• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hip/Hop, R&B, Rap, Post A Good Song.

Fluffy

A fool
Heya penguino,
I find that when the subject of the song is central then it can often put me off if it doesn't interest me. A lot of rap/R&B are about subjects that I don't find particularly interesting so the songs which I do enjoy are those which are either about more interesting subject matter or where you can kinda ignore the words and just have the effect of their rhythm wash over you.

I'm not too into anything that you posted so far except The Dream which I quite liked :). I'm also a big fan of Faithless, Cyprus Hill, Eminem, RATM, Run DMC, Busta Rhymes and Atmosphere amongst others.

PureX

Veteran Member
Heya penguino,
I find that when the subject of the song is central then it can often put me off if it doesn't interest me. A lot of rap/R&B are about subjects that I don't find particularly interesting so the songs which I do enjoy are those which are either about more interesting subject matter or where you can kinda ignore the words and just have the effect of their rhythm wash over you.

I'm not too into anything that you posted so far except The Dream which I quite liked :). I'm also a big fan of Faithless, Cyprus Hill, Eminem, RATM, Run DMC, Busta Rhymes and Atmosphere amongst others.
I agree. A lot of rap has great rhythm, and I tend to prefer music with very strong rhythm. But I find the lyrics often silly and tiresome. I respect the place from which this style of music comes, and hence the kinds of lyrics that go with that, but for me, that tends to trap the style in a boring and unending urban male strut. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you're all so tough and have huge penises and hearts of stone, .... whatever.

I really like someone like Maxi Jazz in Faithless because his music isn't about how tough he is. In fact, it's often about how vulnerable he us. And as a grown up I can relate to the truth of strength through vulnerability.

Faithless - Salva Mea

RationalSoulution

The Evolution of Soul
Good hip hop, lets start here (however i cannot post links because i haven't made 15 posts yet..). I dont listen to the hardcore gangsta stuff, although Mobb Deep has their moments for sure. I wont mention the "legends" like State Property or KRS, as i like to stick current wave of music. You can find these on youtube :).

Mos Def in general (anything he's made... very intelligent man, played one of the main characters in the movie "The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy"). Wrote this song about George Bush's response to hurricane Katrina, very well destroying the previous mainstream song by UTP Called Nolia Clap with true lyrical content.
Mos Def - Katrina Clap (Dollar Day)

Mos Def, High& Mighty, Mad Skillz - B Boy Document
One of the best collaborations to date.

Mad Skillz, Anything by him, he writes for many main stream artists as a ghostwriter, namely P Diddy, Foxy Brown, Mase, Jermaine Dupri. The guy is a lyrical genius and can adapt his style to any one. He's now known as Skillz
Mad Skillz - 2008 Rap Up
Mad Skillz - Ghostwriter

Dilated Peoples, these guys are massive, definitely worth the money on every record.
Dilated Peoples - Worst Comes To Worst
Dilated Peoples - This Way (ft Kanye West)
Dilated Peoples - Back Again

Saul Williams, this guy is a poet, definitely real and down to earth. His new record was released independently online, for free or purchase if you so choose (Saulwilliams.com). He did a cover of U2's Bloody Sunday. He also works closely with NIN.
Saul Williams - Sunday Bloody Sunday
Saul Williams - List Of Demands

Immortal Technique, very political and driven artist, his music is very hard and real, if you're interested in revolutionary hip hop, this guy is it.
Immortal Technique - The Poverty Of Philosophy
Immortal Technique - Point Of No Return

Sweatshop Union, they mock the current music industry, and stand for the poor and the invisible 20% of the world, which include the poor and poverty stricken.
Sweatshop Union - Thing About It
Sweatshop Union - Never Enough

Pharoahe Monch, wrote this song about the impact of guns on lower class America. He's written many good songs as well, very good lyricist.
Pharoahe Monch - Gun Draws
Pharoahe Monch - Desire

Asian Dub Foundation, they are more jungle/dub music...but very upbeat and positive music, also very political in supporting the poverty stricken world, and those wrongly accused and put in prison
Asian Dub Foundation - Free Satpal Ram

R.A. The Rugged Man - Uncommon Valor
Song about vietnam and his fathers battle in it, excellent track; can be found on myspace.com/ratheruggedman

I could go on forever, so ill start naming just artists not mentioned above: Evidence, Swollen Members, The High & Mighty, Saul Williams, Blackalicious, Soul Position, MF Doom, The Roots, Aceyalone, Atmosphere, Brother Ali, Greenhouse Effect, Zach De La Rocha (Solo songs, ask me and ill happily get the unreleased record to you), Jurassic 5, Pharoahe Monch, mc chris, BusDriver, Company Flow, The Coup, Defari, LMNO, NERD, R.A. The Rugged Man and many more....

You should be set for a while with all these, a little google/myspace/youtube searching and you can find quite a few songs & videos by each artist.. sorry if i bored anyone :)

i do like some of them, like Champion Squad, they are not ANYWHERE on the internet, they are so good. the mainstream music is so good thou!!!