the author of the entirety of Deuteronomy.
Just to note:
  • The Documentary Hypothesis is, indeed, a hypothesis with many, many variants and issues. So, for example, while there is indeed a consensus on multiple authorship, 'books' such as Deuteronomy are often seen as the esult of layers of recension, e.g., DTR(1), DTR(2), etc. I would again recommend Blenkinsopp's Pentateuch.
  • As for the grammar behind Elohim, I disagree with the 'plural of majesty' theory bantered about on the internet, but that's a different thread.

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Just to note:
  • The Documentary Hypothesis is, indeed, a hypothesis with many, many variants and issues. So, for example, while there is indeed a consensus on multiple authorship, 'books' such as Deuteronomy are often seen as the esult of layers of recension, e.g., DTR(1), DTR(2), etc. I would again recommend Blenkinsopp's Pentateuch.
As for the grammar behind Elohim, I disagree with the 'plural of majesty' theory bantered about on the internet, but that's a different thread.

Okeydokey. Thanks. :D

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
Beautiful. :clap

Even without the hand of God, the Bible is great literature.

People often ask me why I believe in the Bible when there is no proof of a God. I try to explain that there doesn't have to be a God and the Bible doesn't have to be inspired for one to live by it. It offers a moral code of ethical living. One can live by that code without believing in a deity. I believe that it IS divinely inspired, but that doesn't mean it has to be. Even if there were no God, even if it weren't divinely inspired, I would still follow it because I see it as an admirable ethical system (at least from the Jewish point of view it is).